1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

At Least We Won`t Have to Make a Logo Change

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jun 17, 2020.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m thinking the ethnic stereotyping purge is on an the NFL won`t be immune. The Redskins name and logo has to be on the chopping block. Even food affected. Uncle Ben`s and Aunt Jemima just got the ax.

Maybe Chiefs too, but somehow that seems a bit less offensive.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Chiefs might bow to the pressure because the Hunt family have a moral conscience but Synder is a dick and won't change for anything. It will be interesting to see if the tomahawk chop is done away with as well because its demeaning and offensive

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dan Synder is not going to do anything unless forced to do so by Goodell. Keep in mind that Dan Synder has an Ocean's worth of controversy already in the past three seasons alone. For that matter, the only thing Dan Synder will do is be as desperate as the other 31 teams to force Goodell to push onward with the 2020 NFL Season.

That said, the Redskins logo has been called into being changed several times over. Perhaps this time it will happen. However, I am not going to hold my breath on that.

4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't know. I'm sure there are people out there that oppose steel production. And those who don't are evil and just rape the world for their benefit. You may think i'm kidding, but I assure you, I am not.

I'm sure that the Vikings are gonna be cancelled as well. The idea that they glorify white men who use force to murder, rape, and steal. In Minnesota no less. You may think i'm kidding, but I assure you, I am not.

The Patriots are in trouble too. To be patriotic in this country is to be complicit in it's abhorrent nature. Including the subjugation of women and minorities through the Patriarchy and systemic racism. To be a patriot suggests that, not only are you fine with these atrocities, but you're actually proud of them. You may think i'm kidding, but I assure you, I am not.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Great. Another thread for people to tiptoe around subjects like race and politics that are not open for discussion and debate on this board. As a moderator I’ll just toss out a friendly (for now) reminder about some subjects being off limits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This is about the time that younger fans of the team who may not know their Steeler history yet and I do mean yet will typically bring up having the Steel logo on both sides of the helmet. It is also when we as older fans can share the tales of glory with them and why it is only on one side and will remain so.....

Also why block letters are better and no cheerleaders but mainly block letters.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Steering clear of a political debate, but this is spot on. You just cant win sometimes. At this point in history, nothing is politically correct, if enough people take to social media and say that it is not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well put. Unfortunately, TRUE history does not have a platform. Meaning it has been molded to fit whoever's narrative a 1000 times over. Tearing down statues (which I think statues are pretty lame to begin with ala the whole false idols thing in the good book) don't change history but will over time aid those who are rewriting it if not just outright dumbing it down, leaving out facts and/or simply just by slight of hand picking and choosing which cultural aspect of it sticks to the wall versus telling "A" whole story.

The majority of supposed offended folk aren't really offended. They're actually offended by the never ending proposed crutch being thrown at them that keeps making headlines. Simply put, most "affected" folks could give a rip and actually clown the narrative as well as take pride in The fact that they beat a supposed rigged system. They like the fact that their own WORK actually paid off. No emblem change, no renaming, no statue removal will ever suffice. Research the megaphone holders and follow the money... It's a driven agenda force fed to the masses via many channels and all I can tell you is the majority of all groups affected
    Are not offended and furthermore see no honor in the constant idea of reparation being pushed.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thread is gonna get locked but love the simplicity of our logo

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Clueless on Uncle Ben; Is Ben and Jerry next?

FYI>
    Where did the UNCLE BEN'S® name originate?

The story goes that in the late 1940's, Gordon Harwell, one of the founders of Converted® Brand Rice, and his partner were dining in their favourite Chicago restaurant. They were discussing how they were going to market their product to new customers, they began to discuss the legendary Texan farmer, Uncle Ben who was known for his exceptionally high quality rice. So right there and then, they christened their product Uncle Ben’s® Converted Brand Rice. The face appearing on all Uncle Ben’s® packaging is that of Frank Brown, a maitre d'hotel (head waiter) at an exclusive Chicago restaurant who agreed to pose for the Uncle Ben’s® portrait.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have always heard rumors that the NFL, MLB, and the NCAA were going to ban the TomaHawk chop.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Answered my own question...

LOL. I am living outside the box; because I did not know it was a racial slur to refer to someone as an "Aunt" or an "Uncle"

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :smashbengals::goodellsucks::clowns::clowns::bungalssuck::ratbirds::ratssuck::boorats::bungals:Ravens, Browns, and Bengals all need to change. Their names offend me. Even more, they suck.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    What about the Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Panthers, Dolphins, Cardinals, Ravens, Bengals, Lions, Colts and Seahawks? Shouldn't they be forced to include all the other animals into their team logo's? They could pick from a hat every season and switch it up to be more inclusive. If nothing else it would be a genius marketing strategy.

Whats wrong with having...

Atlanta Pandas
    Chicago Iguanas
    Philadelphia Elephants
    Carolina Giraffes
    Miami Flamingos
    Arizona Ant Eaters
    Baltimore Hippos
    Cincinnati Lambs
    Detroit Bunnies
    Indianapolis Hamsters
    Seattle Unicorns

After all, everything has to be inclusive these days or someone may get their feelings hurt.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It should be banned just for being obnoxious

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This wouldn’t be good for the gambling. Who would ever take the bunnies over the elephants?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe I’m naive, but I always thought of Aunt Jemima as some sweet lady I would want to hug and eat pancakes with. And I’d gladly have a beer with Uncle Ben.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, any old farts remember when the women’s lip movement wanted to rename manhole covers to personhole covers? Seriously.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not that old, but I bet my grandmothers cookie jar is a no-no these days. My sister's still rotate ownership of it yearly, it's a family heirloom.
    (stock photo)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ain't holding my breath on finding out that "Mikey likes it" won't be inclusive enough... you think O'l Cracker Jack gonna make the cut list? Will the Jolly Green Giant feel left out? They better leave Mr. Stubbs alone!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not the "Aunt" or "Uncle" part that is offensive it's the caricature it represents that is the problem. I was talking to the wife about this the other day and whether Disney would pull the animated Peter Pan from rotation. She asked why what was offensive in Peter Pan? I said Tiger Lily and the Indians. She was like oh yeah right that was kinda of cringy What makes the redman red. Again a caricature of Native Americans that mashes lots of separate parts of different tribal culture into one tribe for what amounts to laughs.

So if there was an African American woman who founded a business that sold pancake syrup or a Southern gentleman who made name for himself selling a solid rice product it wouldn't matter what they chose as advertising in this case it is large companies profiting from selling the notion of comfort food based on a stereotypes from the past. Sooner or later it was bound to happen.

The really sad part or crazy part is that we associate certain foods or products with a perceived cultural bias. I mean would you rather have fresh sushi prepared by Tom a four generation Japanese-American that has never been to Japan, didn't take a single culinary class but looks the part or Steve, your neighbor from three doors down's son who was a pothead but turned his life around and attended a culinary academy specializing in Japanese cuisine but looks like Jim Breuer in half baked? I mean most would chose the Japanese looking guy and they would be wrong.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This is oddly specific......

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I do have a good imagination it helps with my writing lol.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure there are people who are unable to distinguish between long-held views of injustice, supported by decades of scholarship and debate, and knee-jerk silliness from one or two people on Twitter. You may think I'm kidding, but I assure you...

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Steve......................................Is that you??????????