1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not impressed................

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 27, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

People need to relax about Baltimore. As I said, this has been Lamar's official first NFL Season worth of game tape. This league will find a way to stop them. For that matter, it already has in the form of the Tennessee Titans. in addition, it has more to do with what the Titans did on Defense than the heroics of Derrick Henry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I am on board with the Claypool pick over Dobbins

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    But Ben may be able to air it out to Claypool on 3rd and 1, since he has a new elbow.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

Cannot wait for that. Randy is possibly finding new ways to take the deep shots early and often. For that matter, Randy's comments about Chase sounds as if he has been so desperate for one.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For me, it is not about merely just J.K. Dobbins vs. Chase Claypool despite what others perceive. For that matter, those two players are worlds different they should not even be discussed. The main reason that Pittsburgh drafted Chase over J.K. was due to the fact that the team is banking big time on not just for Big Ben to pull off one or two more heroic runs but to also set up Mason Rudolph assuming he is the guy.

Keep in mind that Mason came from the pass happy Mike Gundy scheme. Guess what Mike Gundy's schematics usually consist of?! RPO with Four deep Wide Receiver sets with variations and other concepts. Matt Canada has had experience in that area but not fully committing to it. Matt believes more in building around the strengths of the players. More importantly, how to synchronize and harmonize various skill sets for creative play calling. That is what Offensive Coordinators are payed for.

However, some REALLY believe the "system" is the end all, be all.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I doubt he ever reaches ab numbers. Its not impossible based on his ability but I don't see it happening but I see multiple pro bowl caliber seasons in his future.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah I am and I started college in 2018

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I had Akers over Dobbins and was really hoping the pick would have been Akers.

I guess I wasn't the only one who thought Akers was the better RB as he was drafted before Dobbins.

BPA I thought was gong to be Zack Baun, but he dropped like a rock into the 3rd round.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As I was watching film in the days leading to the draft, I was starting to warm up to Akers. It can be tough to evaluate a RB who gets no blocking vs. a guy who had running lanes as wide as garage doors on half of his runs.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good to hear - hope it’s going well for you (current Covid stuff aside)

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well they need something because they were handled fairly well by the Titans in a do or die game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    You mean like Baltimore, a team some here wish we were like?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    If they draft someone, its for a reason. Maybe they don't expect someone to be around after this year (cap hit, etc).
    "Son, the Rats don't take a dump without a plan".

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If there were only 114 completions to his receivers, no way will Brown see a 100 catches. That aside, he’ll never see 1800 yards like AB. AB doesn’t reach that without Ben throwing to him and took him 136 catches to get there.

I see MB being around 1,000 yard receiver in that system with that QB. They throw to their TE’s a ton, I think more than any team last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hollywood was targeted 71 times in 14 games.
    Yeah that's what I was trying to figure out, it seemed to me that Lamar really didn't use his receivers last year but we'll see if he does when his rushing attempts go down. I'm thinking Hairball will just have someone other than Lamar run the ball when that happens.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They used the jumbo 3 TE sets more than multiple wr sets that way the had run blocking or short routes. Hard to target guys sitting on the sideline. They had that masterful play that had a TE go in motion behind the line and then out to the slot, Jackson could hand it off, run it himself or wait for the LB committed to him and then dump it off to the TE. Ravens really had a good offensive game plan last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Sadly no. I mean online work has made things a lil better because you don't have to sit through all those tedious lectures but other than that I miss the full experience being on campus

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought the Ravens had a very good draft. Being the Ravens GM in our mock draft, I knew they had 6 picks in the first 106 and would come away with a great haul. My only surprise was them not addressing IOL until the mid rounds. I thought they would have addressed it earlier but went with Tyre Phillips and Ben Bredeson in the 4th or 5th??? Either way...they got a good player in Bredeson but I don't know much about Phillips.

ILB was another glaring weakness and they got Queen and Malik Harrison a lightning and thunder combo. I went Harrison and Davis-Gaither which was in effect the same thing. They had our ole buddy LJ Fort starting and some other scrub.

They have Mark Ingram and Justice Hill who was a highly rated prospect last year, so I didn't think they'd go RB, but you can't pass on a talent like Dobbins when Ingram is getting up there in years.

On paper, it looks good, just like ours. It will be some more great matchups between these two.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    MM always went for the blowup tackle :-(

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey blackandgoldpatrol.

