1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Anthony McFarland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    dude looks like a home run threat. much better than any back already on the team by far

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Great speed, but stuff I've read says lack of vision and a liability in pass protection. Would rather have seen O line

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He certainly looked explosive against Ohio State. He had 298 yards, including two long touchdown runs, against one of the best teams in the country.

I would have preferred offensive line help with that pick as well, but I've read mixed things about his ability in pass protection. Some say he isn't good there and others say he has held up just fine.

4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He's slower than Claypool. Not very big either. He's not going to be blocking anyone. I dunno. I'm with bleednblackngold I'd rather have seen an O lineman

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    OL would have been a great choice as well, but we need a real home run threat at RB. with conner fumbling and being hurt all the time and Benny being more of a bruiser it's nice to get a back like this.

6. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    McFarland definitely looks faster in game than the WR we got. which is fine because the WR is a beast as well

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I see them making him our return man based on the scouting analysis the NFL has posted.

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just think he looks faster because has shorter bulkier legs than the 6'4" dude with long strides.

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    They are both fast. Claypool runs a 4.42 and McFarland runs a 4.44. Of course what makes Claypool special is he runs that fast at 6'4" and 238 lbs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He looks like a player we already have named Jaylen Samuels. I'm tired of all these DMV players because of Tomlin. Nobody from the DMV is good at football. Go coach the Skins already if you want these bums on your team.

But he plays for the Terps where Tomlins son goes so yay!!!!

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He was fun to watch at the college level. We'll have to see how well his game transfers to the pros.

12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Round 4, No. 124 overall: Anthony McFarland Jr., RB, Maryland

My take: The Steelers opted against taking a running back on the second night of the draft, despite some big names being available. Instead, they address the position on the third day with McFarland Jr., a teammate of Mike Tomlin's son, Dino, at Maryland. The Steelers have been vocal about their confidence in Conner as a starting running back, despite his injuries, and drafting McFarland solidifies that stance. In McFarland, the Steelers are getting a guy who will push Benny Snell Jr. and Jaylen Samuels for snaps as a backup, but not be a featured back. He's a smaller back at 5-9, 198-pounds, and his production took a dip from a 1,000 yard season as a redshirt freshman to just 614 yards his sophomore year. With quality interior linemen still available at this pick, it's surprising the Steelers went this route.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburg...eelers-2020-nfl-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My first thought when I saw the pick was Dri Archer 2.0

14. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    this guy reminds me nothing of Dri Archer or Samuels. I think this pick will prove to be a good value

15. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Remember Matt Canada was the interim HC at Maryland two years ago....

If they thought McFarland was a problem, they would have never drafted him.

I like the pick. He's a perfect RB for a zone blocking team, IMO. I don't think he's another Dri Archer, he's a solid RB.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Holy crap this dude is fast.

Fast Willie the sequel!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I was thinking it was the other Anthony McFarland, Booger.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The Skins already have a coach.

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some say he has bad vision and others say he has good vision :icon e geek:

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Some say tomato some say tomoto.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I trust the information the Steelers got from his former coach more than some anonymous scout. Maybe the kid needs to grow up a little, but they clearly seem to think it's nothing they can't handle.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah we've never had players with attitude problems before...

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not the player per se, the situation.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    After Bell and Brown, I don't know what we can handle.

25. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As someone who watches Terps games pretty closely, I figure my opinion might be worth something (note that I went on record being pretty lukewarm on Sean Davis when he was drafted in the second round)

-Ant Mac was an absolute beast in 2018, and singlehandedly put the Terps in a spot to upset #10 OSU if not for a disaster of a QB (more on that below) who missed a wide open WR for a 2pt conversion for the win in OT. In 2019, he was a little quieter, though the team broadly was terrible and there was almost 0 running room for anyone when playing legit competition.

-UMD's QB and Oline play has been abysmal. Among the worst in D1, and going up against the likes of OSU, MSU, Michigan, PSU makes it a physical beatdown for any RB playing for the Terps. Teams for the past 5-6 years have LOADED up the box and there has been next to 0 running space for any RB. I can't stress enough how terrible the QB play has been (check some stats if you want to feel better about Duck/Rudolph).

-I've literally never heard about character concerns for McFarland, and there are plenty of guys in the RB room this year who had character concerns (one guy shot another student with a BB gun on campus, another was suspended for a DWI at 4AM the Thursday night before a game). If there were any "commitment" issues, the team broadly was getting drubbed physically due to a porous Oline and absolutely no threat of a passing game. Quitting in games was an issue that started at the top and honestly saw no evidence of AntMac being particularly "bad character" in this regard. If anything, he put his body out there on the line late in blowout games without poor body language etc. Don't see him as Bell or AB 2.0 at ALL

4th round feels right. And who knows, he could be Stefon Diggs 2.0

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2