1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

scheme or personnel DEF IS NOT LOOKING....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Sack_attackD, Sep 23, 2012.

1. fdresq4

fdresq4 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Re: Defense is mediocre at best!

Me and a buddy of mine were talking about this prior to the start of the season. We wondered how long it would be before Troy would be out on injury.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yep every D player sucks...are busts...etc. For crying out loud.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

and who took the replacements and keep give them a shirt ?

4. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Punt on 3rd down? You're right, that might have won them the game.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

When you allow the 32nd ranked team in the NFL to put up 34 points on you. When you allow a team that had less than 70yds of rushing coming in to this game to take one to the house on you. When you are committing illegal contact, regardless if it's called or not, and still getting owned. Yes. You are mediocre at best. Now I can't wait for all of our "arm chair" analysts to start blasting away and making excuses. The fact, the FACT, is that we are not a good defense. Troy and James can not play corner on both sides of the field. Mundy and Lewis are not even worthy to start in Cleveland and they are starting for us. We have not taken a good defensive player in the draft since 07. I don't care how good we THOUGHT they were gonna be. The guys that we have taken on D have not played even up to mediocre. Go ahead and blast away. But if you think this is a good D compared to the D that we are used to then more power to you but you are smoking something.

6. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Re: Defensive Line

It starts with the line. We have what...4 sacks this year? On pace for 21?

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Re: Defensive Line

Agreed. If we're gonna suck let's do it with McClendon. We at least need to know what he is made of. Casey Hampton came back too quick. That utterly reTARDED play by Keisel is a killer. That led to 7. With our d as sucky as they are we can NOT afford to give up a SINGLE POINT! I also agree with another post about Heyward. He aint done diddly. Hood is worthless. I was thinking during the game that there used to be a guy on here whose quote was "ziggy hood gets owned nearly every play" and man I was thinking how true that is. As far as us talking about all the injuries we are dealing with I don't wanna hear it. They have no corners whatsoever and they are dealing with injuries too. Now lets all go and drink some of Tomlin's "the standard" kool-aid. This team needs more than platitudes.

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Re: Postgame Defensive Complaint Thread

I don't know what game you guys are watching...But Casey is the best player on the Dline so far this year from where I am sitting.

HACK

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

How many snaps did McLendon see? Does anyone know yet? Without having rewatched it yet, it seemed like he was in very little tonight.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I agree....And Mclendon has been the 2nd. best IMO.....Time to get these 2 in a package together IMO...Scrap the Defensive playbook and put the best 11 on the field...

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011

Casey isn't penetrating. I've always liked him but I just don't think he's full healthy. I appreciate the heart but we need our VERY best out there as bad as we are.

12. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

Yep. I was at that game today. daryl Washington is an absolute beast at ILB. And William Gay is actually playing pretty well.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

I felt like I was watching the Denver game all over again. Quick turnover from the D early in the game...then they sort of shut down. Here are some basic observations:

1. Foote so badly over ran that run by McFadden it was frustrating. Where was he going? Not having Farrior in there is hurting as much as anything else. Losing Spence and Sylvester for right now, doesn't help either cause you pretty much need to play Foote one way or another.

2. Ben's numbers are incredible and he is playing great. NO ONE can say he isn't an awesome QB. That being said, if we don't get a running game soon....good teams like the Eagles and Ravens will get to Ben and kill him.

3. The penalties really hurt today. That is not to say that they would have changed the outcome greatly, but the "non-hold" on Ike (our fastest DB) on a long TD run and the penalties on A. Brown's PR for a TD....they really hurt.

4. Special teams is below the line right now. I don't know what got our other guy fired, maybe this is still trying to be corrected, but right now the returns are really hurting us. You can't give the opponent the ball with only 48 yards to go in order to get points. Yeah, you might hold them to a FG, but with Oakland you are basically 1 first down from being in FG range. Not a large margin for error right there.

5. It frustrates me as a Steeler fan to see games like this. 2 fumble TOs in great field position? Only 1 sack? Bad special teams play.

6. Lastly, the D has to make 1 stop in a half of football. 1 stop, just 1 stop. That is what we needed. We never got it. Don't tell me it is about age either. I am thinking we may need to blow up the D with some UFA signings and a HIGH impact draft.

