1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Reliable Safety Net: The Case For Malik Hooker

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, May 4, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know pal just busting ya chops a little

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps.

Within that same token though, there is not too many options currently in the NFL that the Steelers can go after. Keep in mind people thought trading into the top 10 in 2019 was lunacy as well but look how that turned out. Chris Ballard himself is not the problem.

The current problem is finding the right price for him. No way a first or second. I would be willing to give up a third for him though if that is what it took. As stated before, his injuries are many but his talent unquestioned. Only Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson have more INTs from the 2017 class than Malik Hooker.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll ask the question again. What makes you think the Colts have the depth to trade him? They are going for it this year, too, and Hooker's backup right now is a rookie they just took in the third round.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say they declined his 5th because of his inability to stay on the field. If they think the odds are he may be lost for parts of this season, they may feel its best to get something for him rather than nothing at all.

Is it likely, probably not but the Colts relying on him for this season also comes with risks. Those risks are the same reason I wouldn’t offer anything greater than a 3rd.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Can't make a difference if you in the tub. Injury history is a red flag.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    We don't know how trading into the top 10 in 2019 has turned out, yet.

That 2017 class sure was loaded with DB talent.:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Declining the fifth also speaks to not wanting any longer-term commitment. It does seem as if they need him this year, even if he might miss some time. I just don't think much of this conversation fully accounts for the Colts' needs.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Okay so Hooker will be a free agent after the 2020 season, and he will be looking to get paid, the Steelers have too many of their own free agents to worry about signing. They will pay Minkah big money in a few years, I don't see them paying another safety big money also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    @AskQuestionsLater You have pointed out many times that we don't have a "Minkah Fitzpatrick Fail Safe" and it's true.

I'm curious what our options are as we sit because if you remove Minkah, we are very weak at safety. Hooker may not be obtainable for various reasons but I do think it is critical to do something because Minkah is the type player who changes far more than a drop in talent if he goes down, it changes the entire defensive philosophy.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I cannot find it, but read an article yesterday where nearly half of the 5th year options were not picked up, and many were not because of a 'bust' label, just what you said. Cap issues, long term commitment and the huge increase that the 5th year brings for many positions. The article was about when Minkah and Edmunds both come up the same year. Minkah is a no brainer, but Edmunds might not be. To be fair they articulated it not be necessarily due to underperformance, just dollars available at the time.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If we could reach a deal with logan ryan I would rather have him, he could play free safety as well as corner:

The 29-year-old Ryan started all 16 games for the Titans last season, setting new career highs with 18 pass breakups and 113 tackles. He also finished the season with 4.5 sacks, four interceptions and four forced fumbles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Never stated otherwise. All I am stating is that two of Maliks peers have done better than him. While that is definitely disappointing by his draft stock, that does not excuse the fact that he still has the ability to make plays on the ball.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was making an overall observation.
    Based on what Malik did in college and the flashes he's shown in the NFL, injury is what has held him back, not talent. When healthy, he can surely make plays on the ball.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody is questioning Hooker's ability. It is his lack of availability that is the problem. I don't think he is as easily available in trade as the OP suggests, and he is unavailable to play due to injury far too often.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, one year rental. We are not talking about a Jalen Ramsey deal here. In addition, the Safety market as a whole is dried up via Free Agency.

Both Cameron Sutton and Mike Hilton have limited, if any snaps, at the Safety position. Never mind that, both are better Slot Corners than they would be at Safety anyway.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And what do you do with Edmunds?

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Kick him to Barron's role as a Hybrid. That plan has already being discussed currently. Terrell plays far better when he is closer to the line than away. For that matter, have him be the third safety in three safety sets.

Again, assuming Malik is acquired, he takes Terrell spot.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    FYI

Final tally for the 2017 first-round draft picks fifth-year options:

Picked up: 17

Declined: 13

Extended: 1

Released: 1

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the injury guarantees have a lot to do with those options not being picked up. If there is any significant injury history there it probably isn’t worth the risk, that does not necessarily mean the player will not go on to sign a second deal with their team, but I can see why the Colts are being cautious here.

That cautious approach can of course backfire badly, like in the case of Conklin this year, the Titans declined his option because of injury concerns and he then goes on to have a breakout year and prices himself out of town.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hate doing this but the "Jamal Adams Sweepstakes" has revised this question again. However, a different take to it. Assuming Malik Hooker is a Free Agent in 2021, should the Steelers go after him?!

Keep in mind that the first year option becomes void the moment Malik is let go by the Colts. For reference, see Leonard Floyd.

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I would say no. Pay your own guys before going after big name free agents. Heyward, Watt, Juju, Feiler, Hilton, Sutton and others that I have forgotten will be seeking extensions or new contracts in the next 12 months. They can’t pay all those guys as it is.

They have a full complement of draft picks in 2021 and hopefully a 3rd / 4th comp for Hargrave. Pick a deep safety with one of the first 3-4 picks and let them learn alongside Minkah with Edmunds playing closer to the line of scrimmage where he is more comfortable and effective.

