1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers 2020 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2020.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Let's just hope they don't adopt the Tina Turner look.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I am positive about things that have a good outlook and if there is factual evidence of improvement. I don't see that with the Steelers. My perception is the Steelers are still a mediocre team with a few good players....like Fitz, Watt, but nearly enough quality players to be considered elite. I look at Ravens and Chiefs rosters and draft picks and I can figure out that they are superior teams...and the Steelers are lacking in certain areas, QB included. Sorry, but Ben at age 38 is not going to be much of a factor anymore. We need to move on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I overall like the players they picked for our situation right no . I think some of these players can contribute in one way or another right away

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do agree that Ben will not be here for much longer. However, to crave out his gravestone for 2020 is a bit premature. Again, that is your perception.

Regarding the Ravens and Chiefs, again, they have gotten better. So has the rest of their division; the AFC West doubly so. Drew Lock's Year Two development should be something interesting as he has more support this time around.

5. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    upload_2020-4-26_9-42-20.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    John Elway was the luckiest QB ever. He had Terrell Davis to lean on during his twilight years when his abilities were limited. Ben does not have that luxury. It sucks but it's the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    While the running styles may be similar, the degree to which they need to rely on the QB run is very different. Lamar had 176 carries in the regular season last year. Wilson hasn't had 100 carries since 2015. Wilson is a real NFL QB who can win with his mind and arm. I guess we'll see if LJ can be that caliber QB. Personally, I think LJ is more Mike Vick than Russell Wilson. He'll be effective until his legs can't carry his overall performance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s not Russel Wilson at all other than the avoiding contact comparison. Vick is definitely the more accurate comparison.

Jackson’s passing improved last season but if you are counting on him winning games from the pocket only, results won’t be so good. His legs are what make him special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You actually read all that?

;+)
    JJ AQL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not disagree at all. Chase gives impact in a much needed area that should bring positive results immediately, if his talent ascends he has all the tools to be a star. I am not downplaying JuJu (or the other WR), their contributions were certainly hindered last year by Ben's injury. His addition should actually complement their talents. I think the first 3 picks are very solid and can provide great contributions for years. The other 3 are what you might expect from later rounds, talent is there or they would not even be in a place to be drafted. Can they develop and contribute, some do and some do not.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again, that is perception. To say that Ben does not have any help in the Running Game is unfair. I do agree that James Conner is too injury prone for my liking. However, James Conner is a Pro Bowl Running Back and that is something that cannot be taken away. Assuming he is healthy for all 16 games, he can make an impact.

Keep in mind that the team is still going by a Running Back by Committee approach. With Conner, Snell, McFarland and presumably Samuel's, plenty of options. However, while a Running Back is essential, it is not the only form of support a QB needs. He needs weapons for an air attack.

JuJu, Dionate, James, Chase, Eric and Vance?! That sounds good to me in terms of weapons.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They didn’t have great drafting positions this year.

No first round pick, and the third round pick was end-of-round comp. pick, how excited can one be?

Still there is a lot to be excited for next year if everyone stays healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    To Rudolph? :roflmao:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The absolute best part of this post, even better than that fact that it is spot on, is that someone rated it "against the rules" which kinda makes sense when you consider that, for some, common sense is definitely against the rules.:drinks:

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are correct about a couple things:
    1. The Steelers mediocrity.....but that is not because of players.
    2. Ben is old.....but moving away from him at this point would be ludicrous; both from a contractual standpoint as well as his ability. He is the "only" chance we have at a playoff run and there is "zero" evidence that he is done. He lead the league in passing in 2018 and injured a nagging issue with his elbow in 2019; he now has an extra year of rest and longevity in the bank.
    Walking away from Ben at this point would be like being all-in in a hold-em game and folding because you don't think your hand can win.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    people say the same about Bradshaw....people are silly.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The Patriots are still the Patriots until they're not and / or Belicheat is gone.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why do you even root for the Steelers? I guess you're done with the Patriots, now you have found some new teams to praise daily :facepalm:.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Got a taste of life after Ben and it wasn’t pretty. I’ll stick with Bens maddening costly interceptions for as long as he can lace em up.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Defensive game plans will evolve further than LJ in my opinion. We shall see.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a good point about Garrett. I'm not sure if he would have won DPOY, but his suspension definitely tanked the Browns' season.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think part of the goal for the Ravens is to get away from Jackson running that much. I don't think he will stop running, but hoping he holds up doing what he did last season is foolish and I don't think anybody here regards Harbaugh as a fool.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He made a lot of progress in his passing last season. I don't think it makes sense to assume he is done growing as a passer only two years into his career.

I don't think he will be elite just on his passing alone, but he can be a very good quarterback who is still a threat to run. Take a look at the rest of that team. He doesn't have to run like he did last year for the Ravens to contend for a championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    James Harrison agrees with you!