1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Paxon Lynch the Future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DBoyZ Mike, May 9, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    As much as I want to see Lynch and Rudolph battle it out this preseason to prove all the doubters wrong; I would love to see the Steelers do another trade with Miami and bring in Josh Rosen.

Kid just turned 23 last month and is still younger than any QB in our Division. Burrows, Mayfield, or Jackson.

When I was watching all the predraft possible landing places for Rosen, it seems like all the teams mentioned addressed their QB issues in the draft but Pittsburgh.

Rosen's value is at an all time low; Offer a 6th and then counter with a 5th for Rosen and a 6th.

Rosen is cheap enough that Miami does not have to move him.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This was an interesting read. Agreed with all of it. For those of you in the "Rosen vs. Rudolph" debate, more can be found here;

Josh Rosen vs. Mason Rudolph

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Good read, as in the end they both have basically the same value. 5th or maybe a 4th. Basically it sounded like these 2 guys are in the same boat.

I am reading that the Dolphins plans are to play Rosen as much as possible this preseason and hope for a trade. (According to the Fan articles anyway)

Hoping that will be the Steeler's plans to play Rudolph and Paxton as much as possible in the preseason and then let Canada tell them if either one of them has a future in Pittsburgh.

4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I really liked Hodges coming outta pre-season last year ...he has limited ability but dude has balls ...he ain't scared of the moment but got badly exposed during the season. If you don't have enough juice to throw outside the numbers, & defenses know this ...your finished. The only way Duck can make the roster is because of injury, trade, or if Lynch really really stink it up & I doubt that. Lynch has pedigree so he automatically has the leg up...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    just because people disagree with you doesn't mean it's forbidden. I personally think both Rudolph and Lynch are horrible. Doesn't mean I'm right because I've been wrong before. Just opinions

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The expectations were too high for Rudolph and Hodges. Most Steelers fans expected a mid 3rd round QB and UDFA QB to perform like our '04 first round pick, 11th overall... who had the luxury of the HOF Bus #36, Duce Staley, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El.... a formidable, top 5 OL... along with one of the greatest defenses to ever step foot on an NFL field. Yeah... the odds were against Rudolph and Duck. The '19 roster pales in comparison to the '04 roster... even with the addition of Fitzpatrick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think Hodges will play well this pre-season just like he did last pre-season. The reason is that he always comes into the game in the fourth quarter and faces DB's that are not of NFL caliber. Hodges knows what he is doing out on the field, his main weakness is his lack of arm strength and that isn't exposed when he is going against DB's that will be stocking shelves at Walmart the next week.

8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm not saying I LOVE Lynch, but I've wondered why he hasn't had a single chance with Pittsburgh. He'd have such good weapons. He's talented, at the very least.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was a Rudolph supporter, I did not expect him to play like Ben but was hoping for some competent play and aside from some brief early glimpses, he didn’t even meet that low bar.

I was here in the 80’s and saw nothing as bad as what we got at QB last year. Thats why I scoff at a good WR will still perform with poor QB play. You’re all downplaying how bad it was.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I disagree. I lived through the 80's and the Steelers were really bad on offense... especially '85-'88.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We could & did run the ball in the 80's. Last year we relied on Ben's pass offense minus the tes who needed to stay home to protect the rookie. I blame the offensive game plan much more than the QB play. Teams were pinning their ears back against us last year. Mason HAD to play like the next coming of hard to bring down Ben & he failed. Hodges too .

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The OC didn’t help at all. Rudolph was still awful, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Blackledge is the only QB that equaled Rudolphs poor level of play.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This actually now stems as of the few times that I have to outright blame Tomlin. Why not opt for a QB Coach in 2019?! I do not think Matt Canada was Coordinating then. Besides, if Mason is the guy Tomlin and Colbert believe him to be, wouldn't it make sense to speed up his development?!

That said, is it possible that Pittsburgh kept in secret contact with Canada during his 2019?! Keep in mind that Maryland waived goodbye to him in 2018 after being the interim Head Coach. I would imagine he was burned out and wanted the year off. Could that have played a part?! :hmm:

15. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The only QB we would be able to afford wouldn’t be any better than what is there now.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd rather have Dobbs than the squad of dipshits that were paraded out after Ben went down. And that ain't saying much.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt he would have made much difference, but it is frustrating that they threw away the pick they got for him in the Vannett trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let it go Scribe... :lolol:

Yeah it's frustrating but I liked it at the time. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017

Interesting video of Rosen. I think he’d be a good pocket passer, if he had a pocket to pass from. Miami’s oline was abysmal in this game, looks like they recruited a bunch of Uber drivers and JuCo players to fill in. Rosen is not super mobile, but a cannon of an arm he has.

I was shocked to find out that he is about a year and a half YOUNGER that Mason Rudolph.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His mobility definitely would have come in handy with the Swiss cheese line.

Thats was such a terrible trade all around, loss of pick and a better option at QB, IMO.

Don’t know how much of a difference it would have made but definitely didn’t put themselves in the best position to win and cost them a draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You forgot about "Magnum" Mark Malone whose career stats are a blistering 50.4% completion rate and only had 1 season where he threw more TD's than ints.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, Malone and Brister both played better than Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    In 1986 Brister started 2 games, 35% completion rate, No TD's 2 int's. In '87 played in 3 games, 33%, no TD's, 3 int's. in '88, 13 game starts, 4-9 record, 47% completion rate, 11 TD's, 14 int's. Memories do not add up to stats that he played better, lmao. Bubby was awful.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My memory is fine. Never made the argument he was a good QB, just that Rudolph was the worst I’ve seen.

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Memory loss is a horrible thing, might want to see your Dr,. MR might be nothing special, but there are many, and beyond many who have had worse seasons than MR had last year.