1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player should be the pick at #49?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Brycen Hopkins TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Adam Trautman TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Justin Jefferson WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Jonathan Taylor RB

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Denzel Mims WR

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Chase Claypool WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know about him, his stop and go and cutting is amazing and is an excellent route runner. His long speed and blocking are the knocks on him but I think he would be a good blocker with some work, he’s low to the ground and has leverage and he’s 209lbs, its not like he’s 5’8 and 185lbs. He’s a little tank.

I really don’t think we need a RB, not with our first pick of the draft anyway but if they think this is Conners last year, you could do a lot worse than Helaire. Has the tools to be very successful.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't care, I wouldn't draft him at #49.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Might not be ideal for us at 49 because we have other needs but whoever drafts him I bet gets a helluva RB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Amazing how some folks never learn. The draft is about finding good football players, not track athletes. Edwards-Helaire is a terrific football player. He was more and more of a factor as the games, and in-game situations, got more meaningful. So yeah, dismiss him based on height and 40 time :facepalm:. Maybe we can find a guy who has the height/weight/speed pedigree, but is not a proven football player. After all, what’s football got to do with it?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I don't think he will. Who really is going to be gone is Justin Jefferson, for sure.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You guys do realize pick 49 is over half way through the 2nd round. :cool:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a winner, and will be whatever he chooses to do with his life.

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I really like K.J. Hamler. Guy is really explosive. Don't know what the prospect of him being available at #49, but I wouldn't mind that pick.

Of course I'm a PSU homer. lol

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have more important needs at 49 IMO and have seen both Dobbins and CEH projected in the 3rd.

Whatever RB they take will be 3rd on the depth chart anyway. They won’t start baring injuries. Think their impact would be minimal for the 2020 season.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    This is really the most important point. With Ben's career on a clock, who can help us the most in 2020 and 2021?

We've seen what it's like not to have Ben. It's not pretty. We need to be aggressive right now. The Ebron shows our desperation to win now.

We also see what happens to our run game when Conner is injured or even unavailable. I don't think Snell is up to the challenge to being a lead back and it doesn't seem like we had faith in Samuels last year to be that guy either.

I'm looking at our roster and I'm trying to find a hole where someone could contribute immediately. I think the obvious point is OG. I wish there was that Will Hernandez type we could plug in at LG. Cushenberry? Biadasz? Kind of more C prospects who could play in at LG in a oinch. And then take over for Pouncey when he retires, which he says again and again is the same time Ben retires.

Maybe a big WR could contribute in 2020 and 2021 but our top 3 are pretty locked in.

I don't know what our plans are for NT which is why I think some opted for a DT in our mock draft.

I think we're set at LB for 2020. We could go S but I doubt anyone supplants Edmunds this year.

To me at #49, it's OG or RB all the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You still have not named one 5'7 guy that ran a 4.6 or slower.

Challenge: Name any RB to rush for over 1,000 yds that was 5'7 or shorter than ran slower than a 4.6.

I love Cam Akers highlights because every third one seems to be a passing play!

If we pass on him in the 2nd, he will not be there for us in the 3rd.

I think he is the best RB in this year's draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Ate you really stuck on 5'7? That much different from 5'8 or 5'9. For which there is plenty of proof.

I'd have to look. MJD was likely that height but I know he ran really fast. I'll see what I can find though.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Add me to the list of Clyde as well. Game breaking speed or not, good luck finding a Running Back who has better overall instincts with the explosiveness and agility to compliment it. Add his 370 total touches and Clyde is essentially a safe bet. Pick 49 is still a bit too high for my liking but if all other options are gone, CEH would get my vote. I am with Blast to say he does fall into Round 3 but he is likely gone as he is a Top 75 player in my opinion.

Regarding Running Backs with track speed, those players usually are either rare prospects or ones who have been all but ran into the ground by the time they get into the NFL. As such, I would not draft Johnathan Taylor either. His tread, fumble woes and Wisconsin's tremendous offensive line play give me pause. As I said, nearly one thousand touches is asking for trouble.

