1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No the Steelers aren't going to sign Andy Dalton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 30, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hopefully we won't have to watch Mason play any meaningful snaps this season :hehehe:, with a new QB coach and some playing experience maybe he can show some improvement.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I already did one of those five years ago.;):cool:

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I just read ESPN's Josina Anderson's report on the Bengals waiving Dalton. She said the only team that showed interest in trading for him was the Jaguars but they couldn't work out a deal. She said that the Patriots showed no interest in trading for him but now that he is waived it could be a different situation now for a variety of teams.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You been watching him since High School? Hopefully Colbert has your phone number.:stogie:

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Cincy should have mimiced A. Reid & let Burrow learn their system for a year unless they think they have all the other pieces. Dalton could compete for a playoff spot in the AFCN as much as Burrow will but I think they still need defensive help & a healthy year out of Green.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Uh yeah. Your point is taken. News flash: He will not be playing against us. He will be playing for us. And although I do not have the statistics in front of me, if memory serves me right he has played very well over his career against the rats. I am not sure about the Browns. As far playing against the Bengals, well we would have to wait and see who he signs with to make that judgement. If he signs with us, we will find out soon enough as we all know he would face the Bengals twice a year. You and I have talked about this idea of signing with us numerous times. I have listed in another post here about the positives for us if that was to happen. I hope you get a chance to read it and give me some feedback. Something with substance would be really good.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agreed. I’d have kept Dalton and let Burrow sit for at least the first 6-8 games. What is the hurry, they are not going to be contenders next season regardless. They are really heaping the pressure on Burrow by making him the day one starter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If someone traded for him, they would be picking up the last year of his contract to the tune of $17.7 million. I’m sure that has something to do with the lukewarm interest. He’s at best a stop gap starter, and I don’t see a stop gap starter getting that kind of dough.

I would take him as a backup, at backup pay, in a heartbeat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree. Burrows I believe has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB, he also has only started one year in college, surrounded by very good college offensive talent. A year to sit, or at least a good part of the year could prove invaluable for his growth, throw him to the wolves to seen and it may set him back years.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Dalton wanted to be traded in the worst way last season after being benched. He was very vocal about it after the deadline passed. The Red BBGun wasn't going to sit by quietly this season while watching his position inevitably go to another teammate.

Mike Brown has been quoted in the past about never trading players because it has a chance to benefit some other team. I honestly believe he thought he was going to keep Dalton on the team to mentor his replacement and Andy thought he'd be traded by now. When that didn't happen during the draft this time around he probably made it clear he would be a cancer to the team thus forcing Mike Browns hand. Brown should have dealt Andy and eaten some of his contract and got something for him rather than paying him the full 17Mil and getting absolutely nothing for him in return but that's the Bungle way.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yep. Actually he was a red shirt freshman at osu in 2015. In hs he threw for over 11,000 yards and 157 TDS, and rushed for 27 more. Ohio mr. football and player of the year. His dad was quite a good defensive coordinator. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dalton wanted out and they chose to prioritize granting his wish. It wasn't the smart thing to do, but this is the Bengals, so that is no surprise.

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    None of his salary was guaranteed so they won’t be paying him as far as I know, $17m is coming off their cap number after his release

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I got a great place for him and it would blow up this team big time. How about Green Bay?

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And what would have happened if he stayed at OSU?

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Patrick Mahomes may have sat out almost a full season but it all worked out in the end. Joe Burrow should have had that same aspect considering he only started one full season at the collegiate level. One year, regardless of how incredible it is, is not enough time for a Rookie to come in and be successful.

I would not be surprised if Joe Burrow has his ups and downs. However, I will equally not be surprised if this season is the "Nightmare From Hell" for him either.

18. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    can't afford him. PAtriots cant either. Just saw a story on this. They have like 1.6 million in caproom. Dalton is worth at least 15 million a season and still good enough to start. He might even do better with a change of scenery and better culture around him.

19. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm always surprised when I agree with him as well. Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to the best of us from time to time, and I can honestly say that there is life after. ;)

20. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    If Dalton is comfortable with his bank account, his best move may be to wait to sign until partway through the season. Between injuries and poor starter play, an opportunity will present itself. He won't make as much money this way, but it gives him much better odds at a starting gig.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With those stats and he couldn't beat out JT Barrett for the starting job at OSU?

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s not in that good of shape either. Which is kinda funny because one is a comedian. Which makes it funny again :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wouldn’t his one good year at LSU make him a 1 year wonder......asking for a friend;). Still waiting to hear your thoughts on your draft crush going to the Ravens? Most here don’t think it’s a big deal.....

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hanratty#5.

I hope all is okay with you and your loved ones.

I am a BIG advocate for getting Dalton. When you get a chance read the post that I put here within this thread that outlines my reasons for him to come to Pittsburgh. It is kind of lengthy (you know me, smile) but I feel it is worth the read. Please feel free to give me some feedback. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Burrow was a two-year starter at LSU, not one. He just wasn't nearly as good in 2018 as he was in 2019. He threw all but six of the passing attempts by the Tigers in 2018.