1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree. Dud or late blooming Stud?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Jul 18, 2020.

Which one?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2021.
  1. A) Stud

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. B) Dud

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. C) somewhere in between

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Considering his draft position (Was he highly touted by anyone not named Tomlin?) has me voting Dud. I would go with in between if he wasn't a first round pick.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am still of the opinion that he was over thinking stuff the first three years and at the last second would freeze and just bull rush. Ziggy Hood had that problem as well was a weight room warrior who just bullrushed the blocker back into the pocket but could disengage from the block to grab the QB. If this was a normal year I would be paying close attention to if he builds on last season's performance and continued to improve go a more well rounded player.

Sidenote I know that the board has discussed Bud season and what may have led to it a lot however one of the points I tried to put out was that I thought Joey Porter was running his group in a way that wasn't what Butler wanted. This week the gave title bumps to two assistant coaches and one was the OLB coaching assistant. In the announcement it was talked about not retaining Porter and Butler working with them. Sure made it seem like Butler was hands off when Porter was the position coach and hands on now. Still seems to me that at the cost of team play Porter was going to do what he wanted and Butler wouldn't challenge him on it. Maybe im wrong but if Bud improves in year 2 with Butler as his position coach as well as coordinator it will support my thinking more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought for sure someone dug up an old thread.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Really wanted to say somewhere in between but I think he is finally living up to his ability. As thorn stated, too much thinking and not enough acting and reacting. He seems to have finally broke through.

Sadly, too little and too late. T.J. Watt is the future. Bud will have to finish his career elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I am fishing for some thoughts on why he will be making the most on our defense next year Glemm. Helps my blood pressure.

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Watt wasn't listening to Peezy? Dupree is an enigma after last season. Then again it took James Harrison awhile to get rolling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Butler is a hell of a linebacker coach. I just don't think he is very good as a defensive coordinator. I do think having him working more directly with the outside linebackers last year helped Dupree.

I don't think Dupree is a great player. I think he is a good one and an excellent fit for the Steelers' defense, but no way is he worth the money he is going to get next offseason.

Dupree was a highly-regarded prospect going into the draft. I don't think the pick was a reach at all, but he had a lot of developing to do on the pro level. He also had some injuries derail him early on. I just hope they can find a viable replacement in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is it exactly. Very good player in an excellent scheme that plays to his strengths. The injuries early in his pro career rarely get mentioned as a factor in his underperformance but I think they were quite significant.

That said, he is not worth a large long term deal, nor can they afford to give him one.

Hopefully they have unearthed a gem in Alex Highsmith, it would be great if he could slot in to that role from next season.

As for Bud, he could probably play in a 4-3 as a DE as well as OLB so he will have plenty of suitors. I do think the Steelers scheme has been a key part of his success last year so ‘buyer beware’. I’ll wish him well, whatever happens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think this will Bud's last season for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    My thoughts also Scribe. Would like to see him stay as a piece of our defense (based on his performance last year). Disco nailed it in his thread that franchising him was the smart move for the Steelers based on one year of quality play. Also agree that resigning Watt will push him out the door.

Injuries did play a factor in his play but I also seen alot of being out of position from him to question his desire to get to the QB or set the edge. One year of being up to par isn't grounds for a long term contract. He does well this year & he will see his big contract, probably not with the Steelers. Disappearing again will not help his image of being franchised worthy. Considering his motor I think it's in his best interest to push for everything he can get this year pay wise. I'd like to see him become a force whether it's on the Steelers or not, it will just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    didn't i read somewhere where Porter was back coaching for the Steelers? If we mostly agree that Bud was better with Butler's hand on coaching of outside linebackers and not so good with Porter's hands on, then could you explain why did we bring Porter back?

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Nah he was fired after 2018 season

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Somewhere in between.

No doubt he will get paid, just depends on market and what someone is willing to shell out for him. He may hit bonanza, or have to take less than he feels he is worth. I think he have a stellar career in the right situation, being the '2nd' piece in a tandem like he is now, I do not think he is ever going to be that one guy to build a defense around. Thus the problem for the Steelers, you have to pay TJ because he is 'that guy' to build your middle De around..but you cannot pay both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Money is a great motivator especially when you can get more. If you really looked at his whole performance last season its not all it seems. I will leave it at that. His big payday will hinge on a similar performance this season as long as the GM/Coach of another team just focuses on the highlights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It was a contract year always helps.

I think Bud is an average to above average pass rusher. He's a 1st round pick so fan expectation is high on him to perform at a huge level.
    So most used to call him a bust until last season when he broke out a bit.

I think it helped that TJ Watt was a monster and usually two good outside backers who pass rush work good in tandem's.
    See Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene
    See Harrison and Woodley
    It works well in pair's of two.

I think Bud benefits having Cam on his side usually too.

Steelers are doing exactly what I would do. Keep him around another year, let him go.

Keep the funds for Mr. Watt because he's heading to 100+ million deal.

Then we got to hope someone likes Ola or Alex High Smith become the next guy.

16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He proved last season that he's capable of meeting expectations. That takes him out of the dud category. But he's going to have to produce solid results over time to be considered a stud.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's no big deal, it's only for one season.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My opinion on Joey is and was that he was just beginning his coaching career and teaching raw talent might not have been his strength. You look at TJ and his talent and who his brother is helped him immensely. Basically Porter just had to unleash him. I mean there a guys that can break down what a player is doing wrong and then retrain them the right way. Listening to Wolfe and Tunch at training camp the last three years you can tell here are a couple of guys that know the little things likd hand placement, foot placement, little tells a player gives off presnap. Some of the best players in sports make terrible coaches because they can't articulate what is natural talent for them to lesser talented individuals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is certainly possible that playing for a contact was what finally got Dupree to put things together last season. That is one of the reasons I have been in favor of franchising him, but not giving him a long-term deal. If it really is just about getting the big paycheck, he will have that motivation going for him this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well good thing is he was in prove it year last year... Also same same this year. Better the Bud better the us but he ain't staying which a handful never do especially after a SB win hahahahahahH

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We just went through all this with Bell. A better more motivated player up until he took time off. If the players don't like the tag, they need to negotiate it out of the contract they keep approving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Still in his prime. I believe he can. However, the scheme has to fit his play style. He cannot just go for the money alone.

If he does, he will not last very long.

23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Actually, his play style needs to fit the scheme. He's not in a strong position to "go for the money." A franchised player is in a good position if they produce. If not, their value decreases significantly. If he puts up pre-2019 numbers next season, he'll be a mid-tier LB looking for a mid-tier contract the following year with another team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wonder who voted stud? I'm guessing bigbenhotness, surely wasn't Heinz.

Still sticking to my dud vote. If he played for Noll, well he woudn't play.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I disagree.

Bud is best suited for a 3-4. He is not as malleable as some may believe. A 4-3 SAM 'Backer he is not. Regarding your statement of going for the money, that will not be his decision entirely.

Teams will willingly throw money at a player if that player can fit or if they have a higher value in that player than said players previous team. Take Amari Cooper. Washington wanted him in the 2019 NFL Free Agency period. Jerry Jones paid him top dollar. Has he performed to that level?! No. However, that is not the main point of Free Agency.

The player usually ends up winning as that player is free to sign to the highest bidder. In the case of Bud though, I would sign to the place where the scheme can maximize my talents. Of course, the money is key but simply signing on to the highest bidder carries some risk for the player if that scheme does not fit their play style.