1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    no doubt, one of the biggest hits we took was the loss of Jesse James. he was the go to guy or safety valve. we have receivers, we need someone to dump the ball to within 2-3 seconds. no LB can cover this guy. look at the earlier posts, someone put up a twitter from Claypool saying blocking is fun too. he smashed a guy off the line. he has all the makings for a great TE. this guy can be a Gronk with speed.

2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    people are whining about Dobbins because of ESPN and Mel Kiper Jr. they hype players and convince people who should be taken. if you drill down on Dobbins, you have to look at who he played for and how good his line was. OSU plays some weak teams for most of the year. they also said he has butter fingers at times and that just does not work in the NFL. he’s a good serviceable back but he was not going to change things here.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, and they still have Harbaugh.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think so too. I've watched him a lot at ND and he is very impressive.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, this AM I watched about 5 or 6 full games for Claypool on YouTube, including a few with All 22 angles. I think it’s mostly good, but there are a couple of weaknesses that need to be addressed IMO.

1. Despite his size, strength and speed, he struggles to separate from press coverage. I don’t get how a guy with his physical advantage at the line of scrimmage can get consistently rerouted and delayed off the line by CBs who he outweighs by 30+ lbs. His hand usage and leverage off the line of scrimmage need to be a key coaching focus. Check out his tape vs. Georgia to see this on several plays.

2. He seems to really struggle to track and high point jump balls deep down the field, which is odd because he’s really good at winning jump balls in the red zone. To see this in action, check out the Va Tech game. There are two plays in particular that both resulted in interceptions. The first was at the goal line on an under thrown post pattern. On that one, I think a guy with better body control like Mims at least contests the int and forces the incompletion instead of the int. Later in that game he was flat out beaten badly on a jump ball by a shorter, lighter CB on an under thrown go route down the left side. I saw this type of inability to win the downfield 50/50 ball in a couple of other games as well.

That’s not to say I think it was a bad pick. He does a lot of things well, especially against off man and zone coverage, but he needs work. I especially like his ability to run outs and make catches against the sidelines. I also like how he was used on shallow crosses by ND. A linebacker is not going to keep up with him, and a nickel corner is not going to body up on him. When he catches the ball on those shallow crosses with a head of steam, he’s a load to handle. I also like his ability on fades and back shoulder throws in the red zone. No doubt he will be a weapon in the red zone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not only did the ravens get dobbins ... theyre actually taunting us ... for looking pass him ... lol

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Really? Really?? Now, you take a rb?! ... smh ... our gm and coach ... should be drug tested

8. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess my favorite part is where he is only the 2nd receiver of that size to run a sub 4.45 since 2003...... The other being Calvin Johnson..... .

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That fits with everything I have seen and read, too. That makes me think he either can't make quick moves to shake defenders or he needs to get better at running routes. I hope it is the latter, because that is something you can work on and many of the reports are that he is raw. Even if he isn't getting great separation, he is a threat down the field and in the red zone and apparently he's going to be a big help on special teams as he develops as a receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy threw 36 touchdown passes and only six interceptions last season. He's not just a running quarterback. He got a lot better as last season went on, too. He's going to have to transition to staying in the pocket more and running less at some point, but right now he's a dominant player in one of the best offenses in the league. They also have a top five defense that got better with the trade for Campbell. Ouch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. He's an outstanding blocker as wide receivers go, but he's not the guy you want taking on defensive linemen to set the edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Round 2, No. 49 overall: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

My take: Though he's listed as a wide receiver, Claypool has the body of a tight end at 6-foot-4, 238 pounds. His addition gives quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a third receiving target of at least 6-4, joining tight ends Eric Ebron and Vance McDonald. The Steelers are also plenty familiar with tall receiver targets and, according to ESPN Stats & Information research, had success with both Martavis Bryant (a 2014 draft pick) and Plaxico Burress (a 2000 draft pick). Not only is Claypool a big target, he also ran a sub-4.45-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. In going with Claypool over available running backs J.K. Dobbins and Cam Akers, the Steelers prioritized Roethlisberger's receiving weapons and seemingly gave another vote of confidence to running back James Conner, who -- as general manager Kevin Colbert reiterated recently -- overcame a number of "acute" injuries.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburg...eelers-2020-nfl-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He needs to get tougher, small dudes have held him up at the line. Once he does that, he’ll be a force to reckon with.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Man I hope he is 100x better than Vincent Jackson.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Beat me to it.

Personally, I believe he has more potential than Vincent did coming out in terms of polish. It took Vincent a while to get going there. Chase is ahead of the curve in that regard.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Huh?!

Outside of A.J. Terrell, I did not notice many other smaller guys go toe to toe against Chase. Perhaps I need to watch the tape again because, outside that Clemson game, he did not look overpowered or outmatched to me. Now... for another certain WR who got beaten up pretty good by Greedy Williams.... :lolol:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Or watch more games :lolol:

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

Fair enough. Will do.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Because a 12 year NFL career, 3 Pro Bowls and 6x 1000 yard season might not be good enough.:lolol:

But yes, if his career exceeds Jackson's, that will be a big win for us

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol, just joking with you man. He’s pretty average at press though, Steelers will work him through it.

I love the pick though. I always love when ND players end up on the team :herewego:

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My disdain for Charger players is showing. Maybe if he had a QB like Ben he would be headed to the hof.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh... you mean technique against press?! I thought you meant in terms of power and strength at the press itself. Agreed then 100%. Claypool needs to work on that. Otherwise, he will not advance much in the league.

Once he does though... we are looking at a player with Pro Bowl potential.

• Like Like x 1
  23. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Remind me how far they got in the playoffs.In January defenses always catch up to that. Maybe he proves differently.jmo

24. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I think they like the Claypool pick!

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They are both Notre Dame broadcasters, so that video is coming from an incredibly biased point of view. Burmeister is the play-by-play guy for Notre Dame's radio broadcasts. Simms is a pregame and sideline analyst for NBC's broadcasts of Notre Dame games. Sure, they have seen a lot of Claypool, but those aren't the people I would go to for an unbiased view.