1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers 2020 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s an A with mink, not counting him it’s a B-

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Lots of teams get "pro bowl" players. hell, we got three in one draft. after you get to the pro-bowl playersthat are voted in, and ones who are replacements for guys who don't want to play, or are injured, or were in the super bowl? but all-pro? thats a different monster all together. and freaking minkah was All-Pro. The top Free Safety in football.

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ugh, no future QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

He sure was the biggest and best performer on College Football's biggest stage. He still showcased some of those limitations then; some more egregious than others. Just because a QB is the most important position does not make them automatically the best player in that draft. For example, in 2018, many people had SaQuan Barkley as a better player coming out of college than Baker Mayfield. Same goes for 2019 as Nick Bosa was a better player than Kyler Murray.

Now, as you said, by virtue of the position, especially in 2018 and 2019, the Quarterback position won out but only because the talent level overall were close enough by the teams to super cede that difference; Baker being close to SaQuon and Kyler being close to Nick Bosa. Drafting the best player vs. drafting a QB is relative to the talent level of the two. If the talent gap is immense, the best player wins out. If the talent is close enough, the Quarterback does.

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I personally think
    I agree that helped but I think mahomes would have figured it out. Hes better than baker at every aspect and honestly outplayed him when they went head to head in college baker just had the far better team. If you're good you'll figure it out. Kyler had a horrible oline and no one to throw to with a head coach who had a losing record in college and he still looked like a top ten qb and baker his rookie year looked really good tbh.

6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Dobbins is so good that he got passed on again before someone finally took him. Whats funny is the team that took him just took him because he was there, not because he is even needed. I wonder what the experts who actually need a RB saw him him that they picked other players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ravens are the new Patriots. :facepalm:

8. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Bucs are the new Patriots.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I really don’t get that move. First of all, the hype is a little much for him, he’s no Saquon Barkley. Secondly, they have Ingram and Edwards and lastly, Jackson runs the ball every other play.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Your unthinkably, colossal pessimism never ceases to amaze me.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s sad, Patriot reign is over so he needs to find a new Patriots team to fill the void.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I said though, never ceases to amaze! Gets even better this time around for he thinks that Bill Belichick now resides in the AFC North! I did not hear a trade between Baltimore and New England! Did you?!

• Like Like x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I am the anti- Glemm. Steelers are a mediocre team. You can live in denial....but I will accept reality for what it is. Steelers are no match for Ravens and Chiefs. Those teams will own the Steelers. This is truth.

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm a realist... Everyone is a paper champ until the trophy is handed out.go STEELERS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We should be able to make some noise this year, but the Ratbirds are still the team to beat in the division.

If Ben has a normal year, we will have an offense to go with the defense and near guaranteed playoff level football in on the way.

If Ben is washed up, then another 8-8 season looms.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't understand why all Steelers fans are anointing Lamar Jackson the 2nd coming after just one good year? Lets see how he responds this year before announcing the Ravens are the team to beat. Now that the book is out on him he may surprise all these worshipers and take a major step backwards as Defenses are now prepared for him.

See his stats from 2018: 84.5% rating and for every 2 Tds, he threw 1 int.

Then there is the fact that he has lost every playoff game he has played in. 2yrs, 2 loses, and NO WINS.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perception can truly be a fickle aspect. The most important one of all is that the power of choice remains the only truth there is. We perceive whatever we desire; good or bad. That is a universal truth without question.

You just happen to believe that Pittsburgh being mediocre to be true simply because you are incapable of accepting change from the very team you supposedly support; positive change doubly so. For that matter, you accept any and every excuse imaginable to reinforce the illusion of the world that you have created in which no one except two teams are superior and everyone else is simply just exists. Quite a short sighted view.

A world that consists of nothing but dominance from two teams despite the fact that change has taken place within the last three days. Time stops for no man and progress is not stagnant. Given the way you converse with others about how inferior the Steelers are, perhaps it is you who needs to accept reality for what it is: choice.

All 32 Teams chose to get better as they have fans to appeal to; Steelers included. You choose to believe the Steelers are mediocre without stating any reason why.

Again, perhaps it is you who needs to stop being in denial and choose a different outlook.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and this is one reason why Burrow is no shoo-in to be a success at the NFL level.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m certainly not anointing him anything at all. I’ll ask those who think LJ is going to have a fantastic career how Cam Newton has done since his MVP year? LJ had 176 rushes last season, and the Ravens offense was completely dependent on getting a high volume of rushing from him. That’s more than Newton had to carry the ball earlier in his career, and Newton broke down eventually even though he is as big and strong as a 4-3 defensive end. LJ is nowhere near that sturdy. The Ravens of today and Panthers of 2015 both schemed their QBs to success in the passing game. Deshaun Watson is an example of a guy who has great mobility, but it’s just a part of his repertoire, not the focal point. Watson is a true QB who can win with his mind and his arm. Newton is not, and I’m a long way from being sold that LJ is either. One thing that I believe is certain is that LJ cannot handle carrying the load as a runner like he was asked to last season. The law of averages says that the big hits are coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Bucs are the 'old' Patriots. No doubt Brady has weapons, but they still are not the best team in the NFC south.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The Browns were the SB champs on paper last year, that worked out well. Every team supposedly improved themselves in the draft. Because of strengths that already exist, some look far better. Except for a very few key performers the draft is still a 3 year wait. The percentage factor has been pretty consistent, many of those draft high will not perform to same standards that warranted that pick. There will be a few drafted later who will shine and surprise. This year is going to be even more difficult for the rook's if the practice limitations are still in place. Kevin Colbert said they are making decisions based on an 8-8 team, pretty forthright and humbling. Not making excuses about injuries or what could have been, just reality..the last 2 years the team had been in that dimension. To me this was a solid and unsexy draft. With only 6 picks they addressed a need many have overlooked, lack of TD production. While this can be attributed to losing Ben, fact is the red zone talent just was not there. Adding Chase (and Ebron) gives immediate impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    You are Sigmund Freud reborn. Impressive.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    While I get the comparison with Newton I think Cam was a much more violent runner that almost invited contact when he broke the pocket, probably due to his size. It was not sustainable in the end.

Lamar seems to know when a play is over and when to run out of bounds or slide, he rarely crashes in to the tackle. Russell Wilson has that same style and has never missed a game with injury in his career.

That’s not to say LJ’s path will be the same. All it takes is one 240lb linebacker to nail him hard and it could change the course of his career, he has put a big target on his back now. If he ever has to abandon that running style I don’t think he is a good enough passer to overly worry anybody. His rushing ability is opening up the pass for him right now.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nothing otherworldly about what I said. Again, that is your perception. You should work to balance out the good and bad of aspects in life.

You will be shocked as to how much more positive you can be if you do. :)

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are correct in the facet that people coined the Browns Super Bowl contenders on paper. That I will not deny. What I can also not deny is the perception of others who felt compelled to illustrate their perception of such a claim by making the Browns a major Offseason headline. Again, that is the power of choice at work here. As we all saw, so much more must be factored in when accounting for what makes a Super Bowl team; continuity, desire and perseverance bein . chief among them. As well all saw, Cleveland had none of that; hence why I was not worried or concerned like so many others.

Now, regarding Kevin Colbert, you are correct. He did choose these players based on what he has seen the past two seasons. However, he is also choosing to build for the future. Keep in mind d that Claypool possess more potential that just merely a go route level receiver