350-650 touches in a collegiate career to the pros is the sweet spot for Running Backs who have a good shot to last longer in the NFL. 700 to 750 is pushing it. Anything over 775 is considered the danger zone. Add the fact that Running Backs have the shortest life span of any NFL player at 2.5 years and adding any back with that load will increase the likelihood of that back becoming an injury risk.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Okay... and?!?!

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:this!:

This is not even accounting for the fact that, since 2010, production, size and consistency matter more than athleticism for the Steelers; Le'Veon Bell being the most prime example. Heck; Benny Snell Jr. showcased some good flashes in his rookie season. However, none of that is a factor. Here is a better question;

People do realize that James Conner is likely to not be on the roster in 2021 right?! For that matter, people do realize that Jaylen Samuels is likely not to even be on the roster come the start of the current season as well?!? :hmm:

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    jacquizz rodgers was 5'6" and ran a 4.64 forty at the combine.. Highest year total was 560 yards, but every player is different too. One's success or not doesn't mean others will fail.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s actually listed at 5’ 8 . I guess that makes him a can’t miss now? lol People need to realize that a lot of these guys running stellar 40 times are usually track guys. They ran track in HS and or college. The most important thing when running these 40s is getting off the blocks and text book form. That’s where the 1/100s of a second come into play. Like you said ...how often does a RB run straight for 40 yds? It’s about making guys miss. You have to do that first before you can sprint 40yds. Speed in pads is also different as well. Quickness and burst are just as important as pure speed. CEH has that in spades. I’m not knocking Akers I think he is very good as well and if I had a choice between CEH at 49 or Akers with our 3rd comp or 4th I’d go with Akers. Both available at those spots,I like CEH....jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not to be a broken record here but...... CHE is a good back, but who did it consistently in big games? Who went over 2000 yards last year while sitting out many of his team's 4th qtrs and sometimes whole 2nd halves. Who doesn't need time to learn to be a blocker? Dobbins that's who. We were the 29th rushing team in the league last year. That has to increase by far. 49 is not too high for a rb that can help your team. If we had a first everybody would be wanting a rb in the 2nd. Guard may be the other position that could contribute right away. A 4th or 5th wr won't have near the impact. :cool:

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nothing against any RB mentioned but I am not on board with one at 49. I am looking at this team and I see some positions like S, DT/NT, IOL, OLB/ILB as bigger needs with players that should see more playing time this year. Many here have said we are all in and that is fine so with us not having a 1st rounder, and a 3rd very very late I feel 49 has to be impact kind of guy no?

I like these names being thrown around that is not the issue however there are 2 guys I really love later on and they are Dillon and Perine. I see a lot of value/starter material in these guys while still using the 49 pick on a guy that will(i hope) be a major contributor this year. JMO

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think anyone has a beef with Dobbins. The thing is, the chances of him being there are 10%. This team NEEDS to go offense with their only pick in the top 100. They just spent a gazillion dollars on Bud and every other player on defense is a high pick except for VW98.

And Ben still is a question mark until everything there is sorted out. If they go RB or WR and an OL with the first two picks, I would be fine with that. I haven't been in the RB at 49 camp, but the only one I wouldn't mind is Dobbins.

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE Dobbins. Might be the best RB in the class. If he's there at #49, it's a no-brainer for me.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks plenty fast enough to me....

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    CEH ability to chop his feet when needed is sooo good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy I think an OLB is my choice. That can make an impact. What happens if Tj or Dud go down
    for any time?

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we have to have some faith in Ola and Tuzar. Yes they are unproven both have flashed in back to back preseasons.

Now I do think we have to take a OLB in this draft but that person isn't going to make much of an impact this year.

It may be overly optimistic but I feel better about both Ola and Tuzar than I ever did of Chickillo.

• Agree Agree x 2