1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Anthony McFarland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Apr 25, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I've read conflicting things about his pass blocking. Some say he can do it. Some say he can't. I'm going to guess he will need a little work on that, which is fairly common for rookie running backs.

I see people assuming he will return kickoffs, but only returned one in two seasons at Maryland. It was a 40-yard return, but he hasn't shown he can be much of a return guy.

He really is explosive through the hole, but I'm still not sure what he brings that Whyte doesn't.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maryland pride?

;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't encourage SDOT. :facepalm:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but then they would have to carry 4 RBs

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's 5'8 208 it's not surprising if he's not good at pass protection, they didn't draft him to be a feature back, his main role should be jet sweeps, screen passes, and wheel routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    As does every team in the league

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He can do more than that, in fact some of his long TD runs are between the tackles.

The more I dig into him, the more I like this pick. He’s no feather weight, runs hard, good balance.

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

For sure man if it was as easy as just reading a 40 time the draft would be easy :shrug::facepalm:. I posted a while back how the top guys in the 40 a couple years ago fared, some are not in the NFL now. Speed is great but imo the 40 time isn't a true judge what a guy can do on the field.

I have been a Snell fan and it is pretty hard to just give up on him after last season. I am pretty sure I am not alone when I say you can't judge anything on offense from last season, so I am not giving up on Snell. I am thinking this has to be the end of Samuels and Whyte to the PS. I like what they said about him in the PPG:

Anthony McFarland Jr., RB – Unless McFarland can be anything near the home-run hitter he was two years ago at Maryland, or provide a change-of-pace impact with his speed and elusiveness, I’m not sure the Steelers needed to add another running back who won’t replace James Conner as the starter and won’t move ahead of Benny Snell Jr. if something happens to Conner again. That being said, I understand — and whole-heartedly applaud — the Steelers recognizing the need to continue to find playmakers for their offense. And McFarland is that. Anyone who can rush for 298 yards against Ohio State and break off runs of 52, 75 and 81 yards against them has to have big-play capabilities. Grade: B

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Of course you did, I have only read a few things on him and not one of them had anything good to say about his pass blocking........

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You read a few things, so that must be everything on the guy. :rolleyes:

Scouting reports can be all over the place. People here love to bring up the reports on Antonio Brown when he was drafted. They all look ridiculous in hindsight.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Really........please post where you have read he was good at pass blocking cause yeah I read a few things on him and they ALL say he is a bad pass blocker.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-report/steelers-select-anthony-mcfarland-draft-grades-2020-nfl

While he presents a number of challenges to opposing defenses, McFarland does have limitations in pass protection and winning in short yardage situations.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...the-steelers-have-drafted-in-recent-years-nfl

There are issues with his size, the ability to pick up the blitz, durability, etc. But that’s your typical fourth-round running back.

I mean please show me one report that say's otherwise.......please

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Two links question his blocking so he must suck at it. At some point you will get the point I was making. Until then, you're funny.

I've read both. I'm not sure why this is an issue with you other than your issues with me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Please don't get all full of yourself I can give 2 $hits about you that is why I stopped responding to you the last few weeks. But here you are again spilling some BS.....dude you quoted me saying you "read conflicting reports" Post em!!!!!!!! It is that simple man where is these "conflicting reports"?? All I said was everything I have read about him says he is not a good pass blocker hence why I posted a couple links. I did not say I watched film and he is not a good pass blocker I am saying what I read.........just like many others here. But no you have to be mr center of controversy.....wrong/right that is your thing. So please mr right post them "conflicting reports" !

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He was recruited to go to Alabama. Would he have played there? Maybe. He would get maybe one year as a starter at most. He might have played as a role player. The reality is they kid played on a bum ankle last year and still had some long runs. I've watched his tape. Looks good to me.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, something not getting talked about, played with high ankle sprain, kid is tough.

I believe that is why he didn’t test well in drills that measure explosiveness.

I think a very good player fell into our laps.

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I've watched a lot of tape in my life Blast. He has some traits that can't be taught. His runs against OSU are clearly open field runs, but he has some other long runs where he makes multiple cuts and wins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've done a bit more watching of Mr. McFarland. On YouTube, if you search for "Anthony McFarland vs," 6 games show up on Page 1: 2018 Vs. Ohio State and Minnesota; 2019 vs, Nebraska, Temple, Purdue and Syracuse. After watching each of them twice, I'm really warming up to the pick. The guy is explosive as all hell as a ball carrier. He has way more than just long speed going for him as a runner. He can bolt into the second level through a crease very quickly to turn a 2 yard gain into a 10 yard gain, and he breaks a lot of tackles with his leg drive and low center of gravity. There's plenty of good film of him stiff arming guys to get around them, breaking tackles to gain additional yards (and to get to the goal line) and falling forward for an extra 2 yards while being tackled. He's not as quick into his cuts as some smaller backs (and doesn't always see the right cut opportunity), but when he makes his cuts he explodes out of them like very few can. Honestly, as a pure ballcarrier I see no reason why he can't be a very successful lead back. The question marks really show up in the passing game. As a receiver he was OK on stuff at or behind the line of scrimmage, but I saw no polish as a route runner past the LOS. He seemed to be easy to read, and simply ran his routes without any effort to use jukes/fakes/etc. to set up the defender. His receiving ability lacks polish overall, and small backs really need that edge. As a pass protector he was generally OK at finding the free rusher and engaging, but when he engaged the pass rusher straight up he seemed unable to impede the rusher's progress for more than a second because he would engage flat-footed and be easily pushed aside. When he was able to engage the pass rusher on an angle and keep his legs moving, he fared better. He's going to need to learn how to better use his lower body strength when he engages rushers straight up, because it looks like he relies mainly on his upper body strength in those situations, and that's completely insufficient to get the job done.

So, like I said, I'm really warming up to the pick. My favorite back coming into the draft was Dobbins, and I think Dobbins is probably more ready to be a lead back as a rookie because he's a better pass protector. However, Dobbins had some monstrous holes to run through at OSU, and I wonder how good McFarland would have looked running behind that OSU offensive line. Probably pretty darn good considering how he good he looked running behind his own less-capable O line. If he can develop his ability to contribute as a receiver and pass blocker, he can be a really good NFL back. That's my initial take.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    6 carries for 7 yards in that 73-14 beatdown against OSU was really impressive.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    298 yards against OSU in 2018 was really impressive :shrug:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Shh... don’t feed him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2020-4-27_17-57-41.jpeg

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Seems McFarland has huge upside, could be a really dynamic player in time. Possibly a bit of a boom or bust prospect?

Looking forward to seeing him develop anyway. I like the fact that he has worked with Matt Canada in the past and that he is quite different to what is already on the roster. If he can develop as a receiving back they could really be on to something

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was discussing the player on the thread. It was not a shot at you, but you clearly do care quite a bit about what I have to say. I didn't question the truth in your post. I just added what I had seen. You are the one making this into a conflict.

I already explained this to you, but you just can't help yourself. Get over it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1