1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Jul 28, 2020.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    i wonder how they will handle college players that are seniors if college does not play this year but they finish school. Also, if the NFL cancels, what will be the draft order??

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Means the draft will be more of a crap shoot than usual with no 2020 film to evaluate.

Order would probably be the same as last years draft.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A couple weeks ago I was reading about the possibility of college football being played in the spring of 2021. There are a lot of unanswered questions regarding what it mean to current juniors and seasons and which NFL deadlines would have to be changed around to make it work for the 2021 draft. So far I've seen more questions than answers.

4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Here’s a thought. The Jets are going to give up on Sam Darnold because that’s what they do. They’re stock piling enough 1st round picks to make a real run at Trevor Lawrence. Give them a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd, for Darnold. The kid will win if coached properly.

5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    i would hope the order would change to a random draw, would be fair for a team to get two number one overall picks in a row.

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I could also see them making a move for Lawrence. Darnold has potential, I see a lot of Ben in his style of play. I’d have him over baker Mayfield personally. He could be ruined by the time the jets are done with him though.

If there is no college season the draft will be a total lottery. There will probably be some sort of advanced combine but it will be impossible to evaluate players in any meaningful way.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think the Jets are ready to do that, but I’d trade for Darnold in a heartbeat if he became available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Interesting question I had not thought of. Really screwed up times.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Certainly not right now but if the Jets go 3-13 or 4-12 and they have pick 1-2 in the draft I would not rule it out at all.

Douglas did not draft Darnold and he may want a clean slate with his own guy, I expect Gase to be gone by then as well.

Pure speculation at this point of course.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Draft lottery with a snaking order if they don't play. 32nd pick picks 1st in the second round, etc.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Problem with the lottery is the best teams could end up with a number 1 and top 10 picks. Thats even less fair.

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Perhaps an average of draft position over the past say five years might be fairer than just repeating the 2020 draft. Steelers would probably be in the twenties which is about right.

Browns would love that. They would be top 2-3 if not the first overall pick

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Add me to this list as well. Darnold needs some new scenery. Matt Canada can help as well.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What Blast stated, 2021 will be a nightmare scenario. However, not just for teams. Those Rookies shall suffer barring said players being superstars who don't really need any form of system to work with.

Only a handful of those players appearing in a draft.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The whole thing is a nightmare, even if moved to spring how many top flight draft picks are going to want to play and risk injury. On the other hand those who do play may gain some spots, but high risk injury playing so much football in such a short time period. Millions will be at stake, bit for players and team investment..and you have this years lower draft and UDFA's who are not really going to get a chance for proper evaluation. There is going to be a lot of talent falling through the cracks in the next year or two.

Another thought, I do not know the history of the draft and challenges, but this could be a perfect storm for agents and the supposed top picks to challenge the draft as a whole. They could argue that that not having the opportunity to play and showcase their talent should propel them to FA status. Obviously I know little about labor laws and previous conflicts/challenges, but everything is in uncharted territory now. With the ever (and fast changing political narrative) I could see someone trying to change the whole narrative, and once that door is opened you never know how things could change.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If there is not a college season, I would think any player expecting to be drafted would stay in cooler for another year to prove their worth.