1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

53 Man right now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lambert, Apr 26, 2020.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Snell ain't out this trip no way.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm with you. There's a reason I was screaming for a DT but the dude we finally picked doesn't look good. Maybe one shakes loose elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Never know my friend. My biggest ***** with this team (as I'm sure it's the same with any teams fans) is this fact that when things are obvious through all the different scopes of input, they just got to fight it period. It's not just sports, it's in all of life's avenues with family friends work blah blah blah... It reddens my pigmentation and 100 fold come football season hahahahahha

• Like Like x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure what big Dan has on Tomlin, but the free ticket to the team cafeteria needs to be revoked. The experiment is over, the results are in and it's not a pretty picture. Time to cut ties, and free up the cooks for the new class. They're bringing in the 7th rounder to do so, but just a temp solution.

Don't hate on the Duck that bad. Kid did pretty well a lot of the time he was end until the end. He had zero training.

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Duck was simply a 4th string camp arm from a small school. Through unusual circumstances he ended up having to start 6 games in which the Steelers won 3 of them. That's about all you can expect from a rookie QB that far down the depth chart.

6. Carlos de la Garza

Carlos de la Garza Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Well i don´t think that Paxton can be a better 3rd QB, Duck shows for 3 weeks that he can be a strong backup in the NFL, the only reason that he didn´t a really good job is because they didn´t have a Quarterback coach but with Matt Canada as Coach, i think that he will learn new plays and more strategics to throw the ball. I believed in Hodges one time in the last season and he did a good job, i will believe this year that he will continue in the team.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hodges didn't really show he can be a strong backup in the NFL and he fell apart once teams got a look at him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They did what they could with the limited resources they had. It's a fine line between the win now gang and the draft for the future.

Claypool, ebron will help ben. We still have mcdonald. Will help ben. Our three receivers and mcdonald will be helped by ebron and claypool. Our run game will be helped by watt. Our run game will be helped by adding a capable rb to help Snell when corner goes down. Dotson is a younger ramon. Wisniewski is a finney replacement. Highsmith is a better chickillo. ILB has to bank on UG3. DL should be fine. We will be seeing layne on the field more this year so we have options in the secondary. We have quietly added a lot of oline depth. Duck or paxton is the least of our worries. Bringing it all together with this staff is more of a worry. They are not the quickest to adjust things. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I like the outlook. It probably is a better way to look at the roster compared to last year.

RB - Out Edmunds, In McFadden
    FB - Out Nix, In Watt
    WR - Out Holton, In Claypool
    TE - Out Vannett, In Ebron
    Oline - Out Finney, In Wisnieski
    Oline - Out Foster, In Dotson

Dline - Out Hargrave, In Tuitt (back from injury)
    Dline - Out Walton, In Wormley
    LB - Out Chickillo, In Highsmith
    LB - Out Barron, In Gilbert

I may be crazy, but I think for many of these spots we have improved. Maybe not, but I think we should be better. Younger probably, but also maybe better. I think there are some opportunities to yet add some vet UDFA. Safety, Inside and Outside LB, and NT if there is an upgrade to McCullers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gilbert likely does have to step up. That is no sure thing, but at some point, you have to let the young guys play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He wouldn’t even have been on the team if they hadn’t sent Dobbs to the Jags. I suspect he will be the odd man out this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Really? We had the worst QB ranking in the league!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I could see Samuels not here. I don't think Lewis makes it at ilb. I don't think allen is a safety. I don't think ola and skipper both stay on the 53.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They need to find a different punter. Colquitt cut by KC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    How about the UDFA Punter we signed...Any info

16. Carlos de la Garza

Carlos de la Garza Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Hey, what do you wait about an UDFA QB from Samford in his first year? You didn´t think that Devlin can remove Dobbs from the 3rd string in the preseason. After that, he made a good participation vs Ravens, Chargers, Bengals and Arizona. He made a really good participation against the browns. Only beacause he had a really bad day vs Buffalo, are you goint to hate him? After that game, after the fans criticism him, he lost the confindence only for the fault of the fans and him like Mason Rudolph after browns game in Cleveland. He went very criticized and didn´t play for 3 or 4 games in a row. The confidence of Hodges just went down when he throw 2 interceptions vs the jets and Mason needed to enter to try to win the game but Mason gets injuried and just in that play, the options to enter to postseason went to an end. Why? because Mason didn´t recovery for the season and postseason if we entered. Devlin went too critized after the game vs the jets and he played too scared against the ravens. But i think that in preseason he can change the mentality of the people of him. He just needed time to recovery and keep the calm.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup for 2020

Pittsburgh Steelers

1. [​IMG]

Offense: QB Ben Roethlisberger, RB James Conner, WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR James Washington, WR Diontae Johnson, TE Eric Ebron, LT Alejandro Villanueva, LG Stefen Wisniewski, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Matt Feiler

Defense: DE Stephon Tuitt, DT Dan McCullers, DE Cameron Heyward, LB Bud Dupree, LB T.J. Watt, LB Devin Bush, LB Vince Williams, CB Joe Haden, CB Steven Nelson, S Minkah Fitzpatrick, S Terrell Edmunds

Ben Roethlisberger missed all but two games of the 2019 season with an elbow injury. The results weren't good on offense. The Steelers finished an uncharacteristic 8-8 on the strength of a defense that racked up 38 takeaways. With Roethlisberger back, they'll hope to challenge the Ravens in the AFC North after Lamar Jackson and Co. ran away with the division.

The selection of Chase Claypool will apply some pressure in the receiver room. JuJu Smith-Schuster is in the final year of his contract. Diontae Johnson and James Washington flashed potential last season but aren't unassailable by any means. Eric Ebron gives the team an athletic upgrade at the tight end position. James Conner had a down year in 2019, so Benny Snell Jr. and fourth-round pick Anthony McFarland Jr. could be in for roles in the rushing game.

The defense will look mostly the same. Replacing Javon Hargrave at nose tackle will be the toughest obstacle. Dan McCullers has the job by default, but he's been relegated to a reserve role his entire career. Chris Wormley will provide needed depth along the front, and seventh-round pick Carlos Davis has the size (6'2", 320 pounds) to compete at nose tackle. Mark Barron is gone at linebacker. The team will likely count on Vince Williams, who started eight games to fill the role alongside Devin Bush. The secondary remains the same and should give one of the best 2019 defenses in the league some continuity.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Weaker defense. Stronger offense. Middle of the field and pass coverage, interior of defensive line worse then last year. Ben. :cool:

20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Maybe not if Tuiit comes back strong, And Wormley produces

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Given McCullers is the only NT on the roster is it worth having a look at Snacks Harrison? He was cut by Detroit, I didn’t see any of him last year so I don’t know if it was performance or cap reasons, but he was an All Pro NT a few years ago.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    still doesn't fix nt and ilb. :cool:

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the moves this offseason point to going with even fewer snaps with a nose tackle on the field. Barron was a liability against the run. Sure, he is better than Vince Williams in pass coverage, but it's not as if he was good. The guy was beaten constantly. It seemed as if a sound offensive strategy for opponents last year on third and 10 or less was to find Barron and throw there.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    On the roster:

Defensive Ends:
    Alualu-6'3"/302
    Buggs-6'3"/295
    Coatney-6'4"/325
    Hendrix-6'4"/270
    Mondeaux-6'4"/280
    Taylor- 6'9"/310 (R)
    Tuitt- 6'6"/303

Defensive Tackles:
    Davis-6'2"/320 (R)
    Heyward-6'5"/295
    McCullers-6'7"/352
    Walker-6'2"/278

Nose Tackle:
    Wormley-6'5"/300

First, McCullers has to go. To many years of little to no production. There are plenty of players that can work the middle part time in this new Defensive scheme. Gone are the days of Steed and Big Snack Hampton. Even Hargrave was a part timer only getting more snaps last season due to Tuitt's injury.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

This guy is a free agent NT, not sure if he can play a 3/4 NT though, he used to be a good player in Green Bay.