1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any serious golfers?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Stone, Feb 19, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Only if you are drinking........:drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Living in a summer resort we have about 20 mini golf. Once summer is over and they close down me a few others use them to practice our putting. The beach when the tide is just right is an amazing slick surface to putt on. I love trying to putt to gulls sitting on the beach.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    BC5D6CBE-9210-4A8B-9CD3-B1A2F99DF41A.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What a golf ball that goes in the hole:shrug::hehehe:. Where’s @Stone? that’s a double entendre....;)

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes most defiantly and especially when on the green.........

7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    First it was overdue library books, now I'm sneaking on the golf course. A virus has made me a criminal:) A nice Par 3 has people on it everyday so I started going too. Owner turns a blind eye to it since he needs the $$$$$. Us older folks stay alone but them youngsters don't seem to care. Still very easy to stay apart from others. Owner put foam rubber around bottom of flags so a putt is good if it hits the rubber. He doesn't want the flag poles touched. Putting is a lot easier like this.

NJ Golf course association has sent letter to our Gov saying open the damn courses up!! I'm sure other states have also. My son runs a course in LA., one of the harder hit states and their courses remain open with some restrictions.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think that's how double entendre works? Double entry maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Yippie, NJ bows down to PA. and opens the golf courses. Once PA. said they were opening the NJ golf association got on our Governor and he gave the OK.

Actually I'm pissed about it, I was enjoying having the course pretty much to myself. Most that were on during shutdown was about 10 of us. I expect this weekend it will be packed.

10. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I love to play even though I am a hack. Here are my beauties.:

clubs.jpg

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Heading out to practice today and play later if I can get the new mechanics working. I took a lesson at the end of last year and while I know I have to make the correction, it's so hard to do it in competition. My mind doesn't trust the new swing and so I fall back to the old swing.

Played nine holes last week after an hour and half of practice and shot even par but I have to admit I had to use one mulligan because this new swing jerked the ****ing ball straight into the woods:cool:

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nice looking set!

I don't think I've ever said that to a guy before:huh:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I too am a hack but love it. Your clubs remind me of how good looking clubs use to make me think they would change my game. When I was younger and could play better and hit a driver I use to buy clubs way too much. Now as an old man I'm so happy we have a beautiful Par 3 five miles away from me which has no sand (even though I was decent out of bunkers) and no water. Longest hole is 150 yards. Keeps the game enjoyable to me. Course record is -7, best for me was even par 54. Now with the aches and pains of aging my goal is +9.

14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    As I grow older I'm not close to what I was as a young man toward golfing but one thing for sure, the mental side of game is HUGE. I forget what famous golfer said this but it's so true, "Golf is played with the six inches between your ears." Something to that effect.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ben Hogan said "golf is 90% mental and when you get that figured out you are half way there" In other words, it's all mental and then more mental.

My biggest problem now is concentration. I have been a low single digit handicap my entire life so I can simply relay on my swing.....but........mid-way through the swing I forget to make a basic swing and I try to "do something". When people see me get angry they say "you can't expect to play like you used too" And I have to explain that I am not angry that I can't break par every day, I am angry that I can't maintain concentration for the 1.5 seconds it takes to swing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Getting old? Arms don't have the strength they use to have? I found help with a golf ball. Someone gave me a W/S Duo soft golf ball. Really can feel the difference. Great for the slow swing speed I now have. Ball stayed straighter and I'd say 5-7 yards was added in distance.

Researching I see other companies make them but seems Wilson are the cheapest.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Club head speed is the only thing that generates distance, and club head speed comes from flexibility rather than strength. Look for ways to create a more flexible swing such as hand position (keep them low and tight to your body), grip (a weak grip decreases club head speed), delayed release (remember that you can only accelerate one time in a golf swing, make sure it's at impact and not at the top), etc.

It's awesome when you find a ball that feels right.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh's own Brendon Todd is going for his third victory of the PGA season today. 8/2/2020.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Played in a 3-day event this past weekend and made "lots" of money. If I could do that once a month I could quit working:cool:

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    GET OFF MY GOLF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK it's not actually mine but due to covid our summer resort town has many summer people staying around. The owner loves it but us members hate it. We use to have course pretty much to ourselves in this beautiful fall weather but now it's packed daily.