1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Corona virus deter you from going to Heinz Field this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Completely disagree. Its going to take enough people to be exposed so that it doesn't spread as fast. People will still get it, just like the seasonal flu and cold, but they'll recover. Take better care of the nursing homes and you'll greatly reduce mass casualties. What happened in New York was a crime. But that's the same policy in Pa, Michigan, and a lot of other places too. Develop a better strategy for nursing homes and for when a resident tests positive, and greatly reduce the mortality of the disease.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How the hell are older, more vulnerable workers with health conditions supposed to protect themselves when they’re on the job surrounded by people who are perfectly fine spreading a virus to them that can kill them? I agree that the stats are clear that the elderly in nursing homes are the most vulnerable (more on that in a Sec), but the mortality rate is not trivial for a 60+ year old with hypertension and diabetes, and there are plenty of those folks out there in jobs that necessitate being around a lot of people. On the nursing home situation - how are you going to protect the patients when the virus is running rampant in a herd immunity strategy? The likelihood of infected workers is already a problem, and would be even worse in that situation. How about you? What if you have an accident and need hospitalization, or have another health condition that needs treatment? What are you going to do when the healthcare system is buried in covid patients who have the nerve to try and survive while us less vulnerable folk try for herd immunity so we can get our lives back to normal? I’m not saying we can keep going with a closed economy. We need to open up for business, and there will be risks. Herd immunity is a different matter entirely. Going for herd immunity is condemning a lot of people to death even while we’re seeing promising research on both treatments and vaccine candidates.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Most nursing homes are a crime already when it comes to patient care. It's all about Medicare & pushing prescriptions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s not working out so well in Sweden. Would be a disaster here, would easily cost a million lives. Not to mention our health system would completely be overwhelmed.

Swedes are more healthy than Americans too, we are a very unhealthy nation which means even more deaths from Covid.

They also have universal health care, we do not. Would be a nightmare if we tried herd immunity.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Isn’t that like driving faster to get to the gas station before you run out?

Seriously, people, think about what “Herd Immunity” means. It means you let the disease spread. Some people die, some recover. Problem solved! But at what cost? I mean, if that’s what you think should be done, you first! I’m personally staying away from Heinz Field and every other crowded place until there is some way to be reasonably assured that I’ll not get the virus there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Herd immunity also implies that people cannot contract the disease a second time. While this is suspected, it’s not known how long immunity will be conferred. For some coronaviruses immunity is gone fairly quickly - in months. For SARS and MERS, antibodies have been observed 2-3 years after recovery. I know from direct family experience that it’s possible for COVID 19 survivors to test negative for antibodies 2 1/2 months after infection. It could be the accuracy of the antibody test (we hope), or it could indicate that immunity is short lived.

There’s still a lot that’s not known about this virus. So to expand upon your analogy, it’s like driving faster to get to the gas station before you run out, while driving down a road you don’t know that’s full of blind curves, with no knowledge of whether there even is a gas station at the end.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We have a young lady making a pretty penny selling them in our area. She charges 5 dollars a mask. They are comfortable and the best part she has sport teams. Needless to say I have a Steeler one. Had to get a Pirate and Penguin one too.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I know this can be case with some Nursing homes, but right now I am feeling sorry for the Nursing Homes out there. It is a no win situation if they stay open. There are multiple reports that they are getting sued for Coronavirus deaths.

What can they do; Close down like any other normal business? "Hello Kids because of the Coronavirus we are going to close during the stay at home order to protect our staff, can you come and get your parents?

9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn you:) I have been trying to forget, when I was young and dumb I did just what you said about speeding up to make it to a gas station. It was a terrible cold rainy night and we thought if I went fast enough that once we ran out the car could coast to station. We missed it by about half a mile. We ended up pushing it and were soaked and freezing. Needless to say it ruined our night.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Depends if you want to protect your loved ones. :shrug:

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ding Ding Ding.

The 'information' changes everyday, usually based more on agenda than fact.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually the largest out break is on the indian reservations by ethnicity: And you say why is that, well 30% dont have running water and a lot of them have contributing factors like diabetes and other ailments such as obesity and limited health care, it is a serious problem right now>>

Dramatic mortality disparities exist for Indigenous residents in the states of Arizona and New Mexico. Both of these states contain portions of the Navajo Nation, where the virus outbreak has been devastating. In Arizona, the Indigenous mortality rate is more than five times the rate for all other groups, while in New Mexico, the rate exceeds seven times all other groups.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hard to know what to fear when information is being manipulated IMO. My neighbor's son tested positive for Wuhan virus and was self isolated for 2 weeks. He was required to test 3 times during this period and each time he tested positive it counted as another 'positive case' of infection. He therefore accounted for 4 "positive cases". Now, that may not be universal but where I am, that's the protocol. Also heard that actual mortality rate is 0.26%. Take from the CDC with a grain of salt as their information has been poor from wearing masks to estimating 1.5 to 2.2 million deaths by summer. Fear is what has been promulgated and I don't know what to believe from anyone or any source. Watch CNN then watch Fox and then wonder if they are talking about the same country or disease. For me, I'd go to a game without any reservations as long as I have a mask and hand sanitizer in case I feel its needed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I just got back from grocery shopping where I proudly wore a Steelers mask that my wife got for me on Etsy.com

