1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward not sure if he plays in 2020 or not:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Spain is one of the hardest hit in Europe. Their curve doesn't come close to ours though.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

They managed the outbreak while we buried our heads in the sand and prayed it would go away in the summer.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not all of us. In Connecticut, the latest daily data report shows 78 positives out of 12,594 tests (0.6% positivity), zero deaths and only 77 people hospitalized with Covid in the state. Not bad for a former epicenter.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Ryan had sickle cell trait. Ordinarily no big deal. When he played in Denver, I'm assuming from the altitude and exertion, he went into "crises" where his normal red blood cells start to sickle. When those cells sickle, they no longer can carry oxygen correctly, and in severe cases, can even form blockages in small blood vessels. Long and short of it, he ended up needing a splenectomy. Damn near died.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Right about now I’m ready to say I can deal with the cold and leave the south. These people are just plain ****ing stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never. It's Cam's decision to sit out or not. I support that 100% as long as he plays.

As far as the pandemic goes, I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated that we are half a year into this and NO ONE knows what's going on. Our governor (WV) just this week told us that we MUST wear masks in public. Then he added if you're over 9 years old and where social distancing can't be maintained. What the crap is that? I went into Lowes two days after the executive order was penned and half the customers weren't wearing masks. It's all just lip service from the top down.

We just started back to work and the numbers were down. Then the protests started and thousands across the country were allowed to chant and march and burn cities. Maybe the heat from the burning buildings kept them from getting infected. That's why they were allowed to forgo social distancing, right? They couldn't transmit the disease to each other because they had a beef with half a dozen cops. Now the numbers are way up again and we're blaming people going back to work. Bull crap.

And the masks? What mask is necessary? N-95? Bandana? T-shirt? If we're going to mandate wearing masks, why isn't there THE mask to wear to actually combat the spread? It's because masks are just the Covid protection soup-du-jour. They keep us from spitting on each other. Terrific. Problem solved. Bull crap.

And then there's China. The Chinese have been wearing protective masks for years. They ALL wear masks. And obviously there isn't a problem with Covid in China, so we know masks are working. Ugh.

Just let us get back to our lives and let natural selection run its course. I'm sick of all this. Sorry, but people die. People die from the flu. They die from heat exhaustion. They die from obesity and famine and poison and crime and accidents and all sorts of other things. And people die from this strain of infection. TELL us the best way to protect ourselves and get out of our way. Let the hate-fest commence.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

they did tell you. Wear the freaking mask. Quit worrying about what other people are doing.

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Ps the riots and protests started in may. It’s freaking July

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I saw an article on Fox News of all places that cited a recent study that shows that double layered cloth masks (not bandannas or tee shirts) and basic surgical masks can reduce the wearer’s risk by 65%. N95’s are overkill unless you are in close quarters with a known COVID patient or in a high risk setting like waiting in an ER waiting area. I have some great Steelers cloth masks. My wife got them for me on Etsy.com. Just go there and search for Steelers Masks, and there’s a bunch.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My MIL made me seven dbl layered ones, half with ties,half with elastic and i swap them out regularly. My dad ordered some nice Steelers ones that he is gifting me one of. Pretty sure my mom the resident seamstress that she is would be cranking them out more than the high chair tie ins she mass produced throughout my life if only she wasn't trapped in Sacramento since February. Why can't I ever get trapped on vacation in California?

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So Ryan Mundy started in the wild card game. He played poorly and kept leaving his assignment to creep up on Tim Tebow. Mundy was out of position in OT Going up to Tebow and gave up the Denver Game winning touchdown. He was cut immediately after that. Immediately, in my opinion still took to long. Grrr...

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    In other news, we now have the Copper Fit face mask, Only $20...:roflmao:
    Not kidding.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  14. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Hold on now... maybe he's just acknowledging that what he does is not that important. Not important enough to risk his life or anyone else's (family or others that might come into contact with him). Not as important as what you or @BURGH43STEL do (and thank you for your service... where we live people come out on the streets most days at 7pm and make noise in thanks... what you guys do is important... what cam does is not.... watch a movie or read a book instead :) )

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bye

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    thanks princess

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Well, let's take a metric like Covid deaths as a % of population. I'd say that's a pretty serious measure of how well your managing the disease. The US has a lower % than the UK, Spain and Italy, all have restarted sports for weeks. I guess they don't have the risks we have or will have. If the players don't wanna play fine, it's your life, your health, do what's best for you. But like the guys roofing the house next door, unless you show up for work, you don't get paid.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not really. We are clearly experiencing massive outbreaks here which makes the chances of catching the virus much greater.

If those numbers are still that high come September, there won’t be a football season. They need to get to where NY is now and have 2 months to do it.

Maybe they get there if states stop putzing around.

Effective treatments will determine a lot, too. Treatments that cut down the length of time being sick and decreases the rate of deaths.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ok, so we're hopelessly mismanaging this thing compared to our enlightened brothesrs inEurope. But somehow fewer people die. They will, soon, you say. Count on it. Ok, I'll wait

Rah rah rah, go go go Covid19

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I’m rooting for covid, it’s only laid waste to my business. Not being in denial about something doesn’t mean you are rooting for it.

We are mismanaging it, terribly but I guess if everything is fake news, you won’t see it that way.

Don’t know who you think is having fewer deaths but it’s not here.

Whatever afan, I’m so Goddamn sick of having this same conversation with people. Believe whatever the hell you want.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Sounds like someone needs a snickers...

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    People changed their tune here in Florida when the positive rates started skyrocketing. Well the ones that had common sense. I imagine if one's neighborhood gets flooded with Covid people will think twice.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some people just don't get it. No matter what you say it doesn't matter. It's like they need to get infected with a serious case of COVID to understand.

They don't take COVID19 seriously enough and as a result everyone suffers and will continue to suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    15000 new positive test results in FL on Sunday...:eek:
    Yeah 15,000 in 24hrs. Trying not to be dreary but holy cow.​

25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What did they tell me? What mask am I supposed to wear? We have been told to simply wear "a mask."

But we're told that the N95 is overkill unless you are in the medical field or working closely to affected people. Overkill? Really? Because no one in the medical profession has been infected, got it. The N95 is named for its ability to be 95% efficient at stopping particles in its least efficient particle size range, roughly 0.3 microns. 95% efficient, awesome. So 95% is overkill. Got it.

The C-19 particle is much smaller, but we're also told that it isn't airborne and that it is ONLY transmitted attached to a larger particle, like water, mucus protein and other biological material generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. So we're told to wear masks. Where's the mandate and stress to keep your hands clean at all times. Sneeze into your mask and then what? Walk around Wal-Mart for the next 45 minutes with snot between your mouth and mask? A higher percentage than the efficiency of an N95 says you remove your mask and try to remove the goo. Then what? You've now infected your hands.

And we're also told that hand sanitizers aren't a reliable substitute for washing hands with soap and water. So we're relying on a mask that will collect the bacteria and a less than reliable substitute for cleaning our hands while out in public.

And then there are the bloated positive test results. I personally know of 8 people who tested "positive" after going to the hospital for completely unrelated issues. One was a car accident and he didn't even know he was tested for Covid. They patched him up, set his broken leg, and told him he needed to self-quarantine. So half of us are carriers with no symptoms, just waiting to get t-boned in an intersection to find out. Got it.

My beef is not about an aversion to wearing a mask. It's the misinformation, mismanagement, total lack of awareness filtering down to us, and ultimately, the obscene amount of time it's taking to figure this thing out. Like I said already, I'm beyond frustrated with this.

• Like Like x 1