1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lev Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Romans5:8, Jul 26, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not on here to be his apologist, he did not handle the situation well and I am sure he regrets it now. That said, the team could have handled things better too.

Re lying to teammates I seem to remember him intending to come back until he discovered quite late that he would still accrue the season if he sat out, making it prohibitively expensive for the team to tag him again the following year. At that point he made a decision to protect himself from injury knowing he could hit the open market the following year.

What I’m getting at is that I am not so sure that he lied to teammates, more that he changed his mind as the deadline to return approached after realising that he would be able to hit free agency after the season regardless of whether he came back or not.

I’m not sure who he ghosted but I do remember some of his former teammates ransacking his locker upon realising that he wasn’t coming back and putting the act out on social media. Is it any surprise he cut contact? I often see him interacting with Steeler players on SM as it happens and there doesn’t appear to be any bad blood there.

Again, I am not his apologist, I just think there are two sides to the story.

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Didn't make up facts. I feel like he held the team hostage for 2 seasons. Was he on the roster for two seasons without playing? No. Did his actions/decisions/brainfarts negatively impact the team for 2 seasons? Yep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I won't argue the two sides to the story angle. You're most definitely correct there. But when a teammate tells you, "I'll be in uniform next week" and then changes his mind and doesn't show up, I call that a lie. That's just me.

And one other thing while this dead horse can still be kicked...the statement has been made numerous times about him holding out of training camp or pre-season or the regular season or his grandmammy's birthday to protect himself from injury. After holding out the preseason, he played his first game as a Jet and rushed 17 for 60 and caught 6 for 32 and a TD in a loss. Dealing with shoulder soreness in Week 2, he finished with 68 rushing yards and a lost fumble in the Jets' second loss. So much for being refreshed and healthy after sitting out an entire season.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He ghosted them before that. He had told them he would be there for the opener. When the holdout continued into the regular season, some teammates reached out to ask him what was going on and he did not respond. This was long before the thing with his locker.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Which second season are you talking about? Are you referring to 2017, when he was a huge part of the team's success and made some spectacular plays to give them a chance to rally against the Jaguars in the playoffs?

He absolutely hurt the team in 2018, but his production more than made up for the distraction in 2017.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, he started slow that season, but was back to form by week 4 or 5 if I recall. He was terrific in the playoff loss. He also had that killer 236 yard, 3 TD snow game in Buffalo where he was the entire offense.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He wasn't Blast. that's for sure. No running back is. The Steelers did offer him a deal in the 60 mill range for 5 years I believe but he rapped he wanted 17. He got what he deserved going to the Jets for less then the Steelers offered. But no fret. he has his rap career to fall back on :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yet he still does not have his record breaking deal. For that matter, I expect Derwin James and the Los Angeles Chargers to beat Jamal to the punch.

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm talking about the ordeal leading up to and through 2019. He was committed then he wasn't. He was signing but then he wasn't. He allowed us to believe there was an offer/situation that he would accept. But that was a lie. The two seasons he held us hostage were 2018 and 2019. I know you will disagree with my position, and that's okay. It's just how I feel.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He played for the Jets in 2019. It was the 2018 season that he held out. Did you mean to include 2017 as a year that he was holding the Steelers hostage and hurting the team? That year he ran for 1,291 yards and caught 85 passes for 655 more yards. Those were all career highs.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If it were just about any other player in the league, I'd agree with you. Adams is the best safety in the NFL, and he's young. Of course he's going to cost a premium, because he's worth it.
    The defense wasn't the problem last season, that doesn't mean it won't be the problem this* season.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    According to many that would be Tomlin or Ben.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A safety with 2 ints in three years, not paying him 15 million or more a year, he's better in the box than in coverage. I would rather give that money to Minkah.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're smarter than this.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He may be and interceptions alone are not the best way to evaluate any defensive back, but Adams certainly isn't worth that much more than what the Steelers gave up for Fitzpatrick. I think they are comparable players. Neither was happy with their old team, but Fitzpatrick wasn't nearly the ass about it that Adams was in his complaints about the Jets in general and his coach in particular.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do you think the Seahawks gave up too much for Adams?

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I do think they gave up too much. I think the value for both players fall somewhere in the middle of that and what the Steelers gave up for Fitzpatrick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think ultimately it depends on where those 2 first round picks end up being. As it is right now, I'd call it a fair deal for both sides.
    The Steelers stole Minkah, no question about that. This trade proves it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    That's because the Gase fallout in Miami was over. Jets implosion still in code red.

20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    No. I stated explicitly that I felt he hurt the team in 2019. The ordeal leading up to and through the 2019 season. If he had accepted the tag and played, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Imho, he hurt the team in 2019 because of his shenanigans. I am fully aware that he suited up for the Jets that season. But the decisions a player makes in the offseason factors into the upcoming product on the field. He held us hostage in 2018 and 2019. That is my position.

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean but you listed a select few. What about deion sanders? The 49ers don't win that ring in 94 if they dont sign him. He then turns around and goes to the cowboys and they get back on top.

What about reggie white? He goes to the packers and they win the sb.

If you look at the greatest players in nfl history they all were superstars. So to say they dont translate to rings is false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

New York has been on CODE RED since the retirement of Joe Namath though. Sure we can account for those New York Jets teams of the mid to late 2000s but even after that, New York went back to the basement of the league.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I somewhat agree.

Those picks are apart of the equation. How Jamal Adams performs in his inaugural debut in Seattle is another aspect of it. I really want to say Minkah but Jamal Adams is no slouch.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Can you imagine both of them suited up in Black and Gold...

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

One can dream!!! :)