1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin fired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, May 27, 2020.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... crap. I got my hopes up there for a few seconds.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019

Yes because TOMLIN is a terrible coach that makes me a troll. Got it

4. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    you might want to look up Tomlin's overall record since he became a head coach, only second to Bill Belicheat in win %.

you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. I think you're a troll and a one trick pony...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What good is winning percentage if a HC can't win Super Bowls? Marty Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, etc... had an excellent winning percentage and could never get their teams a Super Bowl win. Tomlin's peak now is conference championship. He won't sniff another Super Bowl, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yes, the Super Bowl is all that is remembered but it is nice to follow a team with an outstanding winning record. I guess there are two sides to it. Would you want to follow a team that sucks year after year but gets lucky one time and wins a SB or follow a team that wins a lot and is in the running for the SB year after year???

Following the Pirates regular season sucks year after year but at least the Steelers have given a ton of excitement and hope for most of Mike's years as our HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Only one team can win the SB each year. There’s far, far more that goes into winning a SB than just the head coach. Andy Reid had never won a SB until last season. He finally got the right roster (especially QB), and he wins one. Was he a bad coach until he finally won one?

I’m not saying that Tomlin is the NFL’s best coach, or even second best (as his winning percentage suggests). However, I do think he is capable of being at the helm of another championship team if other things come together (health of Ben and other key players being the #1 key). That’s why I’d rather not throw the baby out with the bath water and take a big risk on someone new.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Many think we had the right roster for many years and it didn't matter. That's the big difference between MT and Reid.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This team hasn't been either of those lately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Agree mostly, but Tomlin is no precious baby and could be thrown out if you find somebody better. We can win with him or without him. He is not a difference maker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin can only get in the way of going to the SB, always been like that. We go as Ben & the defense go imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don't blame Tomlin. He didn't cause it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I have to disagree Steel Hog. I think we built a sandlot style of offense for Ben & missed too much on some of our top defensive picks. High octane offenses rarely win the SB, but Ben disagrees.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This quaranteen thing must be making you bonkers. This isn't your style. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't know about that. I was always a true believer defense wins championships but the rule changes have made a difference. Joe Montana had a "high Octane" offense. I wouldn't think many people give much credit to the Patriots defense for winning those SB's. IMO the days of the purple people eaters and the steel curtain being the reason you win SB's is over. (edit: sorry Viking fans, should have said getting to the SB)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Well I guess that's where Steel Hog is right, those offenses have some offensive gurus at the helm. (S. Payton...:roflmao:)

I disagree about having the roster set for SB runs. Shazier was a heavy blow imo.

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BigBensBigBong.

Your quote regarding Tomlin: "We can win with him or without him".

Bingo! Spot On! Jackpot! Great deduction Bx4!

Tomlin is ineffective as a Coach for the most part IMO. He is a rah! rah! cheerleader as Bradshaw stated. It is true. All of you Tomlin loyalists cannot be this blind. As BigBensBigBong stated he only goes as far as Ben takes him and team. Now Chuck Noll there was real Coach who got the most out of his teams. If Tomlin was able to do that we would most likely have at least two more rings.

Tomlin has failed miserably for most of his career here. Regular season records mean very little; especially when you have great personnel and continuously come up short. Especially with the high-powered offenses that we had under him with Ben, Brown, Bell, Bryant and others. Disgusting, what a waste! Again my goal each year is to win the Super Bowl. Otherwise, why am I, why are we, cheering? Is it realistic? No. Is it idealistic? Yes. See, Tomlin loyalists there are people, like myself, that can think logically.

That said, I do not have any suggestions on who to replace him with. As some have stated, lets not rock the boat by canning him, at least not now. I agree and would probably wait until Ben hangs it up. He is not the worst coach in the league and by far not the best. He suffices for now. He should just play the part of a coach, like an actor, and just enjoy the ride. It sure would be nice though if he earned his paycheck.

For the record, as I have stated numerous times, I was on board with the Tomlin show for his first five years or so. However, as the onion layers started peeling away year after year it became quite obvious to me that he was the benefactor of Cowher's guys. It is so obvious. It is a redundant conversation. Nonetheless, any rationale thinking individual can see this.

In wrapping it up, let's go Tomlin. Put in some quality work and capitalize on what looks like the most complete team you have ever had to work with during your remaining time with the B & G. You can do it Coach now go get it done. All you have to do is sit back, enjoy the ride and pretend you are a Coach. Ben and company will take care of the rest.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

18. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    And I think you are a.....

Use some imagination

19. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will bet the house right now that Tomlin's 8-8 2019 season is better than Belichick's 2020 season.

I see New England no better than 5-11 this year; unless they tank for Lawrence. We will now see if it was Brady or Bellicheck that won all those games!

Tomlin has been in the league for over 10 years and never had a losing season; How about Bill, or any other NFL Head coaches?

Phil Jackson's claim to fame was 20 yrs without a losing season; will Tomlin be around to see 20 without Ben?

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No, I think he leaves with Ben.

22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    One can dream..... only way TOMLIN is gone is by his own accord that much is certain.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Uhhh, Phil had a couple of championships in those 20 years too....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

:beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly think we will see a slightly different Tomlin this year.
    1. I think he will have the team ready to play before week 4.
    2. I think he will have a demeanor that looks like he cares.
    3. I think he will win a challenge.
    4. And I think he will pay a little bit of attention to what his co-coordinators do.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1