1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early retirements

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 9, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could this covid 19 virus spark some early retirements from older players close to retirement anyway? Say like ben. Brady. Pouncey. Do they really need the money that bad to suffer through a messed up season and putting themselves and their families at risk? All these guys still have a hefty retirement from the league. Anyone see this happening?:cool:

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe, but a lot of those players may get a season without the usual wear and tear - either voluntarily or involuntarily. That could allow them to play effectively a year older than they otherwise could. No need to jump the gun and retire now.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

Yes

4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Brady certainly isn’t retiring. In fact he is working out with teammates even when asked not to!

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can't quite figure out why Ben extended myself. He has already made a boatload of millions.

If he is still playing to further his legacy (stats, another SB) I think he will play.

If he is still playing because it's hard to pass up $40mil/per year I'm not sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Didn't think of that but I can see it happening. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Ben bounces back. Would really piss me off if he is not under center for this strange season.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I wondered that too. I'm thinking it's for his children and future grandchildren futures.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You can risk getting Covid 19 or get another $8 to 30 million?

Where do I sign up?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I guess it depends on how many $8 to 30 million they already have.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They cant draw from the retirement fund until age 55 so they better have saved up enough money to carry them to 55....

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hey these guys could have a major knee injury live with it forever, and they keep going back to that money well, even though they don't really need it anymore.
    Brady sure as heck doesn't, but he just keeps going!

12. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Ben said a few years back that his goal was to match Bradshaws 4 rings. He can realistically do this before his contract expires. Seriously, this team has the pieces to do it.

Should this actually happen Ben signs a 1 year extension to attempt to become the 1st and only QB to win three consecutive SBs.

Pouncy aint leaving till Ben does.

Covid-19 is losing its fear factor. Cases are going up but that's only because testing is going up. The majority of these new cases have no symptoms. Deaths are declining. The media isnt talking about this fact but people are starting to realize it and aren't nearly as scared as they were 4 months ago. I don't think we're going to see many covid related retirements. I could be wrong but....nah! I aint wrong. I never am!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I thought Ben would get 4 SBs after his rookie year. He is proving me wrong so far. Popcorn hasn't helped much with his drafting philosophy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No these guys are competitors, they think they have a good chance at winning the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess I'm just talking about guys that have made millions already and were contemplating retirement soon anyway. Just wondered if it would make their decisions easier. Many could go into the booth or on one of the many talk shows and make millions more. It's not like football is all these guys would be wanted for. The networks would pay guys like ben and Brady and others big money for pregame shows.It's not like they will be poor if they retire if they managed those millions with any sort of responsible way while playing. I think bens kids and grand kids will not want for anything in their life times without an extra 20 mil.. :cool:

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    These guys are risking accumulated injuries that often kill them before they're 55, the don't seem worried.
    A high % will have their brains turned into mush, before they're 50, Not an issue.
    Go to to after hours club in a bad part of town where people get shot regularly? What can go wrong?

But Covid-19, that barely effects those in good shape and under 40? That's waaaay too Risky!

These guys routinely and cavalelery take far far bigger risks than this and think nothing of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know how many if any will retire before the season but God forbid a player gets it and dies in season, what then?

They’d probably immediately cancel the rest of the season, so would be moot at that point anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems like Ben wants another year at least. Pouncey, maybe. I could see him retiring. Marsha will play until he has a bad year and nobody wants him.

19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Since they will have some sort of opt out negotiated by NFLPA that would likely involve them not owing bonus money I would expect them to go that route until next year.

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    These are young strong men. They aren't gonna die from Covid. I've had about enough of this bs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm: Me too.

• Like Like x 2
  22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No way brady retires. He wants to win a ring without belichick

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

https://globalnews.ca/news/6963878/coronavirus-nurse-muscle-loss/

While these two survived they are both young and in great shape and fortunate to have lived if you know anything about spending time on ventilators.

I’m sure out of 150,000 dead that there have been some very healthy strong people who are among them.

Edit: 2nd video wouldn’t load, click the link for story and pics.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    He better plan on playing somewhere other than TB.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s 1% only in critical condition but still it’s too much. Wear the damn masks, keep your distance and wash hands. People readint this yeah I’m a sheep but whatever

• Winner Winner x 1