1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Obscure Steelers history from 1970s!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, May 4, 2020.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Does anyone rememberthis and who it was?

About 72-73, the Steelers looked at a veteran quarterback, a career minor league or CFL guy, and brought him to town for a workout. He ended up not being signed, and I cant remember who he was. The newspapers covered it, so someone might remember it. I remember Bradshaw not being pleased. Was it King Corcoran? Sonny Sixkiller? Condredge Holloway? It’s driving me crazy......

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What I could find. I hope it puts your mind at ease....:smiley1:
    https://triblive.com/sports/david-r...star-signed-with-steelers-out-of-high-school/

3. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Good read about Rooster, but it was much later and a Quarterback. Ibelieve he was one of those minor league guys who never made it big. The only guy I can think of like that was King Corcoran, but nothing in his bio says the Steelers ever had him in.
    This is one of those things stuck in my mind, but also does not matter.....

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There are a lot of things stuck in my head that do not matter.

I vaguely remember this but I have no clue who it might have been.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Your man for these things is @jimmyallen45

6. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    I hope he reads this! I’m that guy who remembers Leo Gasienca, John Hicks, Paul Seymour, but I cant remember this guy’s name! Aieeeeee!

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Wish I could help. I didnt get to follow the Steelers in the 70s. My fandom started in the lowly 80s. LOL

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was around 16 at this time and I'm thinking it was King Corcoran. He was a minor league legend but was too much of a rebel and a womanizer and never really caught on in the NFL. He was the leading passer in the only year of the WFL.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Sounds like he'd be a shoe-in in today league:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In 1976, The Steelers signed free agent quarterback John Madeya after he came in for a tryout with Coach Noll. That may be the signing you are referring to.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  11. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    I think maybe you're right, but nothing written about the King mentions anything about the Steelers having him in for a look. For those of you who dont know who we are talking about, he was kind of a less successful Joe Namath. I dont think I imagined this, and I am hoping someone of the right age will remember it.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    NFL films made Corcoran famous in 1970 with a documentary about the Pottstown Firebirds. King was their star QB and he was well known especially in Pa.

13. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I remember John Hicks and Paul Seymour- plus Wentford Gaines, Tommy Reamon and Laverne Smith- but this I don't know unfortunately. I do NOT think this is Sonny Sixkiller though.
    There are two people I know that I can ask, and see if they know- Vito Stellino and Jim O'Brien.

14. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    THE Jim O’Brien? Whoa. Thanks!
    Tommy Reamon I remember as being drafted by the Stillers but signing with someone in the WFL and he tore it up. After it dissolved he came to Stillers camp, I guess they held his NFL rights, they sent him to KC for a draft pick and a roll of tape, and he never played a regular season game for Pgh. Laverne Smith, I remember it being said that he was the fastest player ever drafted by the Steelers. He got his leg broken, rather gruesomely, on an endaround. I don't think he ever came back. I remember Wentford Gaines’s name but not much more.