1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Corona virus deter you from going to Heinz Field this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018

Feel like a lot of women are a lot easier on the eyes when there masks are up too....
    lol.. hey just being honest

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a few hand made Steelers face masks. They're cut accordion style like surgical masks, so they're very comfortable. Yesterday my wife and I went to an outdoor restaurant here in CT, and ran into another Steeler fan and his wife, and we talked Steelers for a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    4 months ago if you walked into a bank like that an alarm would have been pushed. Now you won’t be left in.
    Times changed quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How many people want to be in the "5%" that are "healthy" and get sick or die from contracting COVID19? Who wants to transmit COVID19 to loved ones who might die? Who wants to suffer from the potential consequences of contracting COVID19 (change mental status, lung damage, kidney failure ect) and live?

I understand that most "healthy" people who contract COVID19 will be fine. When COVID19 "activates" in people with or without health conditions there can be serious consequences.

Forget conspiracies, forget politics, forget the numbers, forget people's opinions, ect. COVID19 is the real deal.

Keep in mind that there are millions (more than 5%) of people in this country that suffer from underlying healthy conditions (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, kidney disease, obesity, cancer, COPD, ect). Should we let those people contract COVID19 and potentially die? I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I really don't know how the league will have a season this year with COVID19 still plaguing us. Will players be sequestered from their families for the entire season? What if a player or an entire team contracts COVID? Will the team forfeit a game or two?

We can only hope this virus goes away never to return. That does not appear to be the case at this point.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the NHL is going to show us what is going to happen.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't often agree with you Burgh but I'm behind you on this. I'm the most at risk to contract it in my family due to having to go to work everyday now I not at the greatest health risk in my family even though currently suffering from high blood pressure and hypertension. My son is my greatest concern because even though he is a reasonably healthy 9 yr old, he has weak lungs and his asthma can flare up under certain weather conditions. When the temp reaches minus 15 in the winter which it does alot in Northern Minnesota we don't send him to school or take him outside. So I worry about infecting him if exposed to Covid-19 and the virus not killing him but weaking him to where a case of bronchitis has him hospitalized. This is a serious issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Rumor has it that Las Vegas is one of the 2 hub cities that will host the NHL playoffs(shocker gambling) supposedly there are two hotels currently not taking reservations and have no one in them. I still think the logistics of it is going to make Normandy look like a practice exercise but who knows.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If you have a strong stomach, google "covid lung transplant picture". A lung they took out of a 20 something year old girl in Chicago, during a double lung transplant. Then tell people its "Just the flu".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Look what Ohio State is doing to their football players.

First the players must sign a waiver releasing the school of any responsibility if they get the virus, then the player is tested for the virus, and finally the School is refusing to tell anyone the results of those tests.

You have to love the irony in this process. Are they helping or hurting these kids? Sounds to me like it is more about C.Y.A. at Ohio State than student safety!

I know some of these major universities will be able to do their own coronavirus testing inhouse, so they might not want to release their positive tests results to the public. Would it be legal for them not to inform the local health officials of positive tests?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't believe waivers would protect Ohio State or any other program from a civil law suit in relation to players contracting COVID19. Probably similar to the way the NFL wouldn't be protected if it had it's players sign waivers from the effects of CTE.

There are individuals in our society that place profits over all else. Those individuals don't care if the end result of attaining profits harm it's employees and citizens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  13. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I have a feeling we're gonna see fans in the stadiums.
    After hearing the amount of revenue lost by team, city and state, they're going to bring in some crazy lawyers to draw up an iron clad contract that you have to sign 48 hours before entry.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

This is the kind of news I’ve been hoping for. I expect even more advancement before the season gets here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Let's add some context here. First of all, I've seen how Italy explained that, and I don't recall any mention of "extreme" underlying medical issues (I'm guessing the "extreme" was added by a "media" person with an agenda), just that there were underlying conditions present in most cases. The top ones were hypertension, heart disease and diabetes. Well, in the US we have a LOT of these underlying medical issues, and not just in very old people. Over 100 million adults in the US have hypertension. Over 18 million adults over 20 have coronary artery disease. Around 13 million have diabetes. Add in other things like asthma, cancer and ailments associated with smoking, and it's hard to find a lot of middle aged American adults who don't have what are considered "underlying medical issues."

