1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Corona virus deter you from going to Heinz Field this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Now people who are asymptomatic don’t spread the virus?? Wasn’t that the main issue in the first place?? This has to be the greatest mass mind control experiment to have ever occurred on the human race. We are all pawns and mindless lemmings.

Ive been skeptical from day 1 felt like an agenda but still stayed inside and wore a mask to be a decent human and protect others. Feel used and dirty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/fac...coronavirus-spread-experts-have-mixed-answers

In this article, Fox News had initially reported that experts have "mixed answers" on whether masks help prevent transmission of Covid 19. That was retracted. In the editor's note at the beginning of this article they acknowledge that the study they had cited for saying that masks don't work has been retracted by its own author who said that their methods made the results "uninterpretable."

Study 1: an aggregation of study results from 172 studies across 16 countries and 6 continents, including over 25,000 people. The 216 studies included recent work specific to SARS COV-2 and past studies on the other major betacoronaviruses SARS and MERS. The studies looked at physical distance, masks and face shields. The aggregation of all of this study work shows that masks are effective in limiting (of course not 100% preventing) transmission, and that physical distance is very effective (duh).

Study 2: 4 people coughing into petri dishes from less than 8 inches away (no exaggeration).

For a news outlet to even report that this constitutes "mixed" results is pretty irresponsible. Yes, a big chunk of the media has been painting this as armeggedon for all, when mortality has been heavily skewed towards the older population. However, false reporting that downplays measures to reduce the spread is pretty irresponsible, and a little editor's note a few days later doesn't really fix it. The damage is done by a lot of people just reading the title of the article.

I've looked at a LOT of science publications online about prevention of this virus (ignoring the news outlets), and I've seen nothing credible that suggests that masks are not at least partially effective in limiting transmission. The WHO was one of the last holdouts saying that there was no evidence supporting mask use by healthy individuals. They reversed that guidance on June 5, and discuss situations where mask use is beneficial for "source control." (see 519kb download under "technical Guidance", page 7: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

The news outlets on both sides provide skewed views. The science is pretty clear that maintaining distance is effective, and that masks are likely effective (though certainly not 100% effective).

3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    What is the source of a claim that asymptomatic carriers are not spreading Covid 19?

Don't feel used and dirty. There's no mass mind control experiment. To think that you'd have to assume that governments around the world who can barely run their own countries effectively, and in many cases dislike/distrust each other, would be somehow coming together to control the people of the world. To think that you'd have to assume that society's billionaires would all be happy to see their individual wealth be reduced to a massive degree, and see some of their business lines destroyed. To think that you'd have to assume the the scientific community is also complicit across the board, internationally. World governments, the rich/elite and scientists all over the world in league? In this divided world?

What you're seeing is the result of incompetence and unpreparedness by governments and health care systems around the world. They had no idea what they were dealing with, and how to deal with it. In many ways they still don't. That creates a field day for media and conspiracy theorists to do their thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    All was calm and peaceful in my area. Good luck with the vaccine. I'm not sure but I think they still have not found a vaccine for Aides.?????? Thankfully that is just pasted with stupidity. Strange how I know of 3 people who died from aides and so far none from corona although I do know people who had it.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    With a population of 325 million and 112K covid deaths there are millions of people who dont know anyone who died from it, I do know someone who died from it, but I never doubted it was a dangerous pandemic prior to his death and right now here in arizona there is a high uptick in cases since this governor opened this economy and there is a hospital bed shortage at this time and it's getting worse, 22 states are reporting a big increase in cases since they reopened, and with these demonstrations it's going to get a lot worse.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018
    South jersey wasnt hit nearly as hard as North jersey but when you look at the numbers I'll stand by what
    I said.
    Each year, on average we have about 80,000 N-jersians dead each year, We're on pace to be WAY below that during this "pandemic"

Why you ask.. because yes, the covid 19 numbers seem crazy high, but our cancer related deaths, asthma, flu, pneumonia related deaths are at 25 years lows.

With 12,000ish dead, of a state with close to 10 million people you're looking at a rate of "about" 99.89% of New Jersey is alive and well.
    Of the

with the recovery number around 600K you're looking at a recovery rate of 99.95%.

So, I dont mean to be intensive, and even though i have terrible asthma, with a 99.9% health rate and a 99.9% survival rate, I'll take my chances.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Bacarty2

Bacarty2 Active Member

Oct 29, 2018
    And a quick question...
    which part are you going with Fauci's recommendation?
    when he said..
    We have nothing to worry about
    then it was millions would die even with social distancing
    then it was 800K then 500K then 250K then 125K.

Or when he said that it lived on surfaces for 2 weeks, then it was "about a week" and last time he spoke it was it doesn't live on surfaces

How about when he said Asymptomatic will spread like wild fire and he's 100% wrong on that.

