1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers 2020 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers 2020 Draft class

Chase Claypool, WR
    Alex Highsmith, Edge
    Anthony McFarland, RB
    Kevin Dotson, G
    Antoine Brooks, S
    Carlos Davis, DT

Overall I like it. Would have preferred to use both 4th rd picks on the line, Driscoll was still available at tackle or Biadasz at center, he may be the steal of the draft. Would have been nice having that to step in for Pouncey when he’s finished.

I’m going to watch some games on McFarland, see if I like that pick any better, guy can fly though, we don’t have that.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I give it an overall grade of C+. If we include Micha Fitz, then it's a B+. Won't really know for about 3 yrs. Wanted offensive hogs but they didn't follow my instructions

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Before we even drafted, Minkah alone gives this draft an A, or better.

How many teams will get a pro bowl player in the first round?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Minkah makes this an A+

Aside from Minkah, we got a WR in the 2nd and a RG in the 4th that may turn into big time players

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am a tough grader. But I'll buy what your selling. Make it an A then. I am just worried about the OL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Overall: B

Claypool: A-
    Highsmith: B
    McFarland: C-
    Dotson: A-
    Brooks Jr: B-
    Davis: C-

I think Claypool starts as WR4 and is a core ST player. I think he eventually takes WR2 from JW and is certainly much more involved in RZ situations. I'm going to temper my expectations and say his rookie campaign is 500 yards and 6 TDs.

Highsmith won't have much impact in 2020. ST value. Starts out as OLB5 may get ahead of Skipper ifnrough cuts need to be made at 53.

Not sure how much of a role McFarland carves out. Depends on injuries. Outside of home run speed, I don't see much else in his game.

Dotson has a legitimate chance to start on Day 1. Come in and be the Mauler he is, take to coaching, improve in pass protection and I feel really good about him. At worst Wisniewski grabs the LG job and Dotson is the #1 backup at both OG positions.

At best, Brooks will fill that Burnett/Barron S/LB hybrid role they keep trying to make work. Should make the roster but not a lock.

Davis is here for a cup of coffee. With all the bodies we brought in during the off-season, highly unlikely he even makes the practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    When Football starts back up in 2025 it will be like Mad Max hopefully these guys are still around

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers 2020 Draft class

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S
    Chase Claypool, WR
    Alex Highsmith, Edge
    Anthony McFarland, RB
    Kevin Dotson, G
    Antoine Brooks, S
    Carlos Davis, DT

Ok, fixed it :thumbs up: :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 3
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jeh1856.

I hope all is okay in your World. All is okay here so far.

Yes. folks around here should not forget about the Minkah acquisition for one second. His acquisition paid off big dividends immediately and will continue to. So, as far as I am concerned, he is definitely part of this year's draft. Obviously, the Defense is a composition of 11 players. However, when Minkah came aboard it just seemed like things took a gigantic leap in the right direction. I realize that he is just one cog in the "D" Machine but what a huge component. This is why we have to keep this "D" together as long a possible. The only weak piece I continue to see is Edmunds. Hopefully, this will be a break out season for him. In addition, as I have stated several times, I want a true NT. A Casey 2.0 prototype. Hargrave was good but was playing out of position. He is more suited for a 4-3 defense as a DE.

How many #1 picks do we have? Shoot we better be dominating on "D". Again, get that big body NT to clog up the middle. I have been saying this for a while now. The once totally dominant "Passing League" is slowly regressing as RBs are becoming more of a premium. In part, this is because there really are not that may good QBs left. Tell me who: Mahomes, Wilson, who else?

The Mannings are gone. So is Luck. Those close to being set out to pasture are: Ben, Brady, Brees and Rivers. When they are gone, the last of the elite are gone. This is why in part, IMO, the RB is making a comeback.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    C- when you factor Minkah. Deepest draft in awhile. Everybody in our division got better while we did a whole lot of nothing. I think our first 2 picks could have been acquired with trade backs and getting more picks and higher quality players in the 3rd.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I give it a B-

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I give it a C minus. Should have picked Dobbins. :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Of course you think that way. The sky is always falling in sdot land.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not true. I use to be a very positive person but this team has beat me into being pessimistic the last few years. Letdown after letdown. Two horrible drafts back to back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I liked it. Immediate contributors from Claypool and maybe Dotson. A lot of help on STs with Brooks and possibly McFarland doing KR. Highsmith will take a year to ripen I think.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Even Top 10 picks are not guaranteed the Pro Bowl. Have to have some objectivity here. Chase Young is the likeliest to get some serious votes but injuries are apart of the game too. Not saying he will be injury prone but luck does play a factor just as much as performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'd give it a C. I would have made different choices on almost every pick. I can't condemn it totally because the team isn't sb caliber and that won't happen overnight with a draft unless you're an already made team that's a piece or 2 away. Idk what to think going forward because giving Ben that money would make you think they are thinking sb for the last few years of his career. Just don't see it happening though unless we get blessed somehow offensively.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Will have my thoughts tomorrow @Blast Furnace via a thread. Too many opinions for me to share with one post. I will say this; given the limited resources, I believe the team did very well. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    One more thing to mention is postion too. For example, Cleveland looks bad for taking myles garrett over deshaun or mahomes. Garrett is a good defensive player and may even be dpoy caliber one day but his impact will never match what a qb can.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ignore him.

He is just concerned that his draft crush is inferior to our own; "Mapletron". Take my word for it! :thumbs up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True but Myles Garrett was going number one as both DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes had flaws of their own that crippled their draft stock; Watson's inconsistencies as a full field reader and how well Mahomes would translate to the pros. For Cleveland, I could not blame them for taking Garrett that high as me and @SteelCity_NB both pointed out at the time that, outside some desire issues, his athletic talent, skill set and potential were simply too difficult to pass up.

Keep in mind that Myles Garrett was widely reputed as a "Can't Miss Prospect". Personally, I did not agree at the time as work ethic and desire have to be factored in as well if I am to label a pass rusher such. That said, had Myles not been an idiot, we are likely looking at the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year as he would have caused major damage against Miami and Pittsburgh again; Arizona, Cincy and Baltimore, who they beat would have been next. For that matter, while it is comical to state this, Myles Garrett likely would have made Cleveland capture that final Wildcard as Cleveland's pass rush went extinct. Without him, Cleveland nosedived.

Now, all this said, I still believe that, at the time, the Cleveland Browns should have selected Myles Garrett then packaged their two First Rounders to take Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes as Cleveland had three First Round picks in 2017. Why they did not is truly baffling to me.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I thought deshaun should have went number 1 at that time before we know what we know now. He TWICE on the biggest stage in college shredded a STACKED Alabama defense. That was enough for me to say take him. But almost in every draft a positional player outranks a qb. But qb is the most important position. Baker had plenty of issues and they took him number 1. They also passed on wentz. Chase young is a better prospect than burrow and tua and I guarantee if Miami had the 2nd pick they still would have went tua or traded back with someone so they could get chase young. Washington just believes haskins is their guy which I don't. Great as a defender can be they will never match the impact of a qb. Aaron Donald is the best defensive player in the nfl and not a soul would trade him for any of the top ten qbs in the league. He wouldnt even be traded for kyler murray.

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think we addressed just about every major need. Claypool is a complete freak of nature. 4.42 speed on a 238 lb WR. And at 6'4" he has a 40 inch vertical leap. Unreal.
    Highsmith gives us much needed depth at OLB. He is a pure pass rusher with 14 sacks last year.
    Dotson has a chance to start as a rookie this year and was graded the top run blocking guard in the draft.
    Brooks can give the team depth at both safety and linebacker, taking over for Barron.
    Davis is a 320 lb run stuffer.
    McFarland will be a change of pace speed back behind the often injured Conner and behind Bennie Snell.

• Like Like x 1
  24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well that's certainly reminiscent of the Gabe VS. Dan scenario that we keep playing out over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would Mahomes be Mahomes if Cleveland had picked him? Remember that the Chiefs redshirted him behind Smith year 1 and put him in when he was ready.

If the Browns selected him he’d have been the starter by week 3 and would have been blown up all season behind a terrible line with nobody to throw to and Hue Jackson coaching him, that experience could potentially have destroyed his confidence and his career. Do not underestimate the influence Andy Reid and the overall environment in KC has had on mahomes success.

• Agree Agree x 4