I would not be against picking up a vet free agent in the meantime. They look really short of depth at safety.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am really conservative on this one. For those saying 'go all in', I beg to differ. With the uncertainty that the league is even going to be able to play this year I cannot see sending valuable draft picks for a player with injury history, and very well might not even take a snap in a Steeler uniform. There are way to many 'if's' involved in doing high caliber one year trades right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I do agree with paying Watt and Heyward. Watt is likely to be the one to carry on the "Will of Mean Joe" the same way Cameron Hewyard did; perseverance, toughness and grit. More to it than that though, T.J. Watt is more than likely the "Face of the Franchise" as the team will either roll with Mason Rudolph or select someone else to be Big Ben's successor. Between Hilton and Sutton, the team will have to pick one. I would love nothing more than the team to keep both but it is likely that only one can be kept as Slot Corner is becoming more and more of an premier position in the NFL. JuJu is where it gets interesting.

Quite a bit of personnel movement may have to be performed in order for JuJu to stay. In addition, depending on the performance of Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland, James Conner's status is also up in the air. Add in Bud Dupree as well and, at best, JuJu's future with the team is still murky. Matt Feiler's is even more difficult to gauge as his contract will tie in to where he is playing. Should Chuks nor Zach Banner be able to supplant Matt Feiler to kick inside to Guard, his price tag will go up. If he does get kicked inside to Guard, now the team has to decide whether or not to pay up for the winner between Chuks and Zach.

As stated in the beginning of this thread, Pittsburgh's Safety depth issues will likely creep up at some point. The hope is for the likes of Marcus Allen to actually stick and for Antonie Brooks Jr. to be on the fast track as he himself confirmed he is currently learning the safety position at the moment. However, expecting these aspects to happen given the worlds current circumstances is quite the leap of faith.

For me, I doubt Pittsburgh is moving any needles in terms of finding a trading partner to acquire safety depth. Never mind the lack of OTAs but Training Camp is going to likely be even more unusual. Add the lack of Pre-Season action to likely to happen and finding an adequate form of depth is now next to impossible. While it may not be possible to trade for one this season, Free Agency in 2021, assuming COVID 19 is gone for good, is another story all together. Even if COVID 19 is still around, I doubt someone of Malik's caliber will be ignored.

Given that Malik Hooker could potentially be on that list, I would give him a look. As stated before, having both Minkah and Malik would give Pittsburgh a Pass Defense that would be unrivaled in the game. Absolute air superiority against any and all Offenses with a heavy emphasis on throwing the Football. In addition, this also allows both Keith Butler and Terryl Austin to finally implement Terrell Edmunds into the "DIME" role he was meant to play. None of this though has to do with the fact that 2021 will likely be Big Ben's final year. Assuming the Steelers cannot win the big one in 2020, pulling out all the stops in 2021 in addition to setting up the future for beyond is critical. Malik provides both of these answers; Antonie Brooks the same. How so for Brooks?! Terrell is likely not going to be with the team even if he does well for his final year in 2022 as Minkah Fitzpatrick's acquisition already saw to that. Since Article VII of the 2011 CBA, no team has hung on to multiple First Round Picks of the same draft. Now, add this to the updated form of the Fifth Year Option being fully guaranteed; their performance in that First Round Rookie's first three seasons driving this point home. As such, by virtue of circumstance, Minkah stays whereas Terrell goes.

In short?! Either way me and you both look at, one common denominator keeps popping up; Big Ben's remaining time. Pittsburgh has already committed in this approach by not only splurging in their most expensive Free Agent acquisition ever in Steven Nelson but also adding the likes of Eric Ebron and drafting Chase Claypool. This truly is it for Big Ben whether we like it or not. Adding one more major piece via Free Agency is going to be what will put this team over the top. For my money, Malik Hooker is that final piece. Malik and Minkah or "M&M" as I would call them, would give this team the final push for a Super Bowl run in 2021 as Big Ben may only have some level of that Hall of Fame arm talent remaining by then. Much like his Second Super Bowl;

Have Big Ben do just enough overall. Let the defense take care of the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    By all accounts Brooks is most comfortable around the box, run defence and blitzing, basically the Mike Hilton role. I don’t think Hilton will be with the team after this upcoming season, they may have Brooks earmarked for that role but he will have a redshirt year first to find his feet in the league. The pick makes no sense otherwise because we all know they needed a coverage guy rather than another box safety.

I expect they will pick a free safety in the early middle rounds next year and probably keep Sutton as the dime if the money is right. They can build the rest of that secondary around Minkah through the draft. Nelson will hopefully stay, Layne must get an opportunity at some point as well. Haden is coming to the end so I would like to see another corner selected in 2021 to continue to develop depth.

The big priority for next years draft has to be the offensive line. AV & Feiler will be unrestricted free agents and Pouncey / Decastro are on the wrong side of 30. I think they need to double dip here in 2021 after selecting Dotson this year. If there is a good LT in the first round that is where I would be going, assuming Ben plays out his contract. It would be a huge boost for the team if Chuks could progress to a starter role in 2020.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not interested in Adams or Hooker, they have one star at the safety position in Minkah, no team is going to pay both of their safeties top dollar. The Steelers have too many of their own free agents to try and re-sign.