1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

53 Man right now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lambert, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Go...

Offense (25)
    QB (3) - Ben, Mason, Duck
    RB (5) - Conner, Snell, AMJ, Samuels, Watt
    WR (5) - Juju, DJ, Wash, Clay, Cain
    TE (3) - Vance, Ebron, Gentry
    OL (9) - AV, Chuk, Feiler, Banner, DD, Pouncey, Wis, Dotson, Gray

Defense (25)
    DL (6) - Hey, Tuitt, Wormley, Alualu, Dan, Buggs
    OLB (5) - TJ, Bud, High, Skipper, Ola
    ILB (4) - Bush, Vince, Gilbert, Lewis
    CB (5) - Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Sutton, Layne
    S (5) - Minkah, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Allen, Brooks

ST (3) - Boz, Berry, Canaday

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d swap Carlos Davis for Dan because why the heck not, can’t be worse.

I’d swap Paxton for Duck too but meh, no big deal either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I thought about Davis there. Wouldn't shock me if both were gone and we picked up a vet cut. Took Samuels over Whyte because he's a good receiver. 4th ILB spot is open.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Definitely Paxton for Duck, Duck has thrown his last pass in the NFL imo. Not a big deal at all though.

I think the rest is spot on. Depth at ILB and safety needs improvement before football start. They’re very thin there.

That’s actually a pretty good roster when you go through it. If Ben can still play at a high level and they return to a more normal level of injuries during the season anything is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, I know Duck stinks but Pax does too. Maybe they'll grab a different 3rd.

6. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'd rather have Lynch or Barrett over Duck. Duck just doesn't have the arm to be a Pro QB.

Other than that, I think the 53 is pretty much spot on.

7. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Did the active roster expand from the normal 53?? If not, I can see Snell as the odd man out, probably PS ...Paxton Lynch former #1 pick is almost guaranteed the #3 spot over Duck...

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Carlos Davis makes the team and he backs up Buggs, who will be the starting NT.

I just can’t see Alualu or Wormley on the Nose.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed except a Flacco, Glennon type just in case Rudolph is not it...An emergency plan, 3rd string veteran guy ( might still be one out there who hasn't been cut yet )

Also Dan finally gone, Clark or the UDFA who's name escapes me, or a vet cut...And also the end of Berry, They screwed the pooch on this one last year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the rosters expand to 55 this season per the new CBA

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they will keep 5 safeties and 5 cornerbacks, I think it will be 6 cornerbacks and 4 safeties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep, one of the stipulations is you have to carry a 9th OL..Which makes a true Road Grader like Dotson where "position flexibility" is not quite as important

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dan and Duck are gone I am afraid. In comes Carlos Davis and Paxton Lynch. I think that Lynch is due for a bit of a renaissance in his career now that he has a competent QB Coach in Matt Canada who can work with his strengths.

Agree with the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol, not going to happen. He’s more likely to be the feature back then be moved to the PS, if he’s even eligible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I'd actually prefer both spots are filled with cuts from elsewhere.

16. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I was ignoring this: "Though the roster limit will continue to be 53 for 2020, two players from the practice squad may be brought up to increase roster sizes to 55 on gameday, with those two players reverting back to the practice squad after gameday. Practice squads will also be increased in size from 10 players to 12 beginning this season."

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Certainly possible. Once you get passed the first 7 or 8 DBs the exact position for the rest gets blurry.

18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    "The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game."

LINK

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This makes very little sense. Snell isn't going anywhere. If he was cut, he'd never make it to the practice squad.

Lynch isn't guaranteed anything. No matter how bad things got, he didn't even make it onto the field last season. That should tell you something. He could certainly beat out Hodges, but if they liked him enough for that to be a guarantee, we'd have at least seen him play Week 17.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This makes very little sense. Snell isn't going anywhere. If he was cut, he'd never make it to the practice squad.

Lynch isn't guaranteed anything. No matter how bad things got, he didn't even make it onto the field last season. That should tell you something. He could certainly beat out Hodges, but if they liked him enough for that to be a guarantee, we'd have at least seen him play Week 17.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not sure how this will be implemented, but the gameday roster will be expanded to 48, with one of the extra having to be an OL. I think I read somewhere that the extra OL will be like the 3rd QB was last decade, on the roster but could not play unless injury. Only reason I bring this up is, while it may not impact the 53 that you have here, the PS will not be more active as well.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    McCullers needs to go and take up space with another team. Not saying but hoping Carlos Davis gets a spot. Buggs can man the nose, it's not a full time position.

And how about the riches to rags that Duck went through, love to hate. Gone. They will hold on to Lynch.

Now its over and what lies ahead is anybody's guess due to this unfortunate situation we all are in.

Stay safe.

23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think camp and preseason games will determine if it’s Duck or Lynch. As a vet, Lynch should’ve been ready his 2nd week. He wasn’t. Maybe Canada will change that. But he could also help Duck. Frankly, I don’t think Duck’s arm is the problem, it’s his decision making, which is where the off season and a coach can help. Time will tell how much work he put in.

• Like Like x 1
  24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    No more Dan!

25. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Nice to see you back on here again Hack!! I've missed your insight.

• Like Like x 1