1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Impact Has Many Variations: The 2020 Steelers Draft Review

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Adeniyi did not kill it in preseason last year. He was great in the preseason two years ago. Since then, he really hasn't done much of anything on defense. He made plays on special teams, but that's it.

Skipper was cut by two organizations last year. Not every guy who gets cut is James Harrison. When he did get to play, he did very little. The guy is roster filler and he's not even valuable on special teams.

Neither of those guys was able to move ahead of Chickillo, who was terrible as the third outside linebacker last season.

Highsmith actually has the upside to be a quality starter on defense at some point, though he does have to get stronger. He gives them a potential option if and when Dupree leaves after the 2020 season. That draft pick suggests they plan to do what I thought they would do all along, pay Dupree for one year under the franchise tag, then move on.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  3. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Hopefully he can spare a few extra guardian angels to keep Connor and Ben healthy through the season. Then I would say the 3rd round pick was a steal.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What upside exactly? That's basically what you say when you hope he will become something he hasn't shown yet. He played in the Conference USA, the odds aren't in his favor. His path to being a starter in the NFL is like 2-3 year process. Do we have time for that in Bens window? Our 2nd pick in a draft on a 2-3 year process. That's my point. I like the kid and hope the best. All I'm trying to say.

Politics. You have any proof Ola isn't better than Chick?

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Here's one. He has zero sacks in regular-season games. It's not like he didn't play at all. He was just invisible when he did get on the field for plays from scrimmage.

You actually think politics somehow kept Chickillo on the field over Adeniyi last season? Seriously? Got anything to back that up or is it just more of your usual?

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He forced 2 fumbles last season in those limited snaps. More than Chick has done the last 3 years.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't support for your claim of politics. Try again.

At least one of those was on special teams. I think it was both. Including special teams, Adeniyi has nine tackles, none for losses, and zero sacks in two seasons.

You have not come close to presenting any evidence that Adeniyi earned more playing time than Chickillo, which is damning for Adeniyi because Chickillo sucked.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right if Dupree leaves, Highsmith will be the starter in 2021, he will get some valuable reps this season.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, politics. Neither is a DMV player, but Chick played a few road games in the DMV while at Miami, so he does kind of have a DMV connection....

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So Chickillo didn't play any snaps last year? Look the reality is there is going to be a #3 OLB. None of them has really played included Ola and Skipper. It is there for the one who wants it most.