1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree Dobbins is good and his last game imo proved the kind of player he was playing through the pain and all. If we were able to get him and he ended up our starter thenI would be good with that. The problem is would he get the chance, that is the question I have. If I knew he was being drafted to be out #1 asap then yes I am all in but we have a crowed house right now and MT isn't sitting Conner, jmo.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Everything that is written about the draft is speculation and fairly meaningless.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I can't get on the Snell bandwagon myself, a good back to come in for a few yards 3-5 times a game, not a lead back or injury replacement for glass Conner.

4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mel Kiper...:roflmao:
    draft expert...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I agree.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t have it but read an article that he is working hard and was talking about his diet as one of the big changes. He came across as determined to be great and do whatever the coaching staff asks of him. Seems like he has a good work ethic to me. Working on being a complete back, rushing, receiving and blocking. He specified the receiving which is big if he adds that to his game.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3-5 times a game, just cut him then, dude :lolol:

You’ll see grasshopper, you’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Disco brought up a good point, though, that all of that became much more difficult for Snell due to the pandemic. He's just not getting the same support he would have otherwise.

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    injury replacement for glass Conner.

Good name for him.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I know you like Snell Blast & I was surprised by Bell's leap in year two.

The hard part is seeing him being the featured back. Conner is better until he gets hurt. Snell needs to outplay him w/o an injury opportunity to see the field.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    what better way to avoid all the distractions and go do your workout? They ain't at the clubs....probably bored as heck and just itching to go do something physical. Just need a HS field to run and do agility drills. Don't need some lavish facility. I would say this offseason will be more like Siberia than others. Snell broke a lot of records rushing at Kentucky, he doesn't seem like the type to just sit there and play Madden. I'm sure he and JC30 are in constant contact pushing each other along with Faulkner keeping tabs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, but rookies will be more impacted than any other players. No rookie mini camp. No OTAs. No mini camp. Possibly an abbreviated camp. A rookie RB coming in who does not already have a well rounded NFL RB skill set will have a really hard time helping out for much of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yup... This will be a difficult season for any rookie to make an immediate impact.

13. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    hard to rate the offensive play from anyone bc of the qb situation last season.
    with some st3ady qb play, could and will benifit everyone playing and will be able to see who evolves. hope they draft acouple oline guys to freshin things up

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Just like everyone else?

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is true, but he is the one people keep talking about some big physical change. We aren't hearing that about everyone else. People seem to assume that just because Bell did it, Snell can do it.

16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    In relation to Benny undertaking a physical transformation I would hope that he has access to some of the best strength and conditioning advice available, and presumably he has nothing else to do at the moment. If he wants to get leaner and stronger there really is no excuse not to be able to do so. The Covid19 situation is not ideal, I absolutely understand that, but a well paid professional athlete should be able to access what they need, training and mentoring can all be delivered online and huge improvements can be made using relatively basic equipment if you train and eat smart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Year 2 jump isn’t some mythical belief. Happens a lot and I saw enough from Snell to believe he will too.

I can see the comparisons to Bell but really doesn’t have anything to do with him and more to do with understanding the game and adjustments needed to be successful at the next level. Game slows down from year one to year two.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    IDK, guess we will see. I saw a more confident and quicker Snell at the end of the season. He had a couple of down games, but YPC actually was not that bad (3.9) with the line in disarray and facing a stacked D. I also think he gets stronger as the game goes on. I know the days of 30 carry grind em out RB are gone, but still a guy who can get those 1st downs pounding the rock in the late 3rd and 4th will keep the opposing D on the field, and give ours that much needed rest (our D was on the field way to many snaps last year).

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said the year two jump was a mythical belief or anything of the kind. It is absolutely real. I'm just saying a lot of the talk with Snell was this idea that he could change his body and become much quicker. That was always a big assumption and even less likely to happen now under the current circumstances.

Here is what I wrote Sunday, which acknowledges all of the arguments that he could improve.

I don't know how much we really have to go on with Snell. Maybe he is able to do something similar to what Bell did in terms of changing his body through conditioning. Maybe he will be quicker in his second season. Maybe he will make more decisive cuts and anticipate things better now that he has a full season of experience running against NFL defenses. Neither of those are sure things.
    If what we saw last year is what we're going to get from Snell, I would think we can all agree that is not a No. 1 back.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that, I don’t agree with your evaluation. He looked good to me. Like the article pointed out, defenses were showing total disregard for the passing game and he still did well.

I don’t believe a RB needs to have HR speed to be a successful lead back. IMO, that’s the biggest thing he lacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think HR speed is an issue, either. I'll take a Jerome Bettis over a Willie Parker any day. Bell wasn't really a home-run hitter, either, even at his best. Bettis did have great feet and an ability to make subtle moves just ahead of contact that would keep the defender from making solid contact. Good luck taking down somebody like that if you can't get a good hit on him. Bell was able to do that, too, and he was explosive to and through the hole. He just had amazing acceleration once he made a cut. Snell doesn't have the quick feet or acceleration of those guys. Then again, not many backs do.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know if the game slows down between year one and year two or if the player realizes he needs to pick up his 'speed' (from every aspect) if he's going to be a factor in the league. Semantics I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

That is the thing right there many people feel like he don't have that HR speed so he can't be successful. So many want to pin the success of a player on the 40 time, but what really is the tell of it all is his explosiveness. I am not sure any of us has gotten a chance to see that yet mostly due to what you pointed out in the lack of a passing game. Let's get Ben back and see how Benny hits them holes, many here not to long ago was killing Bell because of his lack of 'long" runs.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    When someone makes a jump like Bell did year two, it isn't just the athlete improving. It's a perfect storm of system and supporting cast meshing with the athlete. Even AB was a cog in the wheel. If he hadn't froze his feet or had helmet issues, he wouldn't have lit it up in Oakland. He wouldn't have been the #1 receiver in football even with Brady throwing to him. Ben made him as much as he made Ben. They elevated each other.

Getting back to Snell...until he gets the opportunity and demonstrates that he can't handle it, then he can still be the bell cow. But he needs the supporting cast around him like every other great RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Not arguing with you Blast but I think Snell's biggest obstacle is he will rarely be the best back on a team. Maybe he can prove me wrong Bumblebee.