1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the Steelers get better this weekend(NFL draft)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 26, 2020.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    :facepalm:
    You're doing more to prove my point than yours.

No one said that Ben's turnovers were Tomlin's fault. Why do you keep implying that? And I said, "Pre-snap penalties, ball control, missed assignments, lack of focus...those things are under a player's control. Those things can be blamed on the player. Those things are inexcusable." So my own, very direct, words blamed players, and not the coach, for fumbles. Mendenhall's fumble was on him, not the cheerleader. Everyone is assigned blame...to err is human. No one is saying that the players are perfect. The problems, or blame if you will, on Tomlin is that he allows tendencies to become habit and habit to become culture. We've discussed and lamented, ad nauseum, the systemic problems that plague this team year after year. When you can point to the same issues year after year with almost surgical precision, there is a problem. And that falls on the HC. New problems, illness/injury, contract disputes, etc., those things have to be dealt with, but are expected. Coaches cannot be expected to predict those, however, and how they will impact the roster in real-time. The great coaches can minimize the damage and keep the ship afloat. But harsh criticism/blame isn't fair in that respect. But when the same problems are not addressed year after year after year, then it has NOTHING to do with an ever-changing and dynamic roster. You don't have the same players/team on the field year after year, but you do have one thing consistent...the HC. And it is the HC that is to blame for not fixing what is broken.

Don't blame the chess pieces if you don't know how to use them.

Does he deserve credit? Sure. He has managed the team to a solid, winning record. He has consistently found ways to keep this team above .500. But when you say the players deserve most of the blame, then how can you give HIM most of the credit for the winning record? I thought it was all about the players. By your own logic, you can't give him as much credit for the winning percentage if almost all of it is because of the players. And if it is all about the players, then he truly IS just a cheerleader. Thanks for proving my point. Thanks for playing. You've been a great contestant. :clapping:

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    At some point there is just time for a change. It’s probably in our best interest to have Tomlin and KC ride off into the sunset with Ben. Hopefully with a healthy Ben we can make some serious noise in the next 2 years. The window is half way open but it’s closing and not opening up more. When it’s time to rebuild I don’t want MT or KC to be around to have a hand in it....jmo

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh well the Rooney's disagree with you :shrug:

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard on a Steelers podcast that teams don't want to start their backup center, along with their starting center in the same lineup, if Finney starts and gets injured then they don't have a backup center.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Good point! maybe they should of had a more competent Guard then....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nah fans on a message board know more than the coaches :lolol:, not accusing you, just in general.

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We got better and we will make a run this year. Wildcard probably unless the Ratbirds fall down and hopefully do so with a good record.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope Tomlin leaves with Ben too, Colbert, meh.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    upload_2020-5-1_16-49-41.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But...If there is a huge dropoff, What is the difference

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    This argument isn't about whether he should be the HC. So what do the Rooneys actually disagree with me about? I'm not saying there is a viable option to replace him. I'm saying he's not a great coach. I'm saying he can't/doesn't fix glaring problems. I'm saying his ineptitude and cheerleading style have likely created problems that wouldn't have manifested with a better leader of men. And you've got no proof whatsoever that the Rooneys disagree. They might agree wholeheartedly but not feel comfortable replacing him because of what's available, or Ben, or tradition. So before you start putting words in their mouths, maybe use your own to try to make your case, weak as it may be.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I betcha Ben has a say in whether to retain Popcorn until he hangs it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Rooney's disagree with your assessment because he's still their HC, get a freaking clue :facepalm:.

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Do they? Did you talk to them about it? Have a link? No? Okay then, you know what you can do with your freaking clue? I won't tell you because I don't want banned. Just guess the worst thing you can think of...and then double it.

You don't know what they agree or disagree with. The fact that he's still HC has NOTHING to do with whether they agree or disagree with my assessment. If you had your own freaking clue, you'd understand that decisions aren't always black and white. You don't have to love an employee to keep them around. I've already stated a number of variables which could be keeping him in their employ that trump their possible displeasure with him. I'll give you another one. He's black and there's a thing called the Rooney Rule. It would be almost hypocritical of them to let go of a minority coach since they're supposed to be the champions of minority hiring. I would hazard a guess that plays on their decision. And that has nothing to do with his performance or lack thereof.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's the HC until 2021 so deal with it :shrug:, or you can keep crying in your beer about it :hehehe:. Your ignorance is showing with that stupid excuse that he's keeping his job because of the Rooney rule. Guess what clueless, if he has a losing season the next 2 seasons, he won't be the HC the color of his skin has nothing to do with it :facepalm:.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    :facepalm:

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Two games in 11 snaps zero carries and zero receptions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hiding their hand? Does he understand the wildcat, Fitchner's ace in the hole?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

No. He was brought in to play special teams and fullback. Someone in this thread chose to ignore the stats and claim otherwise.

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You may end up being right. But Im not ready to admit defeat yet. It is still to early to tell. So far Ebron has been a non-factor. Something tells me thats going to change. These guys are going to be more involved going forward IMO.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    enron has already had a drop or two and Ben has missed him(high and behind) at least once. McDonald has been nonexistamt. Hopefully that’s all just a function of Ben taking a year off and having no preseason games

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Offence is not clicking yet at all, it’s all a work in progress. The new players will hopefully be worked in as the season goes on and Ben gets a measure of what is around him.