1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who were the worst QBs you remember as a steelers fan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 23, 2020.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting I can surprise one's age my their responses..

The reason why I'm such a big Ben fan (pun intended) is I remember how many substandard QBs there has been under center.

Hard to pick the worst lol.

Kordell was as frustrating as they come. The entire offense then leaned on Bettis and Ward to move the chains, which they were both superb at. Ward would be routinely led into safeties getting slammed to somehow come up smiling holding a football.

"Slash" was fun and all, but yeah the guy should have just kept that role. Bettis routinely taking on 9 man fronts because no one respected the passing game. Him and the O-line would just oppose their will on the defense with everyone knowing it was a run, which they did quite well at.

A playmaker like Ben was a wet dream come true.

I will say it was fun watching Bettis run through defenders especially in his younger prime days. Everyone knew he was running and he'd just run through them.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey, it is his dick and his soap so he can wash it as fast and as hard as he wants.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We definitely saw some sh!tty QB play last year. Never was a fan of Landry either. Overrated and under talented. It was never good news when Landry was on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Brister, graham, miller, tomczak come to mind

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Duck and Rudolph were the worst I’ve seen, but it wasn’t even a full season so they get that pass. Big Ben on his off days looks like Mason, overthrowing balls and taking sacks.
    I liked kordell but yeah wasn’t great.

Bradshaw was terrible, until it mattered and he was better than Ben in the clutch(from what I’ve seen)

6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Bradshaw came from a small school and got almost no coaching. When he came to the steelers the steelers didn't have a QB coach or and offensive coordinator. So he never received the coaching he needed his first couple of years. He was a hall of fame QB with four rings. He was a truly great QB

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup he is a beast but still not as talented as Ben imo. Those 70s defenses were legendary

8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    No I never said he was as talented as Ben. It's hard to compare two QBs from the two different eras in the NFL. Ben is one Terry is two. Both are hall of fame QBs. I take issue with you saying Terry was terrible. That's all.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Both could put the team on their back when facing a must score.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I just meant statistically that’s all.

Bradshaw career #s
    212 td/ 210 int
    51% cmp
    70 qb rating

different time though...

Edit: dude was the definition of clutch though. In all 4 Super Bowls he posted higher than 100 qb rating. Beat Dallas twice too.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey KnoxVegasSteel.

We are in for arude awakening if Ben cannot return to pre-injury form.
    Hey Jammasterc.

I hear you on the Super Bowl XXX disappointment. As much as I may also want to blame O'Donnell for those two picks I really am leaning towards not. They were just too blatant to have been done intentionally. I mean he might as well have walked up to the guy and just handed him the ball twice. As some have stated, the picks were wrong routes that were run by the WRs. I lean more towards that explanation than Neil actually blowing those two instances. ND had a reputation of being very careful with the ball regarding interceptions. His statistics proved that. Again, I just can't blame him for those two picks or at least outright blame him. Now, what I am upset about with him is towards the end of the game we had Dallas reeling. Ernie Mills was WIDE-OPEN running down the right sideline all alone. If ND had seen him it was a EASY touchdown and we probably win the game. I am way more upset with that blunder than the picks.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Diamond.

I was actually watching that Cleveland playoff game yesterday on YouTube. Maddox was good. Great game, great atmosphere with the snow coming down. A good day it was to have watched that rerun. Yes, the next week we got hosed with that acting job by the Titans kicker. What a shame. I think that Plaxico also dropped a critical pass that would have been an easy TD and we would never have been in that position with the kicker. Oh well (sigh).

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hey ESK

Larry Brown knew the routes, perfect passes to him. :hehehe:

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    TB’s a HOF QB, played terrible sometimes but not remotely a terrible QB.

BBH just try’s too hard to be edgy sometimes :lolol:

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic. Yeah that must have been it (smile). However, do you remember the play I stated about Ernie Mills being wide-open down the right sideline late in the fourth quarter? That was it! If ND sees him, and connects, in all probability we now have seven rings. Ugh!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you have to discount the back ups. Like, there was probably some fifth string QB in preseason or something, but I’d have long forgotten them.

Starter-wise, probably Kent Graham or Bubby Brister. Though I did like Brister, mainly because he wasn’t Malone.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t think Kordell was as remotely as bad as some think. He had a 11-5 and a 13-3 season sandwiched around 3 bad seasons where they had musical OC’s and stupid idea of trying to make him a pocket passer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Thank god someone was paying attention

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There was one game where the Steelers were playing against Doug Flutie and I'm not sure if Stewart was injured or lost his starter job but I remember thinking God I hope he is watching how Flutie plays. Flutie overcame a lot of his shortcomings and I always thought if Kordell could do the same his career would have gone differently.

You are absolutely right though he was thrown to OC's who weren't used to an athletic QB, who tried to make him conform to being a pocket passer. He got caught up in that mentality that he needed to be a pocket passer to have value and it was just failure time and time again.

We could sit here and talk forever about guys like Moon, Cunningham, Vick. RG3, and now Jackson and how the league is finally beginning to figure out how to get the most out of running athletic QB's but they really haven't. We are still sitting here saying Jackson will crash to earth this season due to potential injury or teams having tape to stop him and force him to throw the ball because its his weakest link. I don't think the league has progressed enough to say the athletic QB has as much value or more than the pocket QB/field general. Not sure they ever will.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    D. Watson reminds me of Moon.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good points.
    I would put Kordell closer to the top of the list than the bottom of the list.

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Cliff stoudt, David Woodley, and that scrubb that couldn't even make the team.. Johnny U something or other

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think there was another scrubb back then called Len Dawson, who lost his job after his rookie season when they traded for Bobby Layne..who they originally drafted in the first round a decade earlier. The Steelers knew how to get HOF QB's, just did not know how to keep them lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think B. Layne pulled a Elway, said he would not play for Pittsburgh when he was drafted. :shrug:

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    that would mean Elway pulled a B.layne

• Agree Agree x 2