1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says Feiler will start at LG at camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Jun 23, 2020.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

This is ridiculous. Leave Feiler alone at RT. He's done well there.

We brought in Wisniewski, who has started and won 2 of the last 3 super bowls. We drafted Dotson.

There's no reason to have Feiler at LG.

I do however agree that Alualu should be the starter at NT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree with leaving Feiler at RT. He's been solid and why mess with 2 positions instead of just one? I know we have two young tackles waiting for an opportunity, but continuity on the line is too important... Especially with limited reps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Let the madness begin. But hey, Aviators did such a fine job with the OL last year, why wouldn't we expect them to be just as well-coached and productive this season? #facepalm

4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Popcorn could F*** up a one car Funeral smh

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't want to read much into this but what does it say about theif confidence in Pouncey? The only reason I can see to move your starting RT to left guard over a proven vet who's natural position is LG is if you are concerned about the learning curve during this limited off-season and you want Wiz to focus on learning the plays under center. Otherwise this is beyond bizarre for them to move.

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They are paying Wiz $1.5m per year, that’s backup money, and I think he was signed to be the primary backup Guard / Center. I’d be absolutely astonished if he takes Pouncey spot full time.

They want to see what they have with Chuks at RT. They invested a third round pick in this guy and in his third year it’s not totally crazy to think he can make the position his own. The only way they’ll know is by putting him in there. Banner is also on the roster

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do or that it’ll work, just that I can see why they are doing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly. I imagine as camp moves on we’ll see some shuffling of players along the line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They probably brought Wisniewski in to play that BJ Finney role, backup guard/center.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I was thinking more along the lines of some type of injury for Pouncey that limits him or forces him to miss the early part of the season. Even though Wiz is getting backup money its a strange move to move a guy from his established position to another when you have a proven guy sitting on the bench

As far as Chuks and Banner go they shouldn't need to be handed the spot, if the coaching dtaff want to see what they have in them then they need to put it on tape. If they out play Filier then the job is theirs.

10. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Maybe Feiler can handle the snap responsibility like Ramon used to do... better than wiz...and don't overlook Banner getting the nod at RT..dude is a beast and looks to be ready to compete...

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Thats a given that Wiz comes in if Pouncey is hurt. I don’t know much about Wiz but he was a backup at his last two teams and ended up playing due to injuries. Perhaps He is not able for the wear and tear of a full season as a starter and that’s just his level, albeit I know he did well when he had to play.

I wasn’t suggesting handing the job to Chuks or Banner, what I think they may be doing is giving them the opportunity to win it. That’s difficult to do if you’re not getting first team reps in practice alongside the guys that play week in week out.

That line is getting old fast and there is only so many draft picks you can throw at it in a given year. I said in a separate thread recently that ideally you want one of Chuks or Banner to claim a starting job soon. If they do, Feiler can move to LG where I think he would be a beast, making life easier for everyone on that line.

That’s my take on what they are doing and I don’t think it’s a completely unreasonable approach. We got a glimpse of it last season in the Chargers game. Chuks player RT and Feiler LG and it looked good, their best performance on the ground last season I think. Small sample size of course.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they start Wiz and Pouncey, then Wiz gets injured they have no backup center, the same deal when Finney was here he mostly played when Pouncey was out.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly SteelCity the team needs to see what it has in Chuks and Banner. Tomlin once stated that Banner has "$50 Million Dollar Tackle Ability". Time to find out.

Overall, this is panning out just like I thought it would. Find out your future at Right Tackle is the first step. Next step is to see how effectively Chuks can be as the swing tackle. Should he prove great, he is then next in line to supplant Big Al after seasons end. If not, likely going to have to draft an Offensive Tackle early in the draft come 2021.

In all honesty though, Chuks panning out assists the overall plan for the 2021 Draft in a big way.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I watched a couple of Chiefs games last year with an eye on Wiz at left guard. I thought he played very well and held his own and a natural left guard. Fieler played well at right tackle for us. Never have I seen Chuck and Banner play well at right tackle. To me moving our good right tackle to guard and keeping Wiz on the bench while starting an unknown just don't see it.

I'll be surprised if it stays that way during the season. Another perplexing move by Tomlin.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I get that we want to see what we have in Chuks and Banner, but what about Feiler as a long-term RT. To me he has been the best RT we've had in a while. I think it's easy to say he outperformed AV last year.

Can Banner or Chuks play LT is the real question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    There may be a couple of reasons beyond just wanting to see Chuks and Banner at tackle.

Firstly Matt Feiler is a big powerful man and much more of a road grader than wisniewski. If they want to lean on the run a bit more in 2020 to give Ben a chance to find his way back then Feiler makes a lot of sense at Guard if you can get capable play from one of the aforementioned Chuks / Banner at RT

Secondly if you are going with an interior of Wiz, Pouncey and Decastro all three are on the wrong side of 30 and you’ll be moving on from them sooner rather than later. If they want stability in the medium term then moving Matt Feiler now might make sense as he is only 27 afaik. If he can play there long term and Dotson slot in to DD’s spot eventually then they are set once they draft a center. All that is assuming one of the two young Tackles works out of course.

That’s purely speculation on my part, haven’t heard or read anything from the team to suggest that’s why Feiler may be kicked inside but it makes sense to me. This move may be part of their long term thinking for the offensive line. Foster is gone and life without AV, Pouncey and Decastro is looming. I wish they’d extend Feiler now because I can see him being more expensive after the season.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Zach Banner's blocking style and limited lateral agility is what is most concerning though. Even dating back to the Pre Season last year, he had some trouble. Sure he has dropped a good amount of weight and looks much better but how much better can he be to man the blind side?!

As for Chuks, becoming the future at Left Tackle was supposed to be the plan for him after getting drafted. However, things has not worked out for him. This is the year to prove it. One apsect he does have going for him is his athleticism; great on tape. However, athletic ability will only carry you so far; all the more reason that I hope Chuks is ready for what is to come.

Regarding Matt Feiler; dare I say he is the best Steelers Right Tackle in the past two decades. I do not too many Right Tackles sans Marvel Smith that came close... and I do not even believe Smith was as good as Feiler is. That said, Feller has something neither Chuks or Banner possess; versatility and familiarty. As such, kicking him inside will make life just as easy for Pouncey as it did when Ramon Foster manned the Left Guard spot.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At least there are multiple options as RT on this roster, the LG options are pretty slim. It makes sense IMO.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

Foster offers some great insight to this situation also some stunning insights on losing BJ Finney.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Great find!

Far be it from me to doubt what Foster states. He knows those guys better than I remember to pick up Salmon for Dinner for the weekends!! This all being said, as Dejan mentioned, assuming Stephen would be chosen over Matt Feiler to assume the role of Offensive Guard, who is supplanting Stephen?!

Kevin Dotson would be the popular choice here. Derwin Gray is another. However, two unknown commodities at the position in a time where physical reps are essentially out of the equation make this very difficult overall for the youngsters. The same can be said for their competition heading into the season but to now not have a fail safe behind Maurkice Pouncey and entrust the backup Guard position to two kids?!....... That would he quite the leap of faith.

21. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    If Pouncey gets hurt, They have no backup after Wiz,Same deal

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No matter WHO they start there... Will be way better than the ****show that's been Foster the last few years

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So basically Foster said what some of us are saying. Keep Matt F at right tackle and Wiz with his experience at left guard. This is especially true on what may be shorten preseason with limited practices. Just common sense.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The coaching staff feels differently, you notice Finney didn't play much in the lineup with Pouncey.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Wiz hasn't been a regular starter since 2017, they probably signed him to be more of a backup at G/C.