1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the Steelers get better this weekend(NFL draft)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 26, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not bust but used improperly. They watched Washington in pros run open down the field and thought it would translate to the pros and it didn't. He's built like a fullback. He's better making combat catches over the middle like Juju. Then they panic picked DJ and said he's going to be their new X to replace AB. Which DJ looks like he might be able to do with a good QB. Problem is ABs best years were with Bryant taking the top off the defense and a RB like Bell. We don't have a RB like Bell.

I'm scared they made the same mistakes as Washington with Claypool. Is he going to be able to get separation down the field like a Metcalf? I'm not so sure tbh.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You are now comparing Le'Veon Bell to J.K. Dobbins eh?! Very fascinating. In what games did you see any semblance of Le'veon in J.K.s game?!

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What are you basing any of this on?!

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    My eyeballs and his game tape. Just like I did with James Washington when they kept saying he was going to be a home run threat and it never materialized. Honesty, it's going to come down to Ben. He's going to have to spend a lot of time with Claypool and develop some chemistry and throw him some balls he's going to have to go get. If Ben/Claypool don't put in the work... forget about it.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not really on any of this. Chase is not going to merely be asked to run go routes every single play. Chase is more than just a one trick pony. He is possession type receiver as well; slants and rub routes being his specialty. Teaching him the finer nuances will not be an issue.

Again, perception.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s a more established receiver than Metcalf ever was and this coming from a person who wanted Metcalf and thought he was more than a 1 trick pony.

Honestly though, I not sure what people are watching with Claypool but I don’t really bother with these kinds of debates anymore. Not worth it.

I’ll just sit here and be right about Claypool like I was about DJ :sign0020:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    You're deflecting. Are you saying Washington and DJ are busts? BTW... Bell didn't exactly light the league on fire his rookie year in 2013. I bet you Dobbins will have a better rookie season than Bell did.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt that. Simply not enough touches to go around. Bell was the guy his first season, Dobbins has to split touches with Jackson, Ingram and Edwards.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We'll see.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm not sure if they got better yet, but if you go through and do a redraft, I'm not sure there are a lot of spots I take someone different. Dobbins apparently come off as a prick in the interview. I think we added potential improvement at WR. Does it work out? Does he become another JuJu or does he become Limas Sweed?

With the Highsmith pick, I actually love the player. Yes, low competition, but his motor and his moves will make him push Dupree and allow the Steelers to not be put into a bind with negotiations.

The Dotson pick, I think would have pushed for a starter role in a normal year. He is nasty above anything else. He wants to demoralize the opponent. That's been lacking from our line. No Mini camp will impact him negatively, but I think in the end he is going to be a good pick.

McFarland I think is severely underrated. Why? He is coming out after his 2nd year because he can. He has 2 years of eligibility left in college and would have increased his stock should he have stayed. He came out anyway. He was recruited by Alabama and stayed home to play at Maryland. I have seen people compare him favorably to CEH who went to Seattle. In fact the draft blogger with Seattle has been talking about him since last year. He numbers this year are impacted by the ankle injury he had this past year. Yet he still had impact. Conner better stay healthy this year cause this boy can ball and he may not get his role back. No he isn't a pound pound pound buy between the tackles, but he can play.

Brooks I don't think makes us any better unless he can push Allen or Danger off the roster. I think he probably is a practice squad guy.

The big DT we drafted, I think is probably going to need a year on the PS, but I like his energy.

Are we better after the draft? I'm not sure, but I also don't know what he wanted us to do. Did we have starter holes? No. Was anyone we drafted going to be counted on to be a starter? No. If we took Dobbins was Conner going to instantly get replaced and made the #2 back? No. Was anyone available in the 2nd round going to be a day 1 starter? No. I'm not sure what his expectations were.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn’t on the Dobbins train, didn’t really want a RB at all but if we took one, I wanted CEH. I have warmed up quickly to McFarland and wondered aloud on the draft thread if he could be like CEH. Definitely like what I have seen so far.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am not. That is not James Washington nor Diontae's intended role for 2020. You did not answer the question.

Regarding your statement about Dobbins having a better Rookie Season, that is a very bold claim. Baltimore's Offensive Line just lost a future HOF Candidate. Nothing is set in stone.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No need to. It will not happen. Teams run a Running Back by Commitee nowadays. The days of a Feature Back are long gone.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be most impressive with all the mouths they need to feed over there and considering Bell ran for about 850 yards and 400 yards receiving with 8 TD’s.

Somehow, I doubt Dobbins does that.

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Did we become this before or after Tomlin refused RB by committee and would run rb's into the ground?

Who has a better chance of doing that? Dobbins or a RB that played for the Terps? Lets be real.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Your mind is fascinating, show me where I said he could? But please, don’t let me interrupt your drooling over other teams players.

Carry on.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Neither.

This is due to the ever changing landscape of the NFL. Heck, even Feature Backs like SaQuon Barkley and Ezekiel Elliot are being phased out. Christian McCaffrey is an exceptional exception but not the rule.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I do not doubt it myself. I know it will not happen. Unless the Ravens want an early playoff exit, now is the time for them to throw a curve ball to the rest of the league in terms of Lamar's development. Lamar MUST throw the football more in order for Baltimore to ascend to the top of the AFC North again.

This time around, it will not be as easy for the Ravens to repeat as AFC North Champions. Everyone in the Division got better in some form or fashion. While I would endorse the idea of Pittsburgh downing Baltimore, let us leave that to Cleveland.

Keep in mind Cleveland blew the doors off of them 40-25 last season at Baltimore. Cleveland's Offensive Line has gotten better since then. It will be interesting to see how Jaylon Ferguson develops.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Zeke just signed a huge deal even over their qb. Look at tenn. Look at who KC used in the super bowl. The only reason he wasn't used more was injury related during the year. Feature backs are alive and well but a one two punch is important because of injury. Even SF, but they found out they have 3 good ones but one starter. Those are the teams that went deep. Except for Dallas. Barkley was not used properly and that was stated many times. We have too many and need a good two and three back because our number one can't stay healthy. I think Samuels and Conners time is limited if webb or whyte show anything. Our team however undervalues the run game because of ben. Ben likes to throw it. Right or wrong. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Even if he ends up as the lead back, it will take touches away from the other RBs who are already solid. I like Dobbins, but he’s no sure thing. He had a LOT of open running lanes at OSU, and that made it kind of tough to evaluate him vs. other guys who had to ask Santa for an offensive line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fascinating! Lol... that’s a good word for it...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Is Mike TOMLIN still the HC?

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Get some new material dude, you post the same crap in every thread :facepalm:.