1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

James Washington will have one more season on his rookie deal by the time 2021 rolls around. They can decide then what to do with him. The same cannot be said for JuJu as he has the unfortunate situation to be lumped in with T.J. Watt.

T.J. is going to reset the EDGE market in a big way. Von Miller has $70 Million fully guaranteed as a starting point. Why am I saying starting point?! Assuming T.J. wins DPOY, Aaron Donald is the next figure to look at as he has $87 Million fully guaranteed. Should T.J. do that, given how big the NFL Salary Cap is projected to go up in 2021.....

... Do not be surprised if T.J. commands between $95 to $100 Million in fully guaranteed money. He already has Pittsburgh at his mercy to begin with thanks to his tremendous play. A Defensive Player of the Year season will push his contract into a territory in which no other Defensive Player in NFL History would have thought of being in! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You might be right!! :eek:

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Would be cool to hear riffs from Jerry was a Race Car Driver and Tommy the Cat when Claypool scores a TD over Heinz Field PA system. If Claypool prospers at WR, Primus royalty payments will go through the roof.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yea not sure what happened to my phone there.. I wasn't trying to be funny, which is opposite of the norm lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would say it has more to do with the FO's view than the lack of talent at WR. I think the current group of WRs are great but the chance to add someone like Claypool was too good to ignore. I've said it before, the WR class was deep...but only deep in the first two rounds... You could get a 1st round talent in the second. A deep draft can go both ways, very top heavy or solid throughout. I thought it was the former for this class.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That would be awesome. I’d just use Primus for all stadium music. Playing The Air is Getting Slippery could unsettle the opposition no end...

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Well thats stuck in my head now lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Welcome Chase.... being the spouse of a ND grad... I’ve seen more than my share of ND games. I always thought he’d look good in a steelers jersey, plays hard, big and strong. I’m far from an expert, but I thought he was more of a late 3rd rounder..... then again I think he went early 3rd in our mock draft in the bill nunn draft room.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't rule out the Bengals. If and it's a big if they don't screw it up they should have a top tier QB for years to come.

10. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Claypool is a going away present for Ben. He always wanted an up-sized WO. Now he has Claypool (6'4")
    to line up with TEs Ebron (6'4"), McDonald (6'4"), and three dwarves - Washington (5'11"), Juju (6'1"), and
    Diontae (5'10"). No more dwarves need apply - J.K. Dobbins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He should work out with AB :lolol:

12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Hey, this board, like all sports boards, is full of Dave Parkers, "A legend in their own minds."

13. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Ravens have a running quarterback. They only get you so far..Many examples prove this point.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    oh heck yeah I grabbed him with the 2nd pick in the 3rd for Washington... Redskins didn't have many picks or I would have gotten him sooner. I beat press coverage and then highpointed the ball to score 6 on that play....

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Well... guess that Highsmith is just Anthony Chickillo's replacement then?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    One way or the other, we needed more OLB. The other part of this, keeping Bud or Juju, was made clear last night. That's why Claypool was drafted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Intention is a strong word and a motivator....After they count the pennies from the sofa on the TJ Watt deal, they will have every intention of signing Dupree, just at a much lower salary.

18. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I definitely wanted J.K. Dobbins with this pick but the Steers decided to stay loyal to decent often broken down RB that can't stay on the field. I sure hope Benny Snell works his way into the starting role so Conner can stay healthy and help where needed. As for this pick, the CBS Draft Tracker, he has "Freaky size and combine but doesn't play to his speed. Will struggle to separate". Time will tell how this works out because the Steelers now have to face Dobbins twice a year.

19. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    this guy could be a dominant tight end. they’ll put 10 lbs on him and have a 4.4 TE standing 6’4”.

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He's not going to be a TE. He will play WR.

Think Vincent Jackson.

21. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    maybe, but he would be a great fit as a pass catching TE. his size and speed will make it hard for linebackers to cover him. think Vernon Davis.

22. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Dobbins won’t be any better than Ingram. they will all be blocking for Jackson.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This pick will spell the end of Smith-Schuster after this season. So now Juju has a prove it year to get a nice fat contract elsewhere.

I believe that Johnson will be the #1. Now they have a corral of weapons for Ben.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    With his ability and Canada adding wrinkles to the offense, I bet they give Claypool some routes from the TE position occasionally.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I see where the FO is going here and I love the pick! He's a 6.4 HInes Ward, but faster!

For all of you that have come off the ledge, but are on suicide watch because they passed on Dobbins.
    This big kid is as fast as him and the top running backs in the league. Put that into perspective.
    And unlike them, he can Catch! He's a TD maker and "that guy" the other team hates.

Heart and Soul of the Irish and their go to guy in he Red Zone particularity when in trouble.

• Like Like x 1