O! my favorite, he flat out told us that African Americans were more at risk than white Americans and then said you have to respect there protesting in the same breathe.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nobody has been perfect in this pandemic, because there's still plenty that's unknown and won't be known without the passage of more time, but Fauci's track record is better than the WHO by a mile. The WHO has already "clarified" their statement on asymptomatic spread, and acknowledged there is asymptomatic - and pre symptomatic - spread, but there is no hard data on how much. In their initial release they had also caveated the "asymptomatic transmission is very rare" statement by explaining that they were working form a very small data set. They've been a pretty poor resource for facts throughout this whole thing, from their support of poor information out of China to the present day. They just had to change their guidance on masks (on June 5). They were the ones who steadfastly held to a 3.4% infection mortality rate by dividing number of deaths by number of confirmed cases, even though they knew damn well that a large number of cases were not being reported, and everyone else out there who was credible was explaining why mortality rate was likely considerably lower.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    So apparently even though over 100 countries enforced some kind of lockdown, the U.S. shouldn't have done anything, despite being one of the biggest.

People there's no conspiracy here. The government depends on the revenue of a vibrant economy. They wouldn't just purposely destroy one on purpose, especially worldwide.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't see how small market MLB teams will survive on Local TV revenue; they would be better off cancelling the season all together.

The NHL has it right to move straight into the playoffs for their season to survive. Best thing about this for small market teams is you go straight to playoff payroll, no superstar contract money.

The NFL is different because of their National TV deal. They can survive without fans in the stands. I would suspect that the NFL Preseason games will be without fans and the games will not actually be taking place in some of the Pro Stadiums. For teams paying rent on stadiums, they may be able to save money by choosing to have the games at their practice facilities.

College Football could be split this year as some conferences may choose not to play. Would that be a forfeit if you played a team that chose not to play?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Doesn't older people lives matter? Or people with compromised immune systems matter? As for your conspiracy theory about wrecking the
    economy, Keep watching the Trump TV station. I have heard enough.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Fake News.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I feel that way about anything that doesn't align with my opinion.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think AIDS came out in an election year so it never really mattered:cool:

COVID 19
    [Mod edit - Nope, don't go there]
    What will be next???? It's a long time till November!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And when you fconsider the fact that 70% of the people who were listed as deaths from COVID-19 never really had it, or died from something totally different; two and two start to add up to four.

• Like Like x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm curious where that number came from.

The words 'fact' and 'covid-19' don't really belong in the same sentence. Just sayin'.o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Our political leaders will let you bid on what #s to put out there. Just like ancient China selling government positions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When I think of Arizona I think of HOT. I would imagine a lot of your fellow residents are pretty sick and tired of staying indoors. Has to be tough on you guys (yinz:) wearing the mask. I live in a ocean town and they strongly recommend wearing one on the beach but so far I have seen 2 people out of thousands who heed the recommendation.

Off topic: when I see 325 million it reminds me just how damn big our country is. I've never been to the middle of our country but I imagine there is tons and tons of open space. I wonder how many of that 325 million live on the East and West coast??

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    China 3x as many at 1 bil +.
    Hard to take their reported #s seriously.

1 bil people at a .07 infection rate is 70 million people.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder if the timing of Arizona's spike coincides with increased indoor social activity as the brutally hot summer has set in. Same with Texas, which has just set a record high for hospitalizations, and other Southern states that are starting to see more activity.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Your point about fact and COVID not belonging in the sake sentience is a good one. The CDC instructed hospitals to list any and every death as COVID 19 unless it was clearly something else like a gun shot, and even then, they told hospitals to test accident victims for COVID and if they had it, list the death as COVID.

I guess their could be a couple reasons:
    1. The CDC wanted to create numbers to scare the **** out of everyone because they thought it was really worse than it was?
    2. Someone is making money off the death toll?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You can assume that if China is speaking, it's a lie! They are almost as bad as our media:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I have been reading up on ancient China lately. Every trick current politicians pull has been documented in the revered classics in Chinese history. Same sh't different time period.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Common sense isn't all that common among certain groups of people. Puppets are nothing without a puppeteer:cool:
    1. During "ANY" cold and flu season, it's a good idea to avoid mass contact.
    2. During "ANY" cold and flu season, it's a good idea to wash your hands frequently.
    3. During "ANY" cold and flu season, it's a good idea to avoid touching your face.
    4. Doctors and nurses have been wearing masks for decades.
    Maybe there was another reason to cripple our economy and shut down the country:shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Infection rates are on the rise here in Florida as well as other places. Granted they should rise as people start interacting again but I am not optimistic about the next few months. I hope the it's 'overblown' arguments have merit. :beg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.