1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will There Even Be an NFL Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 12, 2020.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Been wondering about him too. We had a fun bet during the last season.

2. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That was interesting. I didn't realize that. With respect to those who were lost I'm just glad we didn't stop the world for the other ones. I wonder if this is the new norm?? Every time a virus comes along we go through this. I usually envy the young but this has made me glad I had my prime. I feel for the young and the future they will face. I get a flu shot every year but I guess it is only for a few of the strains.

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm glad I reached retirement age years ago. I feel bad for all of the people who have lost their jobs because of the Wu Flu. For those of us who are getting the stimulus check that we really don't need, I suggest helping out family and friends who do need the money.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If counting midterm elections which that chart does, not really interesting at all.

And flu shot does nothing to prevent this virus, it’s not the flu.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He would have to work something out with Terrell Edmunds, who currently wears 34.

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Not the elections I found interesting. I found it interesting that those problems didn't stop the country like this. Actually I forgot about most of them.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There wont be an NFL season until they develope a proven anti virus vaccine which will have to go through a clinical testing period to prove its effectiveness, so looking at least a year or longer including mass production leaves this season in limbo until 2021, then producing enough vaccine to inoculate 