1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Mason Rudoph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mason didn't have AB last year. Ben started 0-2. We don't know how Ben will operate with this offense get minus his top receiver. It didn't start well last year, hurt arm or not but mason was supposed to thrive? Let's not forget no fullback or starting running back either for most of the season. We have no idea if Ben would have cared any better with what was on the field last year. Now we have given Ben shiney new toys to work with. Mason didn't get that luxury. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason needs work. Reminds me of the Carr brothers that do not thrive without everything around them being a perfect scenario. :shrug:

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As I said Ben wasn't fairing well either. He had most of the team available at the beginning. So it's really hard to assess and say either way. Everyone likes to just dump on mason. I like mason to neal O'Donnell before the super bowl game. He got us there and won us games for as much grief as he gets. I like the kid and I liked O'Donnell at the time. Was he TB? No. Is mason ben? No. I didn't expect them to be. They are who they are and if it takes the whole team to win games that's ok too.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree about Mason being is who he is. We will need him if Ben doesn't come back from the injury. I just don't think he has enough to make waves before his contract with the Steelers expires. If Ben finishes out his contract on the field, Mason doesn't really get a chance to become a quality starter. If he is able to adapt to the speed & timing of the NFL, I see him as a Ryan Fitzpatrick type. A good journeyman QB that plugs the gap until a team decides to move forward. Imo, he will not be in Pittsburgh very long, Ben will be hard to measure up to.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Masons mechanics are kinda unorthodox. Most of the qbs that don’t have good mechanics end up forgotten and lost

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Phillip Rivers does ok with a good running game while admiring his sidearm shotput. Mason should have 2 quality tes if he has to go. Fitchner should use a QB under center if Mason gets the call this year. Maybe the oline is limiting what the OC feels comfortable with. :shrug:
    Maybe it's Mason's footwork. :huh:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Steelers may have long term plans for Mr. Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is he going to be Tomlin's replacement?

That's a great rumor! Even though it will never happy it can provide a little thinking about it:hehehe:

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Possibly, but David Carr had no chance to thrive at all. Granted Houston was an expansion team, but the dude was sacked 76 times his rookie season. I do not care who you are, that kind of abuse will make any kind of success in the league nearly impossible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin might have gave the Rooneys an exit plan that parallels Colbert's & Ben's. New GMs like to hire "their guy". :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe he will have a few sons that win SBs.

Mason looked green last year imo. He seemed to hold onto the football when he had time. Pretty stationary back there in the pocket also. I won't get into him stepping into his throws but when he did the ball had velocity & was on a rope. More lob to it like some of Ben's throws not like the stinger's Terry threw.

I am rooting for him but seen much better coming out of the gates. Also seen much worse. The IT factor is what I don't see in him unfortunately. I'm spoiled by watching 2 hofers win in spectacular fashion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Very True and we can hope that Matt Canada can change this and in a hurry.
    Canada is known as a task master. Why some players don't care for him.
    But he will make your offense better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh they have watched and seen this guy in action across the hall when he was at Pitt
    I am sure they have had several conversation with Matt in the past, he has a very good offensive mind.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That makes sense but I don't know if there is truly a "plan" for Ben and Kevin to leave so that means we have MT indefinitely. [mod edit - don’t go there]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what I have said all along about him. Mason did well with what he had to work with last year. He kept us in games against the Seahawks, 49ers and the Ravens which were all top tier teams last year and in each of those games he came close to pulling it out (with the exception of the Ravens obviously). He beat the Bengals, Rams and Colts. No one was expecting much after Ben was out, but I think Mason showed potential. Ben's rookie year he was a game manager with a great defense. It wasn't until his second year that he started slinging the ball, but even then he was being handcuffed due to the great defense and a great run game. Mason will be just fine. Although, I hate to see any QB sit on the bench for too long. However, it didn't work out too bad for Aaron Rodgers (of which I am in no way offering a comparison of the two).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am shocked that this thread has stayed active and I'm even more shocked at how many excuses people can come up with for MR.

Regardless of the apparent unlimited excuses, his fundamentals were terrible last year and the odds of anyone fixing those fundamentals at this stage of his career are pretty slim.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    4B30026F-970A-4AD0-BDA4-0B22975BA950.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm with you on this subject. A lot of posters seem to think he could be a starter in this league. I'm far from an expert on QB's but I just don't see him as anything but a career back-up and hope he is not needed for more then a few games.

Bring back the Duck!!;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mason would need 2 WR's with Lynn Swann ability and a offensive line like the Hogs of the Redskins back in the day to at least look effective.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not to mention the Steelers believe in defensive head coaches despite what the current trend is and how defense is being handcuffed more and more.

22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    His numbers from last year on a train wreck of an offense are not train wreck level so I am not sure where this idea that he was abysmal is coming from. He wasn't good but he also was not horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Ben also had Moncrief running as the #2 WR.. Johnson was still very raw and barely used.. Washington didn't really catch on until later in the season, once Moncrief was gone. now, we've added Ebron and Claypool.. the offense is in much better shape this year.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He and Duck were the leading reasons why the offense was a train wreck followed closely by poor offensive line play.

The running game suffered because no one respected the pass. Got benched for a QB that was cut and only on the squad because Dobbs was traded. He was pretty dang awful in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Maybe in your eyes but not by the numbers. 62.2% completion, 13 TDs 9 INTs, 6.2 YPA, 82 Quarterback Rating. The YPA is not good but it also is not horrible for a backup. Overall those are not awful backup numbers. Would I want someone starting with those numbers? Hell no but people need to stop acting like he was a tragically bad backup. Maybe people need to watch more backup QBs around the league to realize how bad they are as a whole. Btw, he was 5-3 as a starter, again not bad for a backup.