1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Antoine Brooks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    His speed for the safety role is not great. SS/LB maybe more similar to Barron role. That FS role is the problem that tyree kinnel may be destined for. I'm keeping an eye on him in that backup role. 4.48. These others don't have that kind of speed for that spot. Possibly a cut pickup after preseason? They sure didn't address the position. Maybe springs could fit the bill as well. :cool:

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I definitely think he is more likely to eventually take on a role like Barron's than to be a true safety. If that turns out to be correct, I am concerned that they did nothing to improve their depth at safety this offseason. You've got one All-Pro, one below-average starter and reserves who you really don't want doing anything but covering kicks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Can he put on 10 pounds to be 230? If so, I could see an eventual permanent move to LB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    After watching some game film on Brooks today, he needs to work on getting his head up when he dives in for a tackle. He does look serviceable though, and possibly more with proper development.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    More than 65% of NFL players in 2019 were taken after the 3rd round (either late round picks or undrafted free agents). They kind of matter...

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Never said they didn't. They just have more to prove in my opinion.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wonder what Mark Barron weighed when he first arrived in the NFL. He is listed at 230 pounds now.

8. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Pittsburgh Steelers: Antoine Brooks, LB/S, Maryland - A Grade

This is a nice bargain, as I think Antoine Brooks could've been chosen in the fourth round. Brooks is a bit of a tweener, but he's an excellent tackler who should be able to help Pittsburgh in run support. Coverage might be an issue, but he can play two downs.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades6.php

9. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Wow this guy is impressive. Really jumps at me on tape. So instinctive, so solid between the ears. One of the highest motors I’ve seen. Definitely an enforcer. I saw him rush the edge also, and with impressive bend to boot. I also caught a glimpse of him rushing the QB and literally bull rushing a TE back into the QB for a sack.

I think he can take Barron’s role, and/or usurp Marcus Allen’s role outright. Now putting him anywhere outside of the box? Meh. Not wild about that.

A+ 6th round pick.