1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Corona virus deter you from going to Heinz Field this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I subscribe to that theory. :shrug:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is that you, Mendy??

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I would hope someone in charge here will stop this nut job from continuing to piss people off. Mods,?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For a while there was a shortage of masks and sanitizer. Now there seems to be a run on tinfoil hats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Please STFU with you BS political nonsense.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now, now, as some guy posted earlier:

I would hope someone in charge here will stop this nut job from continuing to piss people off. Mods,?

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! But if you talk to those bat-**** crazies....they "know" we didn't:cool:......because they don't know the difference between "knowing" something and "believing" it.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Would criminal surprise you when it comes to our media or government?

But here is the real issue. As was pointed out in that article, when a hospital gets HUGE amounts of money for saying someone has COVID, or saying someone needs a ventilator, what do you think is going to happen?

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Exploitation. Or in another word politics.

Nothing new really Stone...:shrug:

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Certainly not new but reaching fantastic proportions when you're talking about destroying the countries economy and countless livelihoods.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Using raw state by state data on excess deaths above monthly average, and above upper bound threshold (at 95% confidence interval). This is raw death data for all causes (not just C-19).

NY City
    for the 164 weeks from Jan 2017 - Feb 2020: 2,697 total deaths above average, 184 deaths above upper bound
    for the 13 weeks from Mar 2020 - May 2020: 25,848 total deaths above average, 24,854 above upper bound

New Jersey
    For the 164 weeks from Jan 2017 - Feb 2020: 3,349 total deaths above average, 185 above upper bound
    For the 13 weeks from Mar 2020 - May 2020: 16,636 total deaths above average, 15,580 above upper bound

New York State (not counting NYC)
    For the 164 weeks from Jan 2017 - Feb 2020: 3,947 total deaths above average, 294 above upper bound
    For the 13 weeks from Mar 2020 - May 2020: 12,830 total deaths above average, 11,559 above upper bound

Massachussets
    For the 164 weeks from Jan 2017 - Feb 2020: 2,899 total deaths above average, 146 above upper bound
    For the 13 weeks from Mar 2020 - May 2020: 7,382 total deaths above average, 6,471 above upper bound

This is raw data available from the CDC here: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

The CDC website allows you to download spreadsheet data in .csv format. You can specify whether to include C-19 deaths. I chose not to. There's plenty of uncertainty over the accuracy of the C-19 numbers, but the excess deaths for all causes say it all. In some cases in NYC, excess deaths for a week were 1,400% of normal. That's 14 times the number of deaths normally observed for a given week of the year.

Keep in mind that these massive excess death numbers in the hardest hit areas occurred with strict mitigation measures being imposed very early on. What would the excess deaths been without mitigation?

Bottom line: There's plenty to debate about how this has been handled, and what should be done going forward, but no intelligent conversation can be had on the subject with a person who actually believes that this is fake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Good work, SteelElvis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'll respectfully disagree with your 70% number, and I'll leave it at that for now. I will keep gather info and trying to make sense of covid-19 as whole, but right now it seems that might not be possible. I'd rather not discuss the topic here though. I have a feeling it makes the forum higher-ups nervous when members go back and forth on this topic, and I don't blame them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One of the things that is going to be really sad in this challenging time is that the honors that should being talk about for Troy, Coach Cowher, and Donnie Shell will be overshadowed by the current situation. I was watching a YouTube video on Troy and hearing his teammates talk about him and watching his amazing career and what normally would be taking place will be shortened or rushed. It just seems sad.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Troy probably wants a humble reception. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Or without fan emotions. I don't know what those speeches will be like without and audience?

Will they even be live at all; or broadcast from someone's home, or maybe even recorded at an earlier date?

17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    The only thing you need to know about China is that it is the most racist country in the entire world. They truly believe they are above every other culture in the world and are not afraid to act on that assumption. They persecute religious minorities, ethnic minorities and anyone that doesn't look like them or think like them. They will slaughter their own people to keep order if that's what they need to do. If you think China is some kind of mecca for anything you are a fool. But then it's so easy to hate your own country for it's faults. I'm getting so sick of politics intruding into everything I can't tell you how bad I feel. After my cancer surgery I have not recovered after over 7 months. I come here to forget about that for a while. I'm now being treated for depression and I want to say that this site really helps with that depression. To read that there are people here that think a country like China is some kind of example to the rest of the world does not help. I don't want your pity or anything else. And I should just pass on reading on those posts I don't like. I get it. I thought the Steelers would be a welcome distraction this year from my issues but now you have goodell, a man with absolutely zero moral center, encouraging people to prostest druing the national anthem. Bob O'brien says he will take a knee as well I'm sick of all of it. Violent anti cop demonstrations being lauded all over this country. Organizations giving money to leftist organizations in order to prove they are "onboard" with their agenda. I'm just sick of it. Sorry for this rant and the mods can feel free to delete it if they feel it's necessary. This site has meant a lot to me during my time at attempted recovery. Just thought the folks here should know that. After 24 years in the military I view the disrespect shown at the national anthem a direct repudiation of my service. That's ok. I regret the time I served for this country. Regret the friends I lost, the blood I spilled. Regret it all and wish I were not alive to see this.

18. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018

I wrote this about an hour after Trump released where his next rallys were going to be.

Here we are about a week later and guess who's having "grotesque spikes"(per cnn) Florida, Arizona and North Carolina.

By the way, When they say they're having spikes, it's comparisons to the last month(which have been basically incredible low) and no where near the spikes we had in March. But they dont tell you that either.

Anyone want to guess Oklahoma is next for a big spike.

by the way, still nothing from the Ozarks, the jersey shore, and now the riots.. I mean looters... I mean protesters are in prime, going to die soon, zone.

19. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I'll look for the article but Italy openly admitted that 95 to 98% of their covid 19 deaths had EXTREME underlying medical issues.
    Essentially covid 19 was the single straw to break the camels back but gets the credit entirety.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    People, tone down the political rhetoric.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    :facepalm:...ignorance is bliss.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now, I would feel comfortable going with a mask or face shield. I still wear a mask when I go to the grocery store. At first I felt weird wearing it, like I was going to an extreme. Now, in public, I feel naked without it.

I live out near Hooterville. I have noticed the lower the education/social level the less likely they are to wear a mask.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wear one of those face coverings you pull over your head, I just leave it around my neck and then before walking into any place, just pull it up. Pretty cool, feel like a bandit going to rob a coach.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, thread will be locked if there are anymore outbursts. You all know where the line is, please be respectful of TTF’s rules and abide by them.

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Wearing a mask at Heinz Field would have benefits. You can pull it over your eyes if the Steelers play bad, and you won't have to watch 2nd rate half time acts that Rooney's hire for $5.

RIP B.E. Taylor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.