1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is our starting NT next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Mar 24, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You haven't proven me wrong on anything, certainly not with your analogies that makes no sense :shrug:. Yeah NT is so complicated, that Hargrave a mid round pick started as a rookie :facepalm:. A rookie might not start, but will be in the rotation with some of their vets. Also Hargrave came from a small school and was able to grasp the defense, and start as a rookie.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Small school doesn't matter as much as many think as far as the grasping of play. Football is football. It's not played different. The level of competition may be different but the concepts are not like talking Russian. How well players mesh with new schemes and assignments per scheme may be a little more intricate but not things they have never heard of. Physical skills, technique, body form are bigger hurrdles. Now as we did with watt, drafting guys that played in similar schemes can get it quicker. Gay was the same. That's why he played earlier and easier. In the end its still football. Assignments are the hardest thing to learn. Recognition of that assignment and reaction properly to each assignment and how quickly is the part that takes time.:cool:

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It kind of does matter, the Steelers haven't drafted a player from a small school in the first 2 rounds since 2004, when they got Ben, Colclough :facepalm:.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What do you guys think about Henry Mondeaux?

Rumor was he was killing it during camp last year?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    where was the part about first two rounds. You were talking about a small school draftee.:cool:

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You sure missed the point on this one. :facepalm:

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually I didn't try again :facepalm:

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I, like many others, have proven that you simply like to argue. And proving that you disappear from threads once you are proven wrong, is not worth the time......kinda like interacting with you;)

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think we'll draft a guy. At what point that happens in the draft I have no idea.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cool story bro :lolol:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think buggs will end up as the nose. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I this so as well. Remember he was asked to cut weight last year so if they take those restrictions away he can bulk up enough.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know a few of you will know my opinion already buy I will still say it. They had a chance to get Dontari Poe. AGAIN! I mean I like the Watt signing and getting Ebron and Wiz but they could have gotten Poe. The guy is a true nose that played the position at a high level and he played DT in a 4-3 at a high level as well. The two games against the Ravens would have been worth the cost plus if the Browns really do plan to run downhill he would have been worth even more. The man would clog up th he middle freeing Bush and VWill to float towards the edge and support Bud and Watt and string the run out and attack Jackson. They could have had him on a 1 year deal. POE!

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I like him, definitely interested in seeing his progression to year 2!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Getting a guy like Poe would be absolutely awesome but everything this time of year is about the salary cap unfortunately. They can’t afford a guy like that, if they could they’d have simply paid Hargrave. I have no doubt it hurt them to see him go

They will pick somebody in the draft or pick up a cheap free agent. If not, they will probably rotate the nose position, I could see Tuitt and Heyward playing a few snaps there with Alualu, Biggs and Wormley rotating in at times and depending on who they are playing.

I can’t understand why McCullers is still taking up a roster spot. Take a swing on a UDFA or a reclamation project at the vet minimum but seeing that guy there year after year doing nothing is really baffling

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Four years ago before he signed with the Falcons the Steelers could afford him and didn't even try they were too caught up with wooing Hightower, who played the Steelers into setting the market for him so he could go back to the Pats and say this is what I want and got it. Meanwhile the opportunity to get Poe passed by. Yep they drafted Hargrave and he was a heck of a player but not a true nose. I haven't seen what the Cowboys gave Poe but if it is a 2 year 12 million a year I'd have given up Dupree to make that work.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Haven’t seen the cowboys figure either but I doubt you are far out $6m - $8m per year sounds about right.

I just think they have too many other needs to be spending $6m + on a NT to play 30% - 40% of the snaps. The Defensive Line is already the teams strongest position unit, I wouldn’t be on board with putting any more money in there unless you got somebody on a deal that is just too good to pass on.

They are desperately short of depth right across the LB corp and at safety and they have very limited draft capital or cap space to fix it. That needs to be addressed before anything else.

Agree on Hargrave, he is not a true NT but he did a commendable job there and he was also able to contribute in sub packages. That’s probably the future of the position in the league in all honesty

Jmo, would love to build on the strength of the existing line but it’s not really doable with the position the Steelers are in in relation to the cap

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When was the last time Poe was a factor on a team?

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree was a decision made before free agency started, so that likely wasn't an option. It also wouldn't have been necessary. It's funny that you specifically mentioned $12 million for two years. That is exactly what they gave Ebron. I can see the argument that they would have been better off giving that to Poe. I don't see the argument for him over Dupree. Nose tackles just don't get enough snaps for the Steelers. I think that is why they chose to make Dupree a priority over Hargrave.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they always wanted to sign Dupree to a second contract. He threw a wrench in their plans last year by performing better than what they want to sign him for.

If we see him in a lot of coverage (something I think he does very well) this coming year, don't be surprised.