1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Anthony McFarland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Even with his fumbling issues, I was hoping Steelers pick Jonathan Taylor. But when he went off the boards, my plan B was us getting Anthony McFarland. I just wanted a RB who was dynamic & electric. I don't see JK Dobbins as that type of RB. Taylor & McFarland by far is the fastest RB in their class. Dobbins & Moss is hard-nose runners. Swift, Akers, & KC's pick are elusive but not speedsters. When/If Taylor & McFarland get anytime of daylight & it's over ...not being caught from behind. McFarland played behind a garbage O-line where nearly all 11 defenders keyed on him & he still produced ...similar to how Barry Sanders used to operate. With all the weapons the Steelers have, he's gonna eat all day. If he get reps & everyone is healthy ...McFarland could possibly have the best numbers coming out of this RB class. Here's a film review of McFarland:

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hugely intriguing prospect. I hope you are right. If he turns out to be one of the most productive backs in the class then they have snagged a real bargain here.

My concern after the fourth round was that they hadn’t looked at ILB, free safety or nose tackle but the more I see and read about McFarland the more excited I am about this pick.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    My bet just like Chris Rainey and Dri Archer, in a couple years you won't even remember him.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible, but there is a lot more reason to like McFarland than there ever was to like Archer. That pick was a clear disaster almost immediately. Archer had speed and nothing else. McFarland is explosive and aggressive. He does lack patience and discipline, but watch the film. He really attacks the hole and he is a good bit stronger than Archer was. Archer was listed at 5-foot-8, 173 pounds. McFarland is listed at the same height, but over 30 pounds heavier at 208.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Sounds like a good kid. Seems to have the right mindset.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanIrl.

NT should have been a priority. If we would have gotten a Casey 2.0 type this would have been the closest to having a "Complete Defense" that we have had since the 70s IMO. This Defense is very, very good. The two weak spots, IMO, are Edmunds at Safety and the lack of a "True" NT. Hargrave was playing out of position and often got pushed back. I appreciate what he did here but he was more suited to be a DE. Big Dan is not the answer. We have the pieces in place to be "Complete" as I have stated.

The league is moving towards the RB again. I cannot emphasize this enough. The reason being is that there just are not enough quality QBs around anymore to make this a pre-dominant passing league anymore. The premiere QBs that are left are Ben, Brady, Brees and Rivers from the old school and most likely they will be out of the league within the next 1-3 years. The one's with more longevity are Mahomes and Wilson. After that who is left? No one IMO.

Teams are starting to again get serious about the RB position. Look at the Browns, Giants, Titans, Rams and others. Reason being, lack of quality QBs. Most of the starters minus those who I mentioned above are basically 2nd stringers who landed starting roles because of the lack of good pickings. I am not sure why some around here do not see this.

We now have a Defense that can finally defend the pass. Yes! Now shut down the run and watch how complete we truly become. Back to Edmunds for a second. He needs to get it together. Is this year four? I see another Jarvis Jones scenario unfolding . Even one like Dupree, who for me is adequate but not dynamic. I am pulling for both of them. Meantime, I really hope that Highsmith can turn into something special. I feel that Dupree is expendable. For now he suffices.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid