1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Anthony McFarland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Take those character concern reports with a grain of salt. People lie big time to ruin prospects.

Nice write up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers got years of elite production out of both before things blew up.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How many more could we have had?

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Jags targeted Steelers for Fournette. Although this article sites day 2, I bet the Steelers were on the phone prior to taking McFarland, they took a while to make that pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The article has them trying to trade Fournette to the Buccaneers, not the Steelers. When it lists the Steelers and some other teams as those pegged as possible destinations, it isn't clear if was media speculation or the Jaguars organization doing the pegging. It sounds like the former.

6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Ben have no reason to go empty backfield anymore in the redzone ...absolutely no reason

7. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    With McFarland & Dionte Johnson handling return duties ...that should be enough to render Switzer useless

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    Look like Benny Snail is the odd man out ...practice squad??

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am scratching my head with this pick, everything I read says he is a bad pass blocker and has had injury concerns. Some say he has good hands and some say he hasn't been used much in the pass game. On the other hand they say he has home run potential which is something the Steelers need out of the RB position. I thought that was why Wyhte was here and thought he looked good.

I also read the character concerns but how much of that is real or not? He was coached by Canada and was MT's son's teammate so I would have to think is anyone knows about this kid it would have to be the Steelers. I did not like the pick here I wanted us to go so many other places like S(Wallace), C(Biadiasz) and yes QB(Fromm) but he is here and now we have to hope we clean out a crowded RB room.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My bad, misread that but I’m sure they were contacting other teams, Steelers make sense.

They were definitely working the phones that pick, whether it was trying to obtain Fournette or not I don’t know.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Awful post, man. Awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How? Why?

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    People get so enamored with speed that’s all they see. Look at Snells college production it blows away anything McFarland has done, not to mention the durability. Snell is a absolute steal and home run if you consider they were both 4th round picks. That’s the kind of RB you look for in the 4th.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joel Ritenour

Joel Ritenour Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    What really caught my eye is that he shredded Ohio State with 298 yards!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    If you taking only 4 backs, somebody not eating. Who has more value ..Snell or Samuel??

16. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    LOL ...I like Snell too ..that Raven game was impressive ...Samuels gives you a receiving threat too

17. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    On average Snell is good for a solid 2 yard run ...very exciting ...Daddy McFarland can take it to the house on any given carry

18. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    McFarland need to gain another 10 to 15 pounds...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Got around to watching some tape and think they got a player. His speed is obvious, not just from a hr threat but he bursts through a hole for a first down in the blink of an eye or gets you 7 or 8 yards making it easy to move the chains. If he see’s daylight he’s gone, it’s ridiculous, makes it look easy.

He finds most of his success around the TE but more than capable of running between the tackles. Hard runner that runs through arm tackles but wouldn’t waste time running him up the middle at the goal line, was getting stuffed at the college level, leave that to Conner and Benny but he will be across the goal line to the outside in a second.

Definitely needs work in pass protection, he looks like he can catch but Maryland didn’t use him much in that regard.

Overall, I feel better about the pick, he’s a guy that can change the course of a game with just one run and is a more effective runner than I originally thought even when he’s not ripping off long TD’s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I think he's boom or bust with no in between. I wasn't big on the pick right when it happened because MD sucks and I was still hurting over Dobbins LOL ...but I have seen flashes in AMJ and he hasn't been abused like Taylor was in Wisconsin. RBs are funny, and he may fail, but I can easily see that he explodes with good talent around him and becomes a very good player for us. I've been screaming for years about RBBC. If we can properly implement that, our offense will be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Samuels will likely be the odd man out, he's one dimensional.

22. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, but he's the best RB at that dimension. I think Whyte is gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they will keep 4 RBs, Conner, Snell, MacFarland, send Whyte to the practice squad cut Samuels.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking Whyte. Samuels is probably the best catching back of the group.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    There's combine speed and football speed. As far as I'm concerned, 4.5 down is good enough for just about every position on the team (LOL). And that's just to eliminate any physical/mental deal they maybe trying to hide. That's it! Other than that, how fast have they played? That's where it counts for our sport, not the track! He plenty fast!

We haven't had a break it to the outside back since ....willie? We need to have this type of back to compliment our traditional power run game, always. Long overdue. You don't draft an Anthony McFarland to pass block or even play many downs. And you know what? He doesn't pan out, cya, grab another one. Rinse/Repeat.

This year is make or break for James. You like RBs? Tune into next year's Steelers' draft.

Like this pic, worthy gamble.