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

First off I think our linebackers are too bulky and muscle bound. Cut some weight and gain some speed. They can't get to the QB quick enough, and they can't drop into coverage well enough. I did see Timmons make a nice shoe string tackle, but our LB's need more speed.

I think the biggest thing outside of no Troy and Harrison.... is we are seeing the difference between Larry Foote and James Farrior. We miss potsy

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

We lose Hampton and we lose one of the best in the game, still today. He is "it" on that line and McClendon looks promising.

Casey is not the problem. Harrison and Troy being out are. We have always been D that has an above average cover, when troy is in, and we are getting constant pressure on the QB via JH, LW, and Troy. When some or all of those moving parts are removed we fall below the line, and become average.

Thank all that is holy we still have Casey and hope we can keep him in there going forward this year.

16. SteelerHead

SteelerHead Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012

Well s%@t sherlock...never thought I'd be pullin' for Tom Brady and bunch...but tonight...against Baltimore...Go Patriots.

17. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I think I'm in shock of this defense. I wouldn't know where to start. I know alot of guys think Harrison and polomulu would of made a difference but Harrison will not make a difference until he at least gets a few games under his belt. 43 will help but we are in for a long year.

18. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I couldn't agree more. DL seems to stick to his "no big play" umbrella defense way too long. Rushing 3 OL and 2 linebackers doesn't get to the QB, and preventing the big play makes it too easy to throw the 6 - 10 yard passes in front of the secondary. Particularly without Troy, there are few blitzes that confuse anyone anymore. And the base D is not able to get to the QB - not sure the 3 - 4 is even designed to do this without the occasional blitz thrown in. I think DL is playing scared without his playmakers, and maybe he is justified - there is just not enough talent on D. Sad for a franchise whose identity has been their D.

19. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Who out there is aging? 23-27 is not old. Foote is the oldest and hes playing better than the others. Its not players or talent, its coaching. Lamarr is 27, Timmons 26, and they are just...on the field.

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Is Cortez Allen not a corner? He blitzed a few times I think in todays game...as has in the past. Clark has been in there and blitzed too I believe...I think Lewis has too. It must not be noticeable if its not Troy and you can see his hair and know its him or something, haha. But they are blitzing DBs...maybe not as much as before I dont know.

21. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We have gone from a first class defense dynasty to what we have now and in only a few years. Their needs to be some house cleaning done and it needs to start now.

22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Some of us have seen this coming since 2008, and it only gets more worrisome with each season.

"No! You're stupid head! They're ranked #1 (or at least top ten)"

It warmed my heart to hear Jon Gruden last week echo something I've always said (slight paraphrasing as his exact words I'm bound to mess up):

"I'm tired of hearing what this defense or that defense is ranked. Ranked in total yards. Ranked in points allowed. You know what a great defense is? A great defense GETS OFF THE FIELD. They FORCE 3 and outs. They FORCE turnovers. They pressure the QB and get sacks. THEY GET OFF THE FIELD."

Bend but don't break? More like bend and bend and bend, then break anyway.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Until you can generate a pass rush and get pressure on the opposing QB
    you will continue to see mediocre Qbs shred the PGH Steelers. I mentioned this way before preseason
    Matter of fact I even put it as the most important question concercerning the Steelers Very sad performance
    from the PGH STEELERS. How come Kiesel, Woodley, Hampon always gets free passes
    when handling out critisism? Our playmakers are not producing,and our defensive schemes
    are not working.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I couldn't agree more with that! I am so sick of people drinking the "we are ranked number 1" Kool-Aid. The true fans have known for years that this d is slipping. We that keep up with the team faithfully know very well the reason we were "number 1" last year was because of a WEAK schedule. These "rankings" do nothing but excite stupid poser fantasy football fanboys. I get mad when fantasy guys come up to me and say "what happened to that defense? they've done nothing this year" and I say "they've sucked for the past few years but because you don't watch them and just listen to some fantasy commentator you buy the number one myth." It's the same with qb rating as well. All it is is a marketing tool to sale tickets. "Come out and see the number 1 ranked D" or "Come out and see the highest rated passer in the league"! It's just ridiculous how they try to make a stat for everything. Where are your wins? That's the stat that counts.

25. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

:amen: