1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Alex Highsmith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Reading the analysis of him on the NFL draft tracker https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alex-highsmith?id=32194849-4759-5832-21ce-07274900b330. It appears that he made a great deal of progress in the past 2 years. I sure hope this young man maintains the drive to succeed or we just drafted what could be a perennial backup. Also if you read the link and look at his weakness you'll see that his sack stats were padded due to games against Garner-Webb and Old Dominion.

By Lance Zierlein
    NFL Analyst
    Overview
    Stand-up edge rusher with splashy production to get him noticed by 3-4 fronts. Highsmith is quick to diagnose and slip blocks to make plays in the backfield, but lacks the strength and anchor to take on blocks and set strong edges. He's clearly put in work when it comes to creating a diverse inside/outside rush attack that has a chance to keep growing if he can weaponize his hands and improve his speed-to-power attack. His play is more finesse than physical and may not be ready for early downs in the NFL.
    He currently projects as an NFL backup but his ascending play and production could push him into a bigger role if he can get bigger and stronger.

I sure hope the pick pans out.

2. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Replacement for Dupree in a year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I use to feel that way but more and more college players are getting NFL ready and we are now seeing mid round guys as stars. jmo

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have been great at drafting OLBs.....not! Watt is the only good one and he was a blue chip sure shot pick.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  5. Joel Ritenour

Joel Ritenour Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I watched his highlight film. He has step around move that is unbelievable. He could be a faster version of TJ.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I looked at the video of his game against Clemson ... he had 1 nice sack and was close a couple other times.

I’m a little concerned about his run defense. He was getting pushed off the ball and when the ball was run to the opposite field he was slow in pursuit.

Nothing to be totally worried about, he just has some work to do...

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He was such a lock as a future DPY that we got him at what, 29, and the 6th edge in the draft.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Explain Jones and Dupree. Steelers got good value out of Gildon, Porter, Haggans and Worilds. But that was eons ago.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True Heinz but we can only hope this guy can come in and compete for next years spot after the one year wonder goes elsewhere.

Jason Worilds comes to mind who was a 2nd rounder and was pretty dominate. Then he retired at 27 although he might not have been signed by the Steelers looking to get 7 mill a year and had other suitors.

To me it was a definite position of need and they filled it.

Go Steelers...

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nobody, absolutely nobody, hits on every pick. Jones I'll give you. Dupree flashed, and broke out last year. It's always great to have 20/20 hindsight.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. He was far from a being thought as a sure thing. I pimped him but he didn’t even have a first rd grade by everyone.

His lack of experience at the position dragged him down. That was a damn good pick by the Steelers.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'm optimistic on this kid. Three things he has that are key when I look at someone who is drafted. First, his motor. He seems to be relentless and that is what you need in the later parts of a game. It confirms he is strong and in shape to keep playing at a high level. Second, heart. Nothing was given to him and he had something to prove and he did it. Third, football instinct.
    Some players just find a way to be around where the football is. Put 10-15 pounds of muscle on his frame and he'll be a beast. Biggest obstacle, injuries, like everyone else.

13. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    he’ll play four years and then the teams that passed on him will offer him 100 million a year.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So.... outside of Jarvis Jones, the others were pretty good then?!

Noted!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We definitely could've gotten him in the 4th

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The scouting reports I've seen have all mentioned that he needs to get stronger.

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Round 3, No. 102 overall: Alex Highsmith, DE, Charlotte

My take: The Steelers already locked OLB Bud Dupree in for the 2020 season with a franchise tag, but by adding Highsmith, they're showing a focus on building depth and building for the future. Thought Dupree signed his franchise tender, there's no guarantee that he signs a long-term deal in Pittsburgh. Highsmith expects to be a special teams contributor this year while he develops behind Dupree and T.J. Watt. Both GM Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin were impressed by his physicality and competitiveness. Colbert also said that they expect him to be a force "down the road" -- but he won't get "a redshirt season." With the depth of the position, though, they have the luxury of allowing him to grow in the position and transition from a small school to the NFL.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburg...eelers-2020-nfl-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

18. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    ALEX HIGHSMITHDL, UNC CHARLOTTE 49ERS
    Steelers selected Charlotte DE Alex Highsmith with the No. 102 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
    Highsmith (6'3/248) garnered back-to-back first-team All-CUSA honors with 60 tackles and 17.5 tackles for loss in his last two seasons at Charlotte. After lining up opposite the conference's left and right tackles as a redshirt junior, Highsmith's new coaching staff made it a priority to move him further outside as a true EDGE, allowing him to bully tight ends and finish with the second-most sacks (14) in FBS play. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney called Highsmith “the best player we have seen.” He's admittedly facing an uphill battle as an undersized 23-year-old rookie transitioning from CUSA to NFL competition, but Highsmith's “self-made" work ethic is enough to bet on his repertoire developing in a short amount of time spent in the league.

Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh believes that Charlotte EDGE Alex Highsmith is a top-100-caliber prospect.
    "On every play, you see Highsmith’s motor run extremely hot," Farabaugh writes of the 6-foot-3, 248-pounder, adding that the Charlotte defender possesses a "useful toolbox of counters and moves," He is not alone in waxing poetic on Highsmith's toolbox of moves, as NFL Media's Lance Zierlein is likewise impressed by the creativity in how Highsmith approaches the game. For his part, Zierlein would like to see added strength, but both analysts are in lockstep in their belief that a starting role in the NFL could be in the cards for Highsmith down the road.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein writes that Charlotte EDGE Alex Highsmith has "clearly put in work when it comes to creating a diverse inside/outside rush attack."
    Zierlein is keen on Highsmith's activity, approach and instincts off the snap. The analyst's real issue with the 6-foot-3, 248-pounder's evaluation comes in terms of his physicality. Or lack thereof. Writes the analyst, "His play is more finesse than physical and may not be ready for early downs in the NFL." That said, Zierlein believes that Highsmith could develop beyond a mere backup in the pros if he can improve his strength after entering the pro ranks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t see him get pushed off the ball much. I saw him play contain on a lot of run plays and correctly let the play go inside of him while he maintained outside leverage. I do agree on him being slow in pursuit, maybe even loafing a bit when the play went away from him.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Smitch89.

First, I hope all is well with you and your love ones.

Give the guy a chance. Every draft we go through this. He did what he was suppose to do at his school. He was very, very productive. We cannot draft every player for every round from the SEC. The guy looks tough. He was drafted in the third round. Not the first or second. Lets see what he can produce. I highly doubt he was there in the fifth. Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, James Harrison, and others came from similar backgrounds. They have to come from somewhere to fill the roster. Once again they are not all going to come from the "Top" Collegiate Conferences.

Notables:
    • He had 15 sacks his senior season.
    • He had 22 tackles for a loss in 2019.
    • He was an Associated Press All-American, the first one from Charlotte.
    • Chuck Bednarik Award (Defensive Player of the Year).
    • 6-4, 242 Perfect size for his position.
    Point is he did very well for where he came from. He did what was exactly expected of him. He dominated. I do not see this as a reach for a third rounder. Now, I do expect a third rounder to produce. It is when you get into the fourth round that I am not sure what to expect. For Mr. Highsmith, I do anticipate contributions sooner than later. My guess is that he is being looked at as a situational pass-rusher right now with the possibility of replacing Dupree if things do not work out with him after this season. Honestly, I still have question marks about Dupree.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco1981.

Long time no chat. I hope all is well with you and your love ones.

I will stick with Highsmith here. I really like this pick. Of course there are going to be a few that are never satisfied. I responded to a poster that was not happy with the pick. I am not picking on that poster, just my opinion here. I really have a good feeling about him. In all honesty, a better feeling than with Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. Time will tell. Below, I have re-posted his highlights which to me say good pick for a third rounder. I realize he does not come from a top conference. However, as I stated before, we can not get everyone from Alabama or Ohio State. We did get two very good linebackers from Kent State as one may recall (Lambert and Harrison). Folks have to realize that even when you even get to the end of the First Round the expectations and talent levels start to drop off versus the first half of that round.

Highsmith Notables:
    • He had 15 sacks his senior season.
    • He had 22 tackles for a loss in 2019.
    • He was an Associated Press All-American, the first one from Charlotte.
    • Chuck Bednarik Award (Defensive Player of the Year).
    • 6-4, 242 Perfect size for his position.
    These are all very impressive. He did exactly what he was suppose to do during his Collegiate career at a "smaller" school. For me, a third round pick is an honor. He now has to show that he was worthwhile of being drafted that high, IMO. I have decent expectations for a third rounder. As with each round, expectations are commensurate with the draft position. I expect positive and successful things from rounds 1-3 selections. Once past that, my expectations do start to subside. I do not totally discount fourth rounders and beyond but the bar just is not raised as high. They know this and maybe it motivates them to a degree.

Hey look at Ben. From what I recall, he felt somewhat slighted when he got picked at #11 in the First Round. All I am saying is never underestimate the human psyche and its ability to motivate.

23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks Winds, Hope all is well with you and your loved ones my man...The draft is always one of my favorite events...Me and my one brother go out to my man cave, doggies, good grub, with our books and notes, and of course our beloved message board...And watch intently as we compare OUR picks, and usually ***** on who we COULD have had...

I loved this draft, That 1st pick knocked me for a loop, until I dug deeper...Really liked it, and continued to like EVERY pick...Best I personally ever liked a draft...Without a 1st rounder we got very productive players, at positions of need, and added lots of speed and athleticism...

Armed with only 6 picks, I think we hit a HR...I thought Baltimore also had a great draft ( but they should have with 12 picks ) They're gonna be hard to beat...Then there's always that one team I yell at the screen for stealing MY guys...This year believe it or not was Dallas, They took 3 guys in front of us I liked... Gallimore, Biadasz, and Anae ...They had a great draft...Imo and my war room lol

Think we added great pieces in free agency and the draft, Now let's heal, get through this Pandemic, and kick some Ass!

24. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    You said it!!! We got creamed for drafting him then!! Everyone was saying WOW what a reach!!! LOOK AT HIM NOW!!

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I agree with your quote: "not!". Yes, at one point we were the "Standard" for drafting OLBs. In the last decade or so we have been mediocre at best. I am still not sold on Dupree. Between him and Jarvis Jones we have lost almost a decade of time trying to find the other "Bookend" OLB. Jones plain out stunk. When I first saw a photo of him I said to myself: "Now, where is the rest of him?"

I am hoping Highsmith pans out and sooner than later. I still believe that Dupree is the beneficiary of the free agents that we have added to our team the past two years. He wasted four years of our time to have what some consider a "breakout" season last year. I do not call last year a breakout by any stretch. It was adequate at best. He still has not come as advertised IMO. For now he will suffice. Him and TJ are good together and for now will get the job done. Bud put us in a pickle with not producing until his last contractual year. I hope the same does not happen with Edmunds at Safety and that he will deliver this season.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1