1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to back HORRIBLE drafts. Tomlins infatuation with DMV players.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 26, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This all started last year...

I told you all we should have traded up for Metcalf because we needed a deep threat. Yinz want to argue with me for a year about how we didn't need him. What do they do a year later? Draft a player scouts say could "maybe be as good as Metcalf one day"

Anyways, I like the pick but I think our 1st two picks could have been acquired after trade backs. Trade back and maybe get Dobbins, Akers, or Claypool.

Most definitely could have traded back for another 3rd and still got Highsmith. I don't think he was on any teams radar. He said he only talked to one other team. I wanted Trevis Gipson for future edge rusher.

Could have got Kindley who was rated 3rd best guard in draft. Instead we got a guy who wasn't even invited to combine.

Center??? Pouncey was one of the worst centers in the league last year. Let BJ walk. We should have got Tyler Biadasz.

Then I liked Albert O as future TE and Quartney Davis as deep threat.

If Tomlin is going to be lazy and only suggest drafting Maryland players because he's the only one watching their games because of his son. Edmunds bros on our team, Sean Davis, Derwin Gray, Worilds. All average. Now we wasted two more picks on Terps. DMV players suck at football.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    C5B3BF71-3C70-48F2-8276-9CB10A659106.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will take Bush any day over Metcalf. It would have taken our 2nd round pick we gave up to the Broncos to move up and select Bush in the first to draft Metcalf last year.

I was really hoping for Akers in the 2nd, but I understand why they would go after a big target like Claypool with the supporting cast around him. He will be a RedZone nightmare for all the small corners in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    These arguments are as bad as the ones about Metcalf last year. Once again, they are based on assuming trading partners will give the Steelers what they want without exacting too high of a price. We also don't really know how much later they could have gotten Claypool or Highsmith. Claiming they definitely could have traded down and gotten an extra pick along with Highsmith simply isn't true. It's not definite at all.

There is one beacon of logic. They should have taken Biadasz. I'd happily take him over either of the fourth-round picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    what's a DMV player? lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I believe people from the DC area use it to describe the greater area of DC, Virginia, Maryland.

Still seems like a reach - I am sure the Steelers do their due diligence on all prospects, regardless of geography.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    DC, Maryland, Virginia.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Open plea to the Ravens: Please, PLEASE hire SDOT as your new GM.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Isn't Tomlin the coach and Colbert the GM? Tomlin has a say but Colbert makes the picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Love this draft...And wouldn't have gotten Bush last year...Our D went from poor to very good...Wth is wrong with you

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Steelers got an A- grade, With only 6 picks...Guess that isn't good enough for SDOT

• Like Like x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It didn’t even take 24 hours for his annual doom and gloom report.

• Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    don’t bother using facts and logic with him it’s pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I thought he meant Department of Moter Vehicles. I'll agree with SDOT on that, the guy that took my driver licence picture looks like he would suck at football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dude. I think you are over thinking about this. Yes, the Steelers should have picked Dobbins. Hell...I should have purchased Apple stock...but I didn't. Let's move on. Steelers seem to find a way to make bad picks, but all teams do! Let's move on and work with what we've got.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    a 6’4” 240lb wr that runs a 4.4 40yard is far cry from a bad pick. People seem to forget a gm can’t draft solely based on this years needs alone. They have to look forward a year or two at which player(s) will retire or leave via free agency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    But RB was more of a need than WR. We have Juju, Washington and DJ. Alright... gonna STFU now and worry about more pressing matters.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    They did sign an undrafted FA Center from Tulane who seems intriguing last night

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    juju is a free agent next year. There’s a good chance we can’t afford him. Which makes having his successor already on board a definite need. It’s possible to lose Conner to free agency as well. However, it is far easier to plug in a rookie rb and find success than wr.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thank you, Mr. Sunshine!

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    At 6'4" and nearly 240lbs Chase claypool will be a major problem for any cb not named Patrick ramsey, Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman....

Alex highsmith is a classic Steelers pick .... A college de that will convert to 3-4 edge.... He nearly has a complete pass rush repertoire and has a very high ceiling.... Basically, they're saying that there's no way to keep watt and Dupree together for very long

Macfarland is a one cut home run hitter and at 5'8" and 208 lbs is far from a scat back.... This kid is for real

Dotson is a major roadgrader and will eventually be a regular starter

Antoine brooks can play anywhere in the secondary and loves to hit

Carlos Davis will need some development, but is active and strong at the point of attack... Don't sleep on him

Overall, while I wanted a few different players, I am more than happy with this draft class

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In Penn State’s hey day they recruited a lot from Maryland and Virginia.

There might be some truth to it though about Tomlin’s infatuation, I’m hearing bad stuff about McFarland off the field. I’m surprised the Steelers took him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Our current qb coach was his offensive coordinator and head coach. Tomlin’s son played with him at Maryland. If there was anything to this anonymous source report the Steelers have firsthand knowledge

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    In addition McFarland said that Matt Canada was like a "second father" to him at Maryland.

25. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Like most of you I'm hoping most of our picks this improve our team. It's going to be rough in our division with the Ratbirds and Browns sporting better teams. Even Cincinnati has some solid picks. You never know whats going happen. Draft picks don't pan out, injuries ECT. One thing I do know, good or bad we love our team and will back them until the season is over. Stay safe and strong Steeler fans.