1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bourbon - and other spirits - Thread (was: @ Myronwemissyinz)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Dec 24, 2011.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    64588B8C-460F-433A-B4A4-9CFF46A89278.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I feel bad for people in PA right now with the liquor stores closed. Maybe you all can get to Ray's place if you run out.

Been drinking Laphraig Select for the past few and I don't understand the knock on it. Yes, it's slightly less alcohol and taste a little bit younger but I'm digging it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't advise anyone coming by unannounced. Smaug was less protective of his stash. ;)

But any Steeler fan who can pass a medical screening is always welcome. :lolol:

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I had a family member withdraw from opiates in a jail and he told me the alcoholics were much worse. Hospitals have enough to worry about with the virus and don't need to be treating alcohol withdrawal.

PA. needs to open those stores.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    On the other hand, this might be the best thing to happen to alcoholics. Forcing them to detox. I know withdrawal for them is dangerous, but maybe, just maybe, a few will use the experience to clean up and get straight. Then again, beer, wine and malt liquor is easy to get, so probably not. :(

Even if they want to keep the stores closed, they should ramp up the online ordering to what it was before. The current version is asinine, and it's closed down more than not. But if you really want your spirits, plenty of PA based distilleries are delivering from online orders also. Wiggle being a pretty good one that offers a wide variety of spirits.

Unfortunately for me, I want tequila as it warms up. :frustrated:

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Got a glass next to me right now. A Few ice cubes, not many. I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Worst thing for alcoholics. Cuts them off from everyone and anything for support. Had a good customer and a good friend drink himself to death because he had no one and nothing to turn to when we were cut off from him. From previous posts, I have a restaurant. He would come in for 2-3 hours a night. We limited him to two drinks. He had something to look forward to every night, people to talk to and listen to him. Once he was shut off from us, the liquor store was a quarter mile away, and didn't ask any questions.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    any opinions on Buffalo Trace Bourbon?, I keep seeing ads online....

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    This whole thread began out of Myron's strong advocating for Buffalo Trace. :)

It's a very solid bourbon, especially for its price. Hard to beat in that price range.

Price aside, it's still a very good bourbon. I prefer Eagle Rare from that distillery, but i'd never turn down a Buffalo Trace.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    To me it's the quintessential bourbon. It comes from a great distillery who has alot of great products. It's very affordable. Classic bourbon taste.

If I were buying a gift for a non-bourbon person or someone trying bourbon for the first time, Buffalo Trace would be right at the top of the list.

It's a bottle I will always have on my shelf even though there are a few other brands that have elevated past it over the past year or so.

• Like Like x 2
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Wife and I are small drinkers, me 2-3 Coors Light and her a glass of wine. Never really went past this but due to current BS we have discovered a whiskey called Fireball that is a decent tasting shot to have and also something called Lemonchello and Orangechello which I must say is quite tasty. Our days have become a game of deciding what shot we'll have in the evening. Life just gets funner and funner:)

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Have you yankees already forgotten how to make your own?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The purist in me just cannot resist pointing out that despite what they call themselves, Fireball is not whiskey. For that matter, neither is Southern Comfort, Yukon Jack, or any "flavored" whiskey (Jim Beam Apple or Crown Royal Vanilla for example). Legally, they cease to be whiskey the instant you add any sugar or flavoring to it. Yes, they're whiskey based. But in reality, they're more accurately called liqueurs.

Now that the nerd part of me had his say, there's not a damned thing wrong with Fireball (or any of the others I mentioned). They have a great place in the bar. :) I really like Fireball mixed with a hard cider now and then. I may date myself here, but back in my 20s, all the rage was cinnamon flavored schnapps. Now it's cinnamon "whiskey." Seems cinnamon is just a popular flavor.

Limoncello is dangerously tasty. Never had an orange version, but now I need to. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Fireball certainly reminds me of my University days. Dangerous stuff.