In NYC, there have been 3,892 confirmed deaths between the ages of 45-64. 3,469 had underlying conditions, 75 did not, and 348 are pending further review. This is not a group of people that are in nursing homes. These are people out and about in society, many of whom have to work at critical jobs. A lot of those Americans have multiple underlying medical issues. Also, there were 688 confirmed deaths in people aged 18-44, so it's clearly not just an "old" persons' concern.

While it's proven true that C19 is very unlikely to kill a person under 65 without underlying medical conditions, the population of Americans under 65 with underlying conditions is quite large, and a lot of them don't even know it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    My money is on treatments being developed that significantly reduce the severity of disease helping us get back to normal ( or near normal) before a vaccine. There are other promising candidates. Famotadine (Pepcid) had significant success in a very small, informal study, and is now going through a more rigorous study. The small study results weren’t enough to draw conclusions, but were enough to spur a real study. Interestingly, when my wife had COVID back in March, and I was exposed, I was taking Pepcid daily for heartburn, and if I had COVID it was mildly symptomatic (I had something, but don’t know what for sure because of testing limitations at the time).

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would be a game changer. Obviously cutting down on the amount of deaths is most important but keeping health care systems from being overloaded is huge in avoiding shutting down the economy again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on the advance in the last 1 month, there is certainly optimism for where we might be in 3 more months.

As long as people don’t act like idiots and think this isn’t real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw this also, I doubt there will be any season. Then Gov. Dewine from Ohio comes out yesterday and
    says that he doesn't think Ohio can host HOF festivities. I would have loved going over to Canton
    just a short 2hr trip for me to see all the Steelers fans celebrating like we can do. Not going to happen.

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    there won't be a NFL season this year. At least I don't think so. I"m ok with that. Tired of all the protesting.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Death rates from Ohio are 0.015%. NY is a hot spot at 0.085%. A survival rate of better than 99%. Most of the affected deaths from Corona/Covid are among the 75 and up age group. I believe this is completely media driven and political in the most absurd way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I noticed that if I wear a hat and force myself to stand tall all the young girls can see is my eyes (which the ladies always liked) and from a distance they give me a look. Once they get close and see I'm older they run.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Steroids wouldn't be used to fight covid19. They are used to diminish a hyper active immune response (cytokine storm). It can be a delicate balance.

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Your numbers are off by a factor of 10 in NYC. In NYC there are 17,433 lab confirmed deaths in a city with around 8.55 million people. That’s a population fatality rate of 0.2%. If EVERYBODY in NYC has had C19, those stats say that it’s 2x deadlier than the flu which has an infection fatality rate of 0.1%. However, it’s really unlikely that the entire population of NYC has had C19. Random serology testing done around a month ago showed a positive rate for antibodies of around 25%. If you take that as a reasonable estimate of the infection rate in NYC, you get to an infection fatality rate of 0.8% - 8x deadlier than the flu.

I haven’t seen any population serology study results in Ohio. The only thing I’ve seen is an estimate that 3.3% of Ohio residents have had C19. Working through the numbers using that 3.3% gets to an infection fatality rate of 0.6% - 6x deadlier than the flu.

Nobody will know for quite some time what the real fatality rate is, but you’re not going to find a credible medical/scientific source that says it’s nothing to be concerned about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    One other thing on the numbers. Your statement about a better than 99% survival rate is probably right. I think it’s probably going to end up being better than 99.5% when factoring in improved treatments. However, given that it will likely take at least 200 million infections to achieve herd immunity in the US (if herd immunity can even be achieved) that still comes out to over a million deaths if C19 is allowed to just burn through the country without mitigation.

The flu has a survival rate of 99.9%, and vaccines to significantly limit the spread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.