1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Hargrove DUI

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Jun 19, 2020.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

You are soooo right! I mean who hasn't driven thru a storefront in their time? Hell, I've done it a time or two. And when I did, I always made sure I drove back home. I mean no biggie, It could happen to anybody!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's time for Bill to hang it up, even a few years ago he kept calling Antonio Brown Antonio Bryant, and this happened a lot.

But, I hope they don't hire Rob King, nothing against Rob he seems like a nice guy. But, think the Steelers could use a new youthful future voice.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If you completely read my post you would know how this situation should be handled. So please, stop with the holier than thou nonsense which the first part was about.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Holier than thou? Another logical fallacy. Attacking someone to make an argument is ad hominem.

Did you not write, "How many here have never violated a traffic law, went 10+ miles over the speed limit, rolled through a stop sign, gone too fast in a school zone, etc?"

It seems your logic is that because someone was speeding or rolling through a stop sign that we should somehow look the other way for someone who got hammered and crashed into a store? Sorry bro, but I've never done that before and that is some bad sh!t. If I do get faced and then drive through a store, I will expect swift and harsh punishment for myself.

Hard to take your argument seriously when it is full of logical fallacies.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    On a lighter note, is anyone surprised that Hillgrove was still able to pick up his prescription?

"Hey sorry I just drove my car through your window, but can I get my prednisone please?"

I wonder if he got out or they just brought it to the car window.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When I was a much younger man and my oldest nephew was barely out of diapers(he is 27 now) we had a man drive through the yard and crash into the brick planter attached to the front steps. He had had some sort of medical event and lost consciousness. It was freaky because three minutes before I had my nephew in the front yard and we went in for juice and boom felt the house shake.

He caved the planter in but no damage to the steps or house. Thankfully the driver was unharmed. We lived diagonally across the street from the police department and it was hysterical trying to get the cops to understand. Finally had to tell the 911 operator to have an officer look out the front door and then they grasped the problem. Two minutes later a patrol car pulled around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know this store. It didn’t have a drive up window until he installed one. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Since everyone is pulling bits and pieces from your post, I wanted to highlight this part of it. This part is key to me. Punish him to the extent you would punish anyone else for a DUI. I havent heard of this being a regular occurrence with Hilgrove. Let him apologize publicly, and lets move on from this. I don't know Bill Hilgrove, but I would imagine he's feeling pretty embarrassed over this. I can't imagine something like this happens again with him. If it does, all bets are off.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I tell you I wonder if his medications have changed recently. If this is an out of character event for him and he had a medication change in might be reacting with alcohol in a different way and that hit. Not that it excuses anything just wondering out loud. I also want to yhrow out there that it is a hard time for everyone especially our elders and not having the ability to visit their friends and family like normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I was just going to point out the same thing. At 80 years old, it may have only taken Hilgrove 2 beers to be intoxicated if he is on blood thinners or some other medication to increase blood flow. The fact that Hilgrove said "The car just got away from me" made me wonder if a prescription drug, or prescription drug had something to do with this.

I am not making an excuse for the guy. He needs to know the risk of drinking on any medication he is on. But we all do make mistakes.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This rationalizing sh!tty behavior is disappointing. Actions have consequences and worse actions usually have worse consequences. I've certainly made my fair share up F-ups and paid the price for them. Getting smashed and then smashing into a store is not a whoopsy-daisy. That's a damn, I really f#$×ed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Rob King had his own DUI matter a few years back I recall. So did one of the Pirates upper management guys - Peterson? Not to mention Kang. Seems to permeate the Pittsburgh sport scene. 80 years old and full of booze is not a good combo and I'm kinda an old coot myself but stopped drinking about 14 years ago - no need for the high any longer. Probably time for Bill to step aside anyhow. While I love Dick Groat and all his accomplishments, his announcing of Pitt hoops was bottoming out before they let him go.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not as impressive as this :eek:

Gets up and walks into the pub. Those English blokes are serious about their pints.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    OMG:eek:

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This is one of those things where being in the public eye makes it worse.

If Bill was working at some factory he probably keeps his job, but since he is in a high profile position it is not certain his job is safe.

Those are the breaks.

This story hasn’t been picked up by national media yet, and I have heard anyone else raise a stink yet, so maybe he has a chance to keep his job, we’ll see.

Just look at Ray Rice, what he did was awful, but if there was no video of it he might still be in the NFL, it’s all about the optics of it.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I had read somewhere that Bill had had a previous DUI, but I don't know if that's true. I live about a mile from the store in question. I can tell you that Bill is a familiar face at the local watering holes. And when the story hit the news, I was not the least bit surprised. That doesn't convict him, but I very much doubt that this was a one-off event. For what it's worth.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The guy has been rumored to have an alcohol problem for some time. Many times on air it sounds like he was not all there.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Probably not as funny as Harry Carey near the end though.

19. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    He was never good. He had his moments but too much of a homer announcer. Tunch is too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Typically NFL home team radio announcers are homers.

But Myron, would dig into the Steelers if they were playing bad, he pulled no punches about it.

"Da Steelers have been El Stinko on 3rd down all day."

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I posted this before so sorry for repeating, but it’s related.

In Myron’s book he said he had a DUI and had to go to school down on the south side. He was afraid he could find a place to park and went early. He got there more than an hour before class. So naturally right before DUI class Myron went to a bar. And who wouldn’t want to say they bought Myron a beer? Myron went to DUI toasted. First thing the instructor said was everyone had to take a breathalyzer to start.........

• Like Like x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I only got the chance to meet Myron Cope once. Giant Eagle used to have a private tent on the practice field during training camp back in the 90s. I got a chance to meet Cope outside the tent. He was pretty well intoxicated when I meet him.

23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    That's why I love Myron. I'm some what spoiled on the west cost. I'm a die hard Lakers and Dodgers fan so it's hard to live up to Chick Hearn and Vin Scully.

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

I have been dormant for a while here. Lurking but not posting. I have had some decent interactions with TuRnDoWnForWaTT over my time here. So, maybe I will give him/her a lapse of judgement on this one. I agree 100% with you Mac. TuRnDoWnForWaTT's comments are totally inexcusable, irresponsible and completely outrageous. I do not need to go into statistics for this topic. Bill Hargove screwed up big time. THIS TIME he was very fortunate if in fact no one got hurt including himself.

I would dare to say that this is probably not the first time Mr. Hargrove did something this irresponsible. It just may be the first time he got caught by law enforcement. Some mistakes are forgivable and sometimes second chances are awarded. I hope that Mr. Hargrove takes all that into consideration. He dodged the proverbial bullet it would seem. At least to the degree of not injuring or killing someone including himself.

I hope that Mr. Hargrove takes a good long look in the mirror and has a serious heart to heart with himself. Maybe TuRnDoWnForWaTT needs to do this as well. I love what Mr. Hargrove has done for our team over the years. Him and Tunch are dynamic on the air. That aside, if he needs help, he needs to get it quickly. If this was a one time isolated event he still should get the appropriate help. Once is too many in this situation.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It appears the drive in window has been repaired.