I hope all is fine with you and your loved ones.

Okay, now back to the other business at hand. It is like déjà vu. Year after year. Just rewind the tape in one-year increments. The annual post-draft rat-fest of love and/or fear for that regarding the draft. This applies to some here and I emphasize some for I do not want to be accused of broad-brush stroking with my comments.

It is redundant, boring, classless and above all else embarrassing. I get the analyzing of the draft. However, when it comes to the rats, it just seems that, once again some here, just get all strung-out by even mentioning the rodent team's name. Common annual post-draft rat statements from some here:
    • Oh, they drafted so much better than us.
    • Oh, their front office is so much better than ours
    • Oh we should have taken player "x" that they took.
    • Oh, they are going to destroy us this year.
    • And on, and on, and on and on!

Come on some of you. There is a line to be drawn between "respect" and "fear". Some of you here, and outside of the Board, just fear these rodents and that I cannot respect. Just the mentioning of their name has some of you quivering and quaking in your boots. To that I say, Disgusting!

I wrote a similar post here a few weeks ago in another thread. Below is an excerpt from that post. If I ever entertained the thought to show the rats any respect it all went out the window with the two examples of their coward-like behavior that I wrote about down below. I hope none of you mind the blue color font.

• We win Super Bowl XLIII. The rats are asked by the league to open up the next season against us and, in rat-like fashion, they refuse. What a bunch of P_ _ _ _ ies! The cheats win the Super Bowl two seasons ago we are asked to open up against them and we do. No qualms from us. That is the difference between a man and a mouse, I mean rat.

• Now, this incident was about 11 years or so ago. For several consecutive seasons the rats would be scheduled to play the Steelers at night in Pittsburgh. During that span we win all of those games. Of all rat-like things to do, the rats' front office puts in a request to the NFL to not schedule their yearly away game with us at nighttime anymore. The kicker is..... the league obliges for the next several seasons! Unbelievable! What was their mode of thinking? Was it that there was some mystique thing going on to play the Steelers at night in Pittsburgh that gave us an unfair advantage? Again what a bunch of P_ _ _ _ ies!

So, for the some of you that want to bow down to the rats whether it is a draft thing or an ongoing all the time thing, just think about that which I posted above. I have plenty of other examples to share that exemplify their true rodent like character. Usually, i will do thumb-nails for my image add-ons but I figured this would better suit the post. This was an actual image taking in "tirdmore".

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

rat.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ravens win 14 games then Lamar chokes again lol. Mahomes wins another

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Is that for real? I didn’t know teams could influence the schedule like that. Do you have any links to the stories?

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the key thing for Tennessee in that win was getting in to that early lead. They forced the Ravens away from their beloved running game and made LJ throw the ball. They also took away the middle of the field and his tight ends, making him go to the sidelines, knowing he can’t do it, LJ was really exposed in that game.

It was a masterful display from Tennessee but not a template to beat the Ravens week in week out because it is almost wholly dependent on having a good lead. Baltimore are a bit of a flat track bully team and are not set up to come from behind.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, there you go. You yourself just outlined as to how teams have and can stop Lamar Jackson. Two of Lamar's losses came in the form of both Kansas City and Cleveland. Both teams lead early against the Ravens; Lamar being forced to throw the football against his will being the result.

The same aspect was repeated against Tennessee. The only major reason as to why Tennessee won in which the way they did was because Tennessee allowed Baltimore to move in between the numbers despite Baltimore driving down the field. This was important as and, I will say again, running the football is not a sustainable method to rapidly score points. Regardless of however revolutionary the concepts are, running the football can be just as much of a detriment as it can be an asset.

What Tennessee did not allow Baltimore to do was punch their ticket into the end zone. This allowed the clock to keep ticking. By the time Baltimore realized running the football was not feasible, they had no choice but to rely on Lamar Jackson's arm; an arm mind you that has cost them two consecutive playoff games.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Exactly. I think they will continue to struggle against better opponents and LJ will need to reign in his rushing at some point as well.

Contract that loss to Tennessee against the comebacks staged by Patrick Mahomes against Houston in the playoffs and San Francisco in the SuperBowl. I don’t think Lamar is capable of doing such things. For all the fanfare about Lamar he is limited when not allowed to play on his terms.

• Agree Agree x 1