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok... you’re right about the news outlets reporting it differently. Depending on the outlet you’ll hear about it being nothing more than the flu, or something that will kill you in a week if someone walks by you on the street. As always with our partisan media, reality is somewhere in between those extremes. My wife works in immunobiology research at a top medical school. I try to get my info on the virus from her institution and from science journals. Based on everything I’ve read and heard, I very strongly doubt that the overall mortality rate Is 0.26%. Everything I see points to between 1% and 1.5%, with a heavy weighting towards The elderly and people with other conditions, with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease being the most significant comorbidities. Despite those odds, it will take down otherwise healthy younger people. Not far from me a 30 yard old, super healthy physical trainer was killed by it. Also, a 26 year old Home Depot worker a few towns away died from it. A buddy of mine lost a childhood friend who was in his late 40’s. The guy went into the hospital to get surgery on an injury before there was a known outbreak in this area, contracted COVID in the hospital and died.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Where I'm at in Knoxville TN, the big box hardware stores never really changed anything other than asking people to maintain distance from others and taped a few X's on the floor at the check out. HD and Lowes have been packed out more than usual for spring. For the most part people are respecting others space, but pretty much business as usual around here including restaurants. The number of cases has been low and the hospitals even had to furlough docs and nurses because they were less than 50% occupancy. It is pretty ridiculous that we trashed the economy for this. We are incredibly blessed to still be employed and have a job that I could work from home. That said, retirement just got a little further away because the 401k and IRA just lost a crap ton of value.

I probably wont be making a trip to the burgh anytime soon for a steelers game or any where else for an NFL game for that matter. Partly due to the virus, but also due to the fact that I've become more of casual fan of the NFL and can sort of take it or leave it because of some of the BS that has happened the past few years in the league. That said, I love college football and going to neyland stadium here in knoxville. That place seat over 100k and is a phenomenal environment to watch college FB and you get lots of big time schools coming here from the SEC. Not knowing when the university is even going to allow kids on campus, so camps and summer practices are on hold and not sure if there will even be college FB this fall.

Football in knoxville is huge and without it, there is a big hit to the local economy. People are already struggling to put food on the table, especially in the service industry and personal services. Without college FB in the fall, a lot of money is not coming to town.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m going to Lake of the Ozarks on Thursday for our annual Golf & Boating trip Going to be a great time. Also the Boat races are held there this weekend.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Curious what she paid? I don't think the 5.00 this girl is charging is too much. Think I'll check out Etsy later.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Pretty much the same here in Missouri. State opened up on May 4th and all the internet doctors/ busy bodies were out on Facebook predicting a huge spike in cases within two weeks. Three weeks later and nothing.
    I’ll do whatever is required nothing more nothing less, whether that’s wearing a mask or social distancing or whatever.
    What I’m not worried about is recommendations and suggestions. Either make it an official rule of STFU about it. I’m sick of listening to busy bodies shaming/ bullying others for not wearing a mask when it’s not really required or an official rule.

• Like Like x 2
  20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't know much about the middle of our country but these Ozarks I assumed are the same place the show on Netflix takes place. Great series and it takes place in Missouri. (actually filmed in Atlanta, I believe) Maybe thinking the Ozarks are in more then one state. I think you are a Missouri person. Enjoy your trip and if you see any money laundering going on for a Mexican drug cartel, RUN:) That is what the show is about.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A lot more than $5. I don’t know exactly how much, but I think it’s in the teens.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Look if anyone is selling tickets give me a buzz.

I am already exposed to this thing working in health care routinely.

I'll sure as hell catch a Steelers game with good priced tickets.

Important point I'm broke lol. The working poor lmao. People on unemployment with 7 kids making more. Important side note

23. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Masks, shields, goggles, limit activities other than absolute essential....like work. Does it suck that they will have to do that while the rest of us live more normal lives? Sure. But we will do our part too. Im not advocating a wide open return to normal, but to keep everyone locked down until absolutely everyone is safe is absurd.

Staffing is definitely an issue. Again maybe restricting their non essential activities like the high risk segment. As for patients themselves.....maybe regional dedicated covid hospitals until they recover? The government did an amazing job of building and assembling field hospitals in New York, maybe they could build a few of those in each region?

Outside of the New York City region, we didn't come close to overwhelming the system. Anywhere. Im confident that we will be able to handle the inevitable second wave without overwhelming the system requiring massive lockdowns like we just had. Especially with the heightened awareness and the treatments that are currently being discovered.

Have you considered the secondary effects of a total lockdown? Did you know that cancer diagnosis are down 68% since the lockdown? Covid isn't curing cancer, it's cause a lot of cancer to go undetected due to the limit on all non essential test and treatments. How many moms and dads are skipping their mammograms, gynecological, and prostate exams? It will be interesting to see what the long term effects this lockdown had on preventable and treatable cancers whose detection and/or treatments were delayed. The potential is there to be more deadly than the lives saved by a lockdown.

Your wife may be experienced in immunobiology and you're seeing the theoretical side of how to best handle this pandemic, but my wife is an Internist and Im seeing the practical side. And she and her colleagues are seeing.....no patients. Patients who are at risk and need preventative care that are cancelling their appointments because they were made to at first, and then became too scared to go to a doctors office. In a typical day with 14 patients on schedule, she may actually lay hands on 2 or 3. The rest are tele or video visits. That's fine for some, but risky for many others.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Sweden's death rate is 398ish per million. Ours is 300. We're doing better, but there are A LOT of other countries who had lock downs similar to ours whose deaths are much higher than Sweden, may of whom have universal healthcare.....but that's an entirely different topic.

Honestly it's too early to tell. The jury is still out on which approach, Sweden or the rest of the world, is the best.

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I think a more accurate analogy would be refusing to make a right turn on red on the way to the gas station.

And yes, I will go first to Heinz Field. Smartly and safely. As far as costs, read two posts up ^^^^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.