1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah they’re homers but didn’t say anything that wasn’t true. He’s going to be a weapon they haven’t had in a long time. It’s a shame Bryant didn’t pan out, I think he would have been special, if you remember they were able to get him in the 4th because of off field issues but he was first rd talent.

Claypool can be that guy now, don’t know how he lasted to 49. Never really thought we’d have a shot at him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Really, they are ND announcers. Maybe Simms being on the field was give away. Ya think?:facepalm:

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was obvious that they were both homers just from watching the video, but you didn't seem to realize it.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I like Claypool. I liked Dobbins better, but he's a good value at that spot and a guy who can make a significant impact for the Steelers. I'm not saying there were factual errors in the video. I am saying there are opinions that seem to be driven by the homerism.

Claypool looks to be more physical than Bryant and he does a better job using his size to block out defenders, but he's not as fast.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were pouring it on thick for sure.

I agree, Claypool more of a physical specimen then Bryant, about 30 more lbs on him, uses that to his advantage. They actually ran the same 40 though, 4.42 but taking into account Claypool’s weight, that’s even more impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do see the first listing of Bryant's 40-yard dash time on Google is 4.42, but here is video of him beating that time twice at the combine.

I'm not sure why the official time listed for him is 4.42. Maybe somebody else remembers it better.

Claypool certainly has the speed to be a deep threat and the size to win on some jump balls. He probably needs some work on high-point catches, but he does grab everything with his hands, which is a big plus.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After watching a few games of both, I think Mims reminded me more of Bryant. Claypool is a great red zone threat, but Mims seemed much more adept at making 50/50 catches deep downfield. I think that Claypool’s immediate dividends will be paid in the red zone.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are a few other videos of him running faster, too, but it's a minor quibble. Both are big and fast, but I think there are significant differences between Claypool and Bryant that go beyond the blunts.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking he ran a 4.33 when I looked it up but I’m guessing that was Shazier?

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree on there being big differences. Claypool is a more mature route runner coming out than Bryant was even as a pro. He’ll do things as a possession receiver that Bryant never did. Bryant, however, was a rare talent down the field, and could make contested downfield catches as well as just about anyone. I haven’t see that in Claypool in several games watched. He can get deep, but doesn’t seem to adjust well at all if the ball doesn’t get to him in stride.

Claypool is good, but he’s not Bryant without the weed.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I like it! And I'm shocked at how many people still don't get that RB's in the NFL simply aren't worth 1st or 2nd round picks any more. Dobbins is special but he will help the Ravens for a few years. A dominant WR will help a team on more big plays and for a longer period of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    People need to understand that perspective needs to accounted for here. The fact that Chase was as good as he was with a subpar QB in Ian Book should be a great indicator as to what the future holds for him in terms of what he could become. Imagine him with the likes of Justin Herbert or even Jacob Eason for that matter.

Playing with any of those two QB's likely would have catapulted Claypool's stock into Round One territory without question. His stat line would have been far superior in both his Freshman and Sophomore Season's; doubly so in Eason's case as Eason has the Arm Talent to maximize Claypool's abilities. For that matter, playing with Jacob Eason alone likely would have warranted Claypool as one of the "Big Three" of Receivers; Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb obviously being the other two. Claypool's athletic talent with Eason's Arm Talent would have LIT UP the Pac-12 in a big way.

Again though, "if if's and but's were candy and nuts" need to be applied here. That did not happen of course. However, the above example is simply an illustration as to what Claypool can be when you pair him with a good QB. Big Ben may not be the Big Ben of old anymore. However, if he is, at worst. 80% of what he was, he still is a HOF QB. That alone will aide Claypool in a big way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I could be remembering wrong, but I thought Bryant had official times below 4.4, too.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Having the ball get to him in stride is on both the receiver and the quarterback and Claypool played with a lousy quarterback at Notre Dame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
  18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Of course, and yes, Book was a wildly inconsistent passer. The point that I'm making is that Claypool did not look as effective on film tracking and high pointing errant deep balls that turned into 50/50 plays, something that Bryant was good at (and Mims as well). He looked great on contested catches in the red zone though, and I think he will immediately be a load for NFL DBs to handle around the goal line.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    100% he’s going to be a beast. He’s got some things to work on but in no way does that mean he will struggle. He’ll be impactful right away, red zone threat, taking the top of the defense off, lining up in the slot, he’s a total mismatch from the slot.

Just sit back and enjoy the show :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

The whole "he compares favorably to Miles Boykin" statements are silly in my opinion. Miles Boykin did not have that "Alpha Male" mentality when being pressed at the LOS during his three seasons at the South Bend. Chase Claypool is a different breed of Receiver as he WILL impose his will on ANY Defensive Back, no matter who it is. In addition, Claypool is far more versatile, more dependable in moving the sticks and possess far greater desire to continue to battle at whatever task he is assigned to the very end.

In short?! Claypool's approach to the game, "Alpha Male" demeanor and superior mental fortitude far outweigh whatever current limitations he may have. I definitely do not see him having Route Running skills comparable to that of Jerry Jeudy, although NO ONE will for the next five drafts minimum, but to say that Chase Claypool could be one of the best Receivers to come out of such a loaded and possibly LEGENDARY draft is not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Other than be tall and fast, there is no comparison. I think I am even on record saying I wasn’t interested in drafting Boykin. He could still develop into a good receiver but Claypool is far far ahead of him in all area’s. One of the best things Claypool does was Boykin worst, adjusting to the football. And when I say Claypool needs to work on his press coverage, Boykin was all but stopped in his tracks by it.

I can’t even recall seeing anything newsworthy last season from Boykin so I’m guessing he did very little. That won’t be the case in Claypools first season.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was intrigued initially by Boykin but after watching some games, most notably against the likes of Essang Bassey, Paulson Albedo, JoeJaun Williams and A.J. Terrell, my perception gradually changed. From a solid Round 3 grade to a Round 6. If you do not have the mental aptitude and the aggression to challenge the best, no matter how athletically gifted you are, you are destined to fail in this league.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that concern. He's going to have to get better at tracking and making plays on balls down the field or defenses just aren't going to respect him as a deep threat. That was a big part of the problem with Heyward-Bey. Teams realized he just wasn't going to make the play when the ball arrived most of the time.

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think he'll get even faster after a year of NFL conditioning. He'll probably drop 10 pounds.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011