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    FB_IMG_1585601856693.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Back in the late 80’s-early 90’s it was goldschlager. A clear cinnamon flavored something with bits of gold leaf inside. Bleh

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Schnapps. ;)

That and one called Aftershock IIRC. Wasn't my thing really. But when in Rome...

Don't get me started on Rumpleminz. To this day I can't even smell Scope because of it. :puking2::facepalm::lolol:

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Oh good lord I had forgotten about rumpleminz. Did battle with that one at least once. 100proof candy

19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Has anyone else seen their whisky inventories dropping at local liquor stores?

I know in my province, not 1 new bottle of American made whisky/bourbon has come in for 2 months, since this all started.

Now lucky for me I had quite a war chest built up but it is definitely waning. I know alot of this likely had to do with distilleries being shut down briefly. Hopefully the supply disruption here won't go on much longer.

While the Can-US border is still open to commercial goods, there's some talk it may not re open for travel until well into 2021. That would be sad. I've been to into the US every year since 2007.

I may have to get creative in order to find some of my favorite bourbons usually only found in the US.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    @SteelCity_NB, Can't say I have since PA State liquor stores (a least in my neck of the woods) are still closed out right, or only taking pickup orders... allegedly. I say allegedly because almost everyone I know has not been able to even get through to place an order. The phone is always busy. The only person I know who did manage to get through a few weeks ago placed an order for 1 bottle of Jack, 1 handle of Captain Morgan, and a bottle of Stoli. They told him he could pick it up in 10 days. 10 days?!?!?! I could fill that order blindfolded in less than 2 minutes!

Half the state has eased up on restrictions and in those parts, the liquor stores are open again. Alas, my county is not among them.

I don't think there's any shortage at all. Just maybe some cut backs on shipping.

But like you, I have a good chest (literally :lolol:) of whiskey built up. And beer hasn't been hard to get. I would really love to get some rum and tequila now that the weather is finally warming up though.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    The Bourbon supplies are starting to become a little problematic. I still have enough to where I'm not in a panic but the supply has been completely cut off since March. I made a special trip to a Liquor store 45 minutes away to get 2 bottles of Makers 46. There were only 3 total bottles in the entire province - only 1 now. No Blanton's anywhere, although I still have about half a bottle from last fall. Still lots of Elijah which is good.

Luckily I tend to drink less Bourbon in the summer. The past 2 weeks I've been buying lots of Pink Whitney for the nice weather. Fantastic summer drink for those that haven't had it yet.

Hopefully by the time fall rolls around the supply is back or the Can-US border re-opens as I certainly won't have enough to get through the fall/winter.

• Like Like x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller’s edition. The PX casks add a nice touch to an outstanding whisky.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Haven't had the pleasure, but hope to one day.

Last year, my daughter picked up a bottle of Laphroaig PX Cask overseas for me (not available through normal stores here for some reason). I couldn't believe how unimaginably sweet it was compared to most Laphroaig variants. I guess Pedro Jimenez Sherry is just that damned sweet that even an empty barrel can do that. Does it greatly sweeten Lagavulin? I find Lagavulin already sweeter than Laphroaig when comparing apples to apples. (Both 16 year old versions aged in same types of barrels)

My sister gifted me a bottle of Macallan Double Cask. The double cask means 2 different sherry casks. You'd THINK that would make it a sweeter scotch. And the nose is amazingly sweet. But not on the tongue. The instant it hits your tongue, yes, but then it immediately goes dry. VERY dry. Like, the driest thing I think I've ever drank. Pucker dry. LOL Just makes you take another sip sooner. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Haven't been able to try out anything new as we have fairly tight border restrictions right now. Not alot of options coming into our province.

Its a tease because one province over they have Angels Envy. Ive had it before but have never been able to buy my own bottle. That trend will continue.

• Like Like x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

The px definitely changes the Lagavulin, but it’s not a sherry bomb like a glendronach by any means. Surprised it had such a drastic effect on laphroig. I will have so see if I can find a bottle. Can’t remember if I’ve had the mac double cask. I’ve had the cask strength and 12,18, and 25 old varieties.

• Like Like x 1