1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not impressed................

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 27, 2020.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Of course i'm talking about the ravens and browns draft that everyone seems to be sweating....
    let's break it down

Ravens:
    Patrick Queen ----- barkevius mingo anyone???

JK Dobbins ------ one need only look at who's already on the roster...……. lamar and mark ingram both crossed 1000 yds last yr... oh yeah... let's not forget gus Edwards... where exactly does dobbins fit.. if ingram is traded then dobbins is only status quo... not an improvement

Malik Harrison ---- probably their best pick of the draft and the one player that we will have to account for

Ben Bredeson ----- not quite there yet imho

Broderick Washington --- not good enough to break decastro

James Proche ----- great hands, but we have the cb's to neutralize him

Browns:
    Jedrick Wills ------ not strong enough or technically sound enough (yet) to keep out our pass rush

Grant Delpit ------ will be a very good player in the nfl, but still has flaws that can be exploited

Jordan Elliott ----- see Broderick Washington

Jacob Phillips ---- great lber if allowed to roam free.... I haven't seen him be very effective when trying to shed blocks..... I do believe we just signed a shiny new fb to deal with such things

Harrison Bryant --- they didn't know what to do with Njoku, why would we think Bryant will be any different

Donovan Peoples-Jones --- buried behind Jarvis landry and obj

not only am I not impressed, i'm not worried either.....(now if ben gets hurt again, that's another story)

• Like Like x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked Queen so I hope you are right about that. Dobbins, I thought the same thing, lack of touches. I don’t know what Ingrams contract is so at the very least, they’ll have someone to step right in after he’s gone but not worried about him this year.

Delpit and Wills both nice pickups. Why did Peoples-Jones free fall?

Could be homer glasses but I like our draft better.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Ravens also have Justice Hill at RB, I don't see the comparison between Queen and Mingo, doesn't Queen play ILB?

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Queen is no Mingo. He's alot more like Rashaan Evans of the Titans. Evans slow coming out of the gate, but he was making plays all over the place during their playoff run last year . I think Queen is going to be a big problem in a couple of years.

While the Ravens do have a loaded backfield, Dobbins doesn't really detract from it. Sure, maybe he doesn't go for 1300 yards and 10 TDs but he is going to get his touches and will be productive in that offense.

I was watching the draft with my buddy who is a Ravens fan. After we passed on him I told him Dobbins reminded me a bit for Ray Rice and that he would be a great fit for Baltimore. Lo and behold he went there.

As for Cleveland, yeah I'm not buying their draft. I do like Delpit but he has severe issues especially his tackling. And who is going to play LT? Not sure how Willis will make out there. Could find himself at RG at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    You forgot Devin Duvernay for The Ravens. But I get the gist of this post. Every year we see teams turn into paper giants and all these names on paper mean nothing when teams arent going to have training camps , OTAs, or maybe even preseason.

What that will allow for however is a lot more film study to compensate, and the last thing Lamar Jackson and that offense wants is for other teams to dive deep into their film.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There’s no way Dobbins catapults to the top of the food chain. With as much as Jackson runs and having Ingram and Edwards there as well, I dont see Dobbins making any real impact.

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Browns are in trouble when a RB breaks into their secondary. They have Delpit who NFL.com says missed an "inordinate" amount of tackles due to poor technique and Greedy Williams who is frightened to death of making a tackle.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbins is a great runner, and I have to believe Ingram will not be in Baltimore long due to his age. I don't see any drop off with Dobbins in that department.

I will say though that Dobbins often suffers from mental lapses like dropping easy passes and not picking up guys in pass protection.

Queen has to be a step up from who they were trotting out there though, right?

I just love all the guys the Ravens always pick every year. I remember being really sad they drafted Wormley. I am so glad we have him. I think he will excel in our defense.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  10. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

delpit is a lot like mike mitchell

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I hope you're right. That's what we have been relegated to, hoping the other team isn't as good as we all think they are.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not so enamored by the browns draft but the ravens loaded up on an already good team. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did anyone consider injuries,trades, or just picking up a player ... so the steelers won't have? The ravens are already a superbowl caliber team without many needs. So they can afford to draft for depth.

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Steelers lost 5 games by less than a touchdown in spite of their quarterback issues last year. If Ben ends up with an average QB rating (88.6) the Steelers will make the playoffs. If he is closer to a 95 rating, the Steelers will compete for the division, regardless what other teams have done in the division. Of course this depends on keeping players healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    With the amount of praise the Ravens get for drafting year in and year out you’d think they would have made it to a lot more than one super bowl in the last two decades. Especially since they don’t seem to have as much trouble with New England as most teams have over that time span.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Skip to 1:00 on the video below. There is some good insight by Reggie Bush. For that matter, from 1:00 onward, finish the video.

Again, what is stated in the video by Shannon Sharpe, Reggie Bush and even Skip Bayless, yes really mind you, is what the likes of me and others have already stated. Until Lamar truly becomes a natural of throwing the football, that Rushing Attack will be his downfall everytime he steps into the playoffs. Pounding the football will never be a sustainable way to rapidly increase one's score on the scoreboard. Throwing the football will.

This is one of the many reasons why the Steelers chose Chase Claypool over J.K. Dobbins. Claypool can provide what Dobbins cannot on a consistent basis; quick strike and kill shot capabilities. Sure, Dobbins can move the sticks better in third and shorts but isn't that what Benny Snell Jr. here for?!

I ask again; how does J.K. Dobbins take the top off of defenses?! For that matter, what can J.K. Dobbins offer in the passing game that Claypool cannot?!?! I need an answer here.:hmm:

17. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    No, it’s what some of the whinier fans have turned into.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Chase Claypool would have been taken by Baltimore had Pittsburgh not selected him. I think one season of seeing what Miles Boykin could do was more than enough for the likes of Eric DeCosta. Why else take Devin Duvernay when you have Marquis Brown?!

Again, listen to the video.

20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    With AB hanging out with Lamar and MB ... I think claypool would've been around ...lol

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is your perception. However, perception does not equate to reality. Marquis Brown is only one receiver. He cannot do it all by himself for he is not in that Tier of dominant Wide Receivers. He needs assistance.

Chase Claypool could have provided not only Marquis but also Lamar immediate help. It was already bad enough that the Ravens were scoring on their terms willy nilly all last season. Could you imagine if Lamar had a "Thermonuclear Option" with Redzone Capabilities in Claypool?!

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bottom line, no matter what we think of their picks, Baltimore will continue to be a thorn in our side and the team competing for first place with us the most.

Burrows needs to prove he can play in the NFL

Brownies are the Brownies until they prove otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whats really interesting about the Ravens formula is that they have drafts like this one where they add talent to an already talented roster, maybe give the player a year or so and then cast them off. Remember two years ago when they had Corriea and he was lightning up the preseason behind Mosely and they traded him like a week into the season with out batting an eye. They had Judon develop and walked away from Suggs and some other LB whose name escapes me at the minute. They drafted TE's like Hurst and Williams then just walk away from them.

I mean we are sitting here worried about signing Conner, Juju and Watt and the Ravens trade the Steelers a solid DE for a 5th not because the guy sucks or they need a pick but just to load up more guys to grease the machine. Makes you wonder if that's the way to approach it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Even without the draft the ravens roster was second to only KC or maybe NO. The draft just helped fill some small gaps.

25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hollywood will be an elite level wr.