1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Impact Has Many Variations: The 2020 Steelers Draft Review

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 26, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello fellow brothers and sisters! AskQuestionsLater here, giving you my personal review of the 2020 Steelers Draft Class. Now, unlike previous years, a set of circumstances were befallen on all 32 teams. As such, teams had to do something even more so than they would have in the past; tape study. Keep this in mind as this will be a theme moving forward. The Steelers were no different in this regard. However, only having six picks was another set of challenges that faced the team. As such, with limited time to see these players in person in addition to limited Draft Capital, Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, Art Rooney II, Brandon Hunt, Phil Kreidler, Rick Reiprish, Dan Rooney Jr., Dan Colbert, Mark Burner, Mike Butler, Dave Petett, Chidi Iwuoma, Kelvin Fisher, Mark Gorzsack and Bruce McNorton would all have to batten down their proverbial hatches and double down on the draft philosophy that was outlined since the 2015 NFL Draft; athletes who have hearts & smarts with some NFL Bloodlines and versatility to match.

No Pro Day Visits. No physical check ups with the players, No Private Workouts. No Pre-Draft Meetings. Six Draft Picks. That is all they were given for this 2020 NFL Draft. Would this be too much or did the team find the players that could help them shore up their shortcomings from 2019?! Time to find out.

Now, before we begin and, as always, a disclaimer;

"These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator."

First Round; Number 18 Overall:

Minkah Fitzpatrick: Defensive Back from the University of Alabama

Instant impact player. Even if he actually were in this draft, he would be an absolute steal at pick 18. If there was a consensus Big Board with Minkah slotted in this draft, he would be either the best or second best Defensive Player in the class depending on that teams needs. For me, he would be behind only Chase Young as Young has equally impressive tape in terms of collegiate performance relative to Minkah's. Again though, nabbing him at this spot is not just a steal. It is highway robbery.

*** Grade: A+ ***

*** Grade does not count due to Minkah already being on the team. Again, just sharing my thoughts on a "what if" scenario. ***

Second Round; Pick 17, Number 49 Overall:

Chase Claypool: Wide Receiver from the University of Notre Dame

Most people had J.K. Dobbins slotted here, myself included, doubly so and no less. Given what had happened in the 2019 NFL Playoffs in addition to the Steelers woes of pounding the rock, one would assume that having a bruiser type back with "Thermonuclear" capabilities would help the team greatly. After all, having 38.6% of 2003 rushing yards being 20 yards or more is nothing to scoff at. That said, I remind everyone of the 2019 AFC Championship game in which Derrick Henry did little to nothing against the likes of Kansas City. In addition, I also remind people that while San Fran ran the ball for 143 yards in the Super Bowl, Running the Football, while efficient, is not a sustainable way to add to leads as such a tactic drains away heavy amounts of the clock. Running the football is more about sustaining the lead itself to drain the clock to 0:00. I have no doubt that J.K. Dobbins would have assisted this team greatly as an impact player. However, there is one aspect that, to his credit, he cannot do due to the position; stretch the field.

Enter Chase Claypool. Now, a tall and large "Thermonuclear Option" with possession abilities does not sound like someone who helps the Rushing Attack. However, in the NFL, the devil is in the details. Before we head more into Chase, lets take a step back in terms of what transpired before the 2020 NFL Draft. This callback in time should answer any remaining questions as to why Chase was the pick.

Heading back to the 2019 AFC Divisional Game, the Tennessee Titans did indeed win with running the football in defeating the Baltimore Ravens 28-12. However, what is lost in translation is how Tennesee complied points as quickly as they did; through the air. Yes, 7 of 14 for 88 Yards is going back to the 70s as that era was heavily run based. However, it is the two touchdowns that matter the most as having Running Backs who can constantly churn out explosive runs of 20 yards or more and score points is not feasible. By comparison, the Baltimore Ravens unique style of running the football catapulted them to the Number One Seed in the AFC. Pounding the rock in creative ways did them many favors but it also turned out to be their downfall. Why is that, you may ask?! In today's NFL, obtaining points through the air is the most efficient option. A team can spend less time acquiring points through the air than on the ground. Ryan Tannehill may have not done much throwing the football in terms of yards but he did accumulate points for the Titans to win. Again, by comparison, the Titans used Baltimore's greatest strength against them. By allowing Baltimore to add more rushing yards on the ground, the Ravens did not have ample time to stage a comeback. By the time this was realized, Tennessee preyed on Lamar's greatest weakness, throwing the football in rapid succession. As a result, the Titans ended up making that score look so bad because they forced Lamar and the Ravens out of their comfort zone. Now, fast forward to the AFC Championship game and the same results are there but with one major caveat. Ryan still had two TDs but threw for more yards. What happened to Derrick Henry you may ask?! Only 19 attempts for 69 yards. Unlike the Ravens, Coach Vrabel realized that beating the Chiefs on the ground was not feasible. To take on the Chiefs, he had to commit to an air attack. Sadly though, the Titans did not have the weapons capable to combat the Chiefs; a loss in ugly fashion as a result.

Now, getting back to Chase, how does he aide not just the passing game but the running game as well?! Again, as we have discussed, the running game is designed to maintain leads to drain the clock. It is not meant to be used as a method of high octane, rapid strike capability. Unlike the running game, the passing game has that capability as the Football sails for only so long in the air. As such, going full "heave ho" is a great way for a rapid strike or even a kill-shot. However, there is one more written truth in football about the passing game. While it is true that the running game can set up the pass, the same can also be said for the passing game as well. By having someone like Chase Claypool who can stretch the field, defenses will have no choice but to play fewer men in the box to combat such a threat. The fewer men there are in the box, the greater degree of success the running back and the rushing attack will have. However, Chase is more than just merely a one trick pony here. Another aspect about him is his ability to continually move the chains. As stated before, Offensive Coordinators want to score as many points as they can. Even more important though for Offensive Coordinators is for them to continually sustain drives. In the case of Claypool, a sure handed, big bodied target adds another dimension for the Offense on third downs; fourth downs even. By having such a presence on the field, Defensive Coordinators will have to deploy a finite amount of resources to combat such a threat. However, there is only so much resources to expend; leaving someone either open or a possible rushing lane open. Even in the event the play call is not a run, Claypool has shown the ability to seal off any Defensive Back thanks to his impressive blocking abilities. For power rushers like James Conner and Benny Snell, getting to the edge for more yards should be a less challenging prospect than before.

Grade: A

Third Round; Pick 38, Number 102 Overall:

Alex Highsmith: Defensive End from Charlotte University

As seems to be the case for the Steelers, finding small school players with immense athletic talent and/or potential seem to be another day at the office. From players like Donnie Shell to Diontae Johnson, small school players have been well represented by the team and continue to do so today. Alex Highsmith is the latest example. To start out, he possess a tremendous first step. Routinely blowing past or even surprising opposing Offensive Tackles is not something out of the ordinary for him. If that does not impress, how about his hand usage?! Again, not talking about someone like A.J. Epenesa or even the likes of Bradley Anae whom I consider to be the best technical pass rusher in the class but Alex has very good hand technique; doubly so by small school standards. Instincts?! Yes sir. Definitely a savvy player when it comes to not just his pass rush plan but also the angels he takes to diagnose and attack the QB. My most favorite is his motor. It definitely screams T.J. Watt levels currently. He simply does not stop or quit on any play. Also like T.J. Watt, he will not concede any play until the whistle is blown; a pre-requisite for any Steelers Linebacker. Now, for all the good he has, which is plenty, there is some bad. The biggest one stems from the fact that he really needs an NFL Weight Room to get him ready. While he is athletic enough, adding some more strength to his game will pay off. For example, putting him in pass rushing situations will be essential in terms of his development as leaving him to go up against run first teams will be a disaster. He is simply not strong enough for handling duties when sealing off the edge. Despite such problems, I believe that, in all honesty, Alex Highsmith is essentially T.J. Watt lite. Both players came out as high effort, efficient pass rushers who struggled in run defense. Why T.J. Watt was a superior player coming out though stems from his superior ability to play in coverage, his superior overall athleticism and his performance against Power 5 competition. In all honesty, had Alex Highsmith played at a Power 5 School, he is likely a borderline 1st Round Pick in this draft as the position was not very impressive this season in terms of depth.

Grade: B

Round Four; pick 18, 124th Overall:

Anthony McFarland: Running Back from the University of Maryland:

After acquiring Kerrith Whyte Jr., I was convinced that he would stay on the roster given his explosive capabilities. Now, the possibility is still there but it has gone down even more so thanks to the inclusion of Anthony McFarland. Now admittedly, I did not have him in my top 10 section for Running Backs in this years Draft. I had heard about him though after a successful Freshman Year. After that, I was expecting more from him in 2019 and it was off to a promising start. However, an Ankle Injury robbed him of valuable time. Fast forward to the NFL Combine, I expected him to obliterate the Vertical and Broad jumps. He only managed less than 30 on the Vertical and under 10 ft on the board. That 10 ft mark for me is important as that illustrates that the player has the necessary ability to have lateral burst just as much as vertical burst. Sadly, that did not happen. However, he also did these drills on an injured hamstring. Given the fact that said muscle is required for the test, had it been healthier, his results would have been higher.

Why am I going over his test results you may ask?! For me, the NFL Scouting Combine is nothing more than confirming what is shown on tape. Should be nothing more than that. That said, Anthony McFarland is one of the best outside zone runners in the class. His acceleration, speed and agility are all very much notable on tape. Against Ohio State in his Freshman Season, McFarland torched the Buckeyes for 298 Rushing Yards. Again, this is Ohio State we are talking about. Blown assignments or otherwise, you have to take what is given; having the instincts and killer mindset doubly so. Thankfully, McFarland possess both. The ability to also make others miss on the outside is also impressive as he is often either too quick, too elusive or just long gone by the time anyone has a bead on him. Now, with all that said, notice how I have stated "outside" multiple times. This is because having him run any other way is going to be a fatal mistake. I repeat, Anthony McFarland is not designed for being an in between the tackles type of Running Back. In addition, while his height can be beneficial in some ways, in can be detrimental in others. Now, in terms of desire to pass protect, no issues found here. However, the overall lack of power is going to be the issue until he gets into an NFL Weight Room. He can take on the likes of blitzing Defensive Backs and some linebackers but do not expect him to go toe to toe, blow for blow against pass rushers of any kind. His biggest issue though is his inexperience. Only two seasons and less than 350 total touches. As I have stated multiple times, 350 is the bare minimum in terms of collegiate experience a Running Back should have; 675 being the maximum. On one hand, his tread is the lowest among all qualifying Running Backs in the entire 2020 NFL Draft. On another hand, he is also arguably the most inexperienced among all Running Backs in the 2020 Draft. As such, putting him in third down situations or even having him as an option in the passing game is the best bet as working outside the numbers is his bread and butter. While he may never be a true three down back, he can increase his "Thermonuclear" abilities and round out his moves when working on the outside to make himself a complete slasher 'back, an impact player as a result.

Grade: B-

Fourth Round; Pick 29, Number 135 Overall:

Kevin Dotson: Offensive Guard from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Being my sixth rated Interior Offensive Lineman overall in this class, given the lack of quality Interior Lineman in the NFL currently, how he escaped the Third Round is unbeknownst to me. Regardless, Kevin is a Steeler as well as a Steelers fan. It all works out in the end. To start, I need to start with the bad regarding Mr. Dotson before moving on with the good. Moving him in space is something I advise major caution against. He is not designed to be used in such a capacity. On that note, speed rushers will give him major fits as a result of his limited athletic ability. Those specifically that can trap him in space then deliver the finishing move to get around him. Lastly, he will be 24 by the time the new league year starts. While that does not sound all that bad given the World's current set of circumstances in addition of the Steelers draft strategy due to said circumstances, what else is there for him to achieve in terms of physical improvement?! Not much I am afraid. In terms of his technics, much of the same although he could learn a major trick of the trade in the league. Again, he brings experience but nothing else to build on overall. So, what does he do that is good if anything given his limited athletic abilities?!

This is where Kevin Dotson shines and makes up for it. Oh... does he more than make up for it. To begin, say hello to the best Run Blocking Offensive Guard in the class. Heck, one can make a case for him to be the best overall Run Blocking Offensive Lineman overall in the entire draft. For a player with such limited lateral ability, getting him going downhill will not be much of an issue. Stretch plays, man on man plays or even straight up Goal Line situations, there will not be too many Defensive Tackles that can overpower him. Equipped with 33 inch arms, he has great length as the league average is 32 inches. Does arm length really matter overall?! Not really. However, having more length with experience never hurts and Dotson uses it to his full advantage. Keep in mind that I did say Speed Rushers will give him fits. Two things can be true however. While Speed Rushers will give him issues, that is only so if said Speed Rushers are able to win with their athleticism and power combined. Unless those Speed Rushers have combinations of both, it is not going to happen as Dotson has good length and too much experience to be countered so easily. Kevin Dotson is a callback to the Offensive Guards of yesteryear but with a bit of a modern flair to him. While I do not forsee any Pro Bowl nods, if the time arises, he can be an impact player due to his experience assisting him for a smooth transition to the pros.

Grade: B

Sixth Round; 19th Pick, Number 198 Overall:

Antonie Brooks Jr.

Now initially I liked this pick. To have someone challenge Marcus Allen for a roster spot was a good idea. A true hybrid player who has shown results during his time at Maryland. However, here in lies my issue with this pick. As stated before, Marcus Allen and Terrell Edmunds both fit this paradigm of player. Why add another?! There is not a "Minkah Fitzpatrick Failsafe" option on the team at safety as it stands. There is not much I really can add to Antonie Brooks Jr. in terms of impact on the Defensive Side of the ball as the options currently on the team can do that the same; Terrell Edmunds exceeding him in every imaginable way possible. However, his biggest impact will come from Special Teams in which his penchant for tackling mixed with his good Football IQ will shine. Think of him as somewhat of the replacement for Tyler Matakevich.

Grade: C-

Seventh Round; 18th pick, Number 232 Overall:

Carlos Davis: Defensive Tackle from the University of Nebraska

Carlos Davis is a bit of a unique case. On one hand, he has all the overall athletic traits and talent one would ever want. On another hand, his production does not match up to his abilities.. at all. That said, I do like his prospects. Now, keep in mind he will be 24 by the time the league year starts; outside Pittsburgh's threshold. In fact, accounting for Kevin Dotson, I believe this is the first time in the Kevin Colbert Era that the team has selected players who will turn 24 multiple times. Even so, unlike Antonie Brooks Jr., I do like Davis' chances of making the roster. Daniel McCullers needs another push as he is not offering much overall in terms of pass rush. Granted, neither is Carlos but the athletic abilities are there for him to actually improve as he does possess violent, heavy hands and good overall leverage. However, where he will shine early in his career will be his ability to anchor the Nose Tackle position more efficiently than Dan thanks in part to his natural leverage. This allows him to make an impact for the team as, with his natural leverage, technique and power, moving him from his spot is going to be very difficult for many Interior Offensive Lineman he will face.

Grade: B-

Overall Grade for the draft: B+

Final Notes:

As I said before, outside of one truly head scratching pick in the class, everything else I liked. This year's theme was "Impact". Given the situation that we currently face, adding unknowns or risks was simply not in the draft plans due to lack of information. In addition, as stated in the beginning, no Pro Days, no Pre Draft Visits, no Private Workouts, no anything. Plunging for wildcards in these current times is the equivalent of pooling all of ones hard earned savings for a chance to win the lottery big time; a chance that the team could ill afford to take. I could not blame them.

Now, as in regards to the theme, Pittsburgh was only given Six Draft Picks to work with. This means that the team needed to find players who could impact the team in a meaningful way. From a big bodied, multi role Receiver with "Thermonuclear" abilities to role players who are maxed out but can be slotted in at a moments notice, Pittsburgh relied heavily on experience, instincts and Football IQ rather than their usual approach of taking exceptional athletes who can be developed sans Chase and Alex. The end result is a draft that places a high emphasis on plug 'n' play players who can fill roles relative to what the team needs. Given the circumstances, I tip my cap to both Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert on another high quality draft. As always, time will tell with drafts like this.

However, when we look back on this draft and the World Crisis of 2020, we can say that, at the very least, Pittsburgh covered their bases proportionate to the situation that was given to them. That alone definitely counts for something that many of us take for granted; preparation.

Conclusion:

Another Steelers Draft in the books! In spite of the circumstances, as I said before, Pittsburgh did very well. Pittsburgh needed impact players and, for the most part, they got them. It will be interesting to see how these players develop thanks in part to the ongoing crisis. However, despite such an issue, I believe these Rookies will come out stronger from a mental aspect due to the difficulties that were already presented to them.

That concludes my review of the 2020 NFL Draft. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! Until next time everyone, take care, stay safe and have a good day! :)

Go Steelers! :steelflag:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you aware this thread is posted twice?

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Thank you!!

Fixed!

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    When you do these, you should go back 3 years and update that review too. If you include Minkah, it's an A. If not, I'm at a C+ because I wanted Dobbins badly and thought several positions, namely OL, were more important than WR. The rest, eh, anything after the first 100 picks is a big dart throw and is based off what happened previously. Meaning, if we had taken Dobbins, they don't take AMJ and so forth. To say nothing of eight XFL players added. That 5th rounder to Seattle was very dumb too. Highsmith and Dodson are good value I think. Like those two a lot. And, I do like Claypool. I do! I really want this team to be a Defense first, RBBC attack second, and Ben Bombs away third... but we aren't. I get that this draft will cover Juju leaving next year, ideally leaving money for TJ and Bud. I don't agree with that approach; I'd keep Juju over Dupree, though I understand there are cost considerations for sure.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nice write up. I’d probably give Brooks a C+ at the very least, maybe a B after I look at him more. Seems to be better in coverage then I first thought. You have to wonder what this means for Edmunds, I mean from what little I’ve seen of Brooks, already seems better defending the pass then Edmunds. Could be the answer to your question, why draft him.

Not sure about B- for Davis, I still have to look at him but just based on draft position alone, getting a B- in the 7th would be a nice find.

Good job over all on the review :thumbs up:

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Thank you AQL for doing of this very informative post. Fans like you are what separate Steelers fans from the rest of the pack. Our draft weekend thread had 47 pages on it. I bet not very many, if any, other teams fans showed that much interest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

First and foremost, glad you enjoyed the review! Really appreciate it man I really do! That said, regarding other fans, you would be surprised. Places like this that are a hub for other teams or even Reddit has threads such as this one.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So far 100% of the vote has been a B grade or above. SDOT and HM are going to hammer it down to a C or D for sure.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think Brooks has the speed to challenge for a starting role at safety. He seems more likely to get some of the snaps that went to Barron last year.

Overall, I thought the write-up was solid, if a bit optimistic in a few places, specifically Dotson and Davis.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can make up for speed with instincts. Mckinney ran an almost identical time, first safety off the board. Edmunds isn’t a blazer by any means and has shown no awareness in coverage.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice write up......

only thing that puzzles me is McFarland...... Maryland has sucked BAD all year..... McFarland rushed 6 times for 7 yards against OSU.... and 24 yards against penn state.....

sorry.... I just don’t see it.... he wasn’t even the best runner on his team.

one can only hope he comes in with a chip on his shoulder.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He was dealing with a high ankle sprain. 2018 he ran for 1034 yards on 131 carries.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I gave it a C. In my defense, I know nothing about the college kids & how good they may be. Would have liked to seen one more olineman instead of a RB when they passed on a RB in the 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nicely done @AskQuestionsLater

Here is another thing to remember about this past draft, the Steelers were not in a position of strength due to lack of early picks. That being said, and as was pointed out, they already get an A++ for their first round pick/trade.

Let's look at the NFL Draft Trade Value Chart and see just how weak our position was. We were in the 17th drafting spot based on our 2019 record and below are the point values that would normally have generated had there been no trades or prior movement of draft picks versus the points value we actually had.

Theoretical:
    17 = 950
    49 = 410
    81 = 185
    113 = 68
    145 = 33.5
    177 = 20.6
    209 = 7.8
    Total 1674.9 points

Actual

49 = 410
    102 = 92
    124 = 48
    135 = 38.5
    198 = 12.2
    232 = 2
    Total 602.7 points

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If Brooks shows himself capable, and that's a really big if, I could see us putting 3 safeties on the field. You don't then know which one is going to be deep, or 2. Maybe they play all 3 back. Maybe they blitz one of them. They all seem to play in the box well. It could lead to some creativity for Butler.

Heyward
    Tuitt
    Dupree
    Watt
    Bush
    Edmunds
    Brooks Jr.
    Minkah
    Hilton
    Nelson
    Haden

Its like a Dime Defense, but the safeties can all play the run pretty well. This could be a really good look assuming that Brooks is a player.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Even if Brooks is a player, Edmunds doesn't have the ball skills to play a deep safety; Brooks doesn't have the speed to play a deep safety. I am fine with 3 safeties in a dime package, but playing Fitzpatrick anywhere other than free safety is taking a risk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You're making the assumption you are playing single high in which case I would agree, but if they are playing cover 2 I think you could do some different things with Minkah.

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If you are expecting Edmunds and Brooks to cover the backend, you better have the corners sticking with their receivers and not passing them off to the safeties. I believe Edmunds still has room to improve. I am not down on him as some posters are, but until I see better ball skills, I am not trusting him to be the last line of defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no reason to think Edmunds can handle that job based on what we've seen so far. Brooks already seems to have better ball skills, but lacks the speed to do the job. I'd love to see Fitzpatrick able to move around more, but right now he has to be deep most of the time because they don't have another safety capable of doing it well.

I watched the extended highlights of the game against the Rams again last night. Two plays by Edmunds showed just how bad he really is. Early in the game, he was in perfect position on a pass down the left sideline. All he had to do was turn and he easily deflects the pass away and possibly intercepts it. Instead, he ran into the receiver and drew a pass interference penalty. Near the end of the game, Goff threw a fourth-down pass into double coverage in the end zone. Edmunds threw his arms up and again made contact with the receiver before the ball arrived. He should have been called for pass interference that likely would have cost the Steelers the game, but got lucky with no call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I like the Highsmith pick for three reasons:
    1. He has great quickness and hands.
    2. He has the potential to ease our contract problems with TJ and Bud.
    3. If he takes angels with him to diagnose and attack the QB, how could he go wrong?:smiley1: (but also the angels he takes to diagnose and attack the QB)

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why do people like this pick? I'm not going to even look at him and just get into the facts. Ola and Skipper killed it in preseason last year. Ola could never see the field and they cut Skipper. None of them are seeing the field unless Bud or Watt come off. Then you think this kid is going to come in and beat a dog like Ola with 2 years of pro experience? I don't see it happening. Highsmith's road to being a good pick and starting is like 2-3 years.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the mods should start a pinned thread of all of your idiotic prognostications so we can go back and get a good laugh whenever we want.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Put a capable player in edmunds spot and we probably would’ve had the best defense last year

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We like the pick because he has upside, he might not see the field much in 2020, but if Dupree leaves he will be starting over Ola or Skipper if they're still on the team in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like the player but I also get where you’re coming from. Highsmith probably has a higher pedigree than either Ola or Skipper ,but that being said ....if in the end we sign Dupree to a contract we spent a 3rd round pick ( comp I know) but still OUR 3rd round pick on a back up OLB. Watt and Dupree play 90% of the snaps and that’s not gonna change anytime soon especially if they are making 16+ mil. each. If he shows enough potential to get rid of Dupree and his 16 mil. next year it’s a great pick. If he doesn’t we just drafted a OLB to play 10% of the snaps when we had other needs that could of been filled.

• Winner Winner x 1