1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He's not slow. He ran a 4.42 40 at the combine. Only one other receiver his size ran that and it was calvin johnson. I would have preferred a running back but I'm pretty happy with this pick. I think it's Ju Ju's last year with the steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well the news get even worse. The ravens just picked up dobbins

3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Pre-Draft Analysis

Claypool is just the second wideout to measure 6-foot-4, 235 pounds or bigger and run a sub-4.45 in the 40-yard dash at the combine since 2003. The other is Calvin Johnson. Claypool is a long strider with good build-up speed. He has the wide frame to make contested catches, and he wins a high percentage of jump balls. He struggles to get in and out of breaks. He led his team in kickoff coverage and punt coverage tackles in 2017. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis

JuJu Smith-Schuster dealt with foot and knee injuries last season; he's in a contract year and might be too expensive to retain. Diontae Johnson, the Steelers' 2019 third-round pick, led the team in catches while James Washington paced the squad with 735 receiving yards, but they aren't No. 1 receivers. Claypool has rare upside; his ability to stretch the field should open up the passing attack and the ground game. -- Steve Muench

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    the ravens are going to be the class of the division for years down the road. We may as well get used to it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    On a positive note....his name sounds like my favorite bass player of all time:. Les Claypool.

I'm an amateur bassist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Claypool should request #87 from one Canadian in Pittsburgh to another.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

me too :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    i love the pick...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Going to be a good weapon for them :applaud:

11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    we could be alone here!

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The next Heeeeeeeath

13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Awesome pick. I knew nothing about this guy but just looked at some highlights. Seems like monster upside.

Lets be real here. The steelers front office deserves every consideration and break there is when it comes to drafting WR's. They kinda do a good job at it.

14. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    D Johnson and Claypool will be a good 1 and 2. Juju can be the third guy till some team over pays him after his rookie deal

15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Primus sucks!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hearts / Steelers

Hearts / Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2018
    And me, well, via Scotland.
    Good enough for Ben = good enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If this is the case then why didn't the likes of JuJu Smith Schuster or James Washington create big plays when they had to?! For that matter, if Pittsburgh is good at Wide Receiver, wouldn't it have made sense to extend JuJu the same?!

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is all the proof I needed that we should have traded up for Metcalf and DJ wasn't the X WR they thought he would be.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    WR was arguably the deepest position on the team. While I like the kid, he's borderline top 10 at WR in this draft. Dobbins was sitting there, as was Baun, along with other good players at OL. I hate the pick, which isn't surprising in the least. So glad we traded for Minkah. It's much easier that way.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You need to get your older QB a weapon. This is a good guy to have inside the 20. Size and speed.
    You hate to see Dobbins go to the Rats, but is what it is.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    is Baun gona fall to 101?

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They move JuJu around but he’s done his best work from the slot. Claypool, for a big dude needs to work on getting off press coverage but once he does, line him up outside and let JuJu go back to working the slot.

Claypool gives them a legit deep threat since Bryant. Hasn’t been anyone that can take the top of the defense off like he did until now.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Did not believe he fell. Really I could not. Truly thought he would be gone in the top half of the Second Round @nor. This dude is not just a freak but a mutil role one as well. He not only helps the Steelers for this year but also for the future; something that, for whatever reason and yet again, is being completely lost in translation.

A good example?! Do people REALLY think JuJu is going to be a Steeler for life?! I do not but not because I want him gone. JuJu is likely headed out of here due to the Wide Receiver market being reset by Micheal Thomas. People tend to forget the original purpose of Free Agency in the sense that being a Free Agent means that one possess the ability to gauge their own market into.... whatever value they please! Add in the fact that JuJu will only be 24 next season and someone WILL unload the bank for him without question.

Add in T.J. Watt getting ready to reset the market for pass rushers in addition to signing Bud Dupree long term and there is only so much money to go around. As much as I will miss him, I really do not forsee JuJu on the team for much longer as I believe this is it for him. Again, Chase Claypool is SO MUCH MORE than just another weapon for Ben. Chase represents, yet again, the team attacking their needs two fold; present and future. He also acts as a fail safe should anything happen to James Washington this season in terms of injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    how was it the deepest? Ben has never shown that he clicked with James Washington and JuJu's contract is up next year. The same year we have to pay TJ Watt with limited cap space let alone the other players like Hilton and Sutton. Dobbins is a stud no doubt, but I don't view the WR room as deep..Deon Cain has upside but is still an unknown, the same can be said for Kerryth White. Steelers must view WR more valuable than RB I'm guessing??

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No, don't get me wrong. He's a good pick but I just feel that we couldve gotten him in the 3rd rd and let dobbins slip through our fingers