1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin fired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, May 27, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    1, 2 & 3 are possible. About #4, maybe on defense but I don't think he has a say in the offense other than what players are in what packages

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I heard the same thing before the last 2 seasons started, after all the bad apples and drama queens were cut loose.:unsure:

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tomlin is not going to be fired by the Rooney's. That is not how they conduct business. For that matter, people who state Tomlin is bad because he cannot win the big one every year are not looking at the optics or are simply choosing not to by letting their emotions get the better of them.

Bill Belichick is an abnormality of what we constitute as normalcy for the NFL. The game, even when Bill rose to power back in 2003, has been designed around the idea of parity. As such, Bill Belichick is not using the conventional standards to oppose this parity. He has/is going off the wayside to do so by adhering to the basics and fundamentals without being subservient to the current paradigm of the league as a whole. In other words, Bill Belichick is conducting his operations his way while everyone else is conducting their business through the NFL system of parity.

Even so, parity has won more than it has lost against Belichick. Falling to the Eagles is the most recent showcasing of this. His biggest defeat against parity came against the Eli Manning led New York Giants; denying him of NFL Immortality. However, something far greater will prove to be Belichicks downfall for good; himself. Bill truly believes every Super Bowl win was thanks to him. However, keep in mind that Bill Belichick was not the Bill Belichick we all loathe so much when he first entered the league. Only be acquiring arguably, not to mention fittingly, an equally if not more ego driven entity in Tom Brady did Bill Belichick began his ascent.

In conclusion, how does any of what was stated about Bill Belichick have anything to do with Mike Tomlin?! More than one believes. Given how much flak Tomlin receives for having Big Ben so long in his career, not much has been stated at all about having a QB like Tom Brady for Bill Belichick. At the same time, what some of us forgive Bill Belichick for in terms of blunders in game, some of us rip apart Tomlin to no end. Regardless of how well Bill has done in comparison to Tomlin, we need to look at their most recent results as opposed to stack them against one another historically. One was in the league long before Tomlin stepped into the NFL. An unfair dichotomy, no?!

One final aspect before I finish. Do I also believe Tomlin is right behind Bill Belichick as of currently?! Absolutely not. Is he Top 5?! Still a no for me. Top 10?! Most definitely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You may praise Bill Belichick to the highest degree but I will never acknowledge that he is the best the NFL has seen in the last couple decades due to SPYGATE. Great coaches don't go to those lengths in order to achieve success. Apparently he didn't learn any lessons from being caught and fined as he still was proven to be using this tactic all the way up to last season against the lowly Bungles. Bill is a very good coach but yet still feels a need to cheat even when it doesn't seem necessary.

MT is a very average coach that cannot excel with greater than average talent.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Just because I praise Bill for what he has accomplished does not mean I absolve him of any wrong doing. Furthermore, that is not the point of the post. Whether people like it or not, what Tomlin achieved last season should be commended and not condemned.

The days of super teams dominating like the 70s Steelers are not coming back. Furthermore, a Chuck Noll level coach is not going to be seen of ever again. To expect Tomlin to live up to those lofty expectations is short sighted.

As stated before, 32 teams have to battle it out for the top spot. Only one will be declared the winner when it is all said and done. No exceptions.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Tomlin did better than most with what he had last year to work with.

Be thankful for what you have while you have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    With what's happening all over the country, and the way players are feeling and speaking out...Tomlin will never be fired...

He would have to leave in his own accord, But will never be fired...The Rooney's would never be that Franchise now

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Sad but true! I just wonder if the increased rumblings about his "non-losing" might motivate him to do some tings a bit different?

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are correct, BB has defied the typical parity march but he has also fallen on his sword a few times. Another thing he does which, to a degree, spits in the face of the NFL is that he places less value on first round picks and especially early first round picks. If memory serves me correctly, in years when he somehow obtained an early first round pick, he always traded it and stockpiled solid players. If you think about it, an early first round pick really hampers the club because it ties up so much money until the player is signed and it forces you to pay huge money to an unknown entity.

As far as MT, I don't compare him to BB except to say one runs a very tight ship and the other runs a very sloppy ship. I don't think the Steelers need a clone of BB at the helm but I sure don't like the sloppy results that MT's "players coach" has brought.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't agree with the praise Tomlin has gotten for last year.
    1. He benefited from a great defense.
    2. He failed to intervene when it was clear that Futchner was in over his head.
    3. He failed to win very winnable games at the end of the season when they counted most.
    4. He is getting the credit for the good things that happened around him and there is zero evidence that "he" influenced any of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    We can always hope.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Tomlin did an above average job last year with the hand that he was dealt due to significant injuries at key positions. Once teams figured out those tendencies of the fill in players then he was outmatched yet again. He simply never adjusts from one team to the next playing the game against the opponents strengths and weaknesses. After all these years one would think that he would change his old habits of the standard being the standard and next man up mentality but it has been proven so far that he has no intentions to do so.

I don't see anyone out there worth canning him over at the moment but I'll be thankful when the Steelers finally move on from his leadership. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this season pans out (if there is a season) with a rehabbed roster but can't get my hopes up for anything more than one and done in the playoffs if they should make it that far. His tendencies are very easy for other coaches to figure out.

I don't hate MT. I just think he can be extremely overconfident in his formula for success.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    When was the last time the Steelers missed the post-season three years in a row? Wonderkid Lamar over there in Baltimore has ended the cakewalk.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You agreeing with Tomlin praise...:roflmao:

I wonder who pushed to get Minkah? W/O Ben going down, we never get him.

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin did a really good job last year considering what he had to work with. He isn't on any hot seat. Colbert however ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn you:) Now I have to look it up.

1997 to 2001 I think and we have not lost 3 in a row yet. 2017 we were in.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    When, when? I have to look it up now too...lol

Edit: I got 1998-2000
    Coach Chin
    Kordell Stewart in 98 not sure about 99-00.

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    97-2001 then the great Kordella saved us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Colbert...Heyward, Watt, DeCastro, Conner, Hargrave, Shazier, Bush, AB ( nobody knew he would go postal ) Minkah trade,Pouncey,Haden trade... Nelson signing,Alualu signing,Big Al,DJ, HARRISON, Heath, BETTIS trade....."Usually" drafting in the lower parts off each round.....

C'mon Dude!

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe Ben was never really hurt???? It was a hoax to get Minkah??????

See what Tomlin did by starting the trend of hoaxes!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe Miami viewed Tomlin's chances w/o Ben the same as everyone else did. I know you won't give him any bonus points but I was surprised that he did as well as he did. Not good enough but more than I expected from him.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I guess the real question is "what he did". There is no way for us to know if Tomlin is the fuel that makes the Steelers run, or if he is simply a figure-head.

What we do "know" about his leadership is that it is faint and sloppy, so I hesitate to give him credit for anything but being a nice guy and being really good with one-liners.:cool:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And Duck threw 6 ints in the Bills and Jets games, they were winnable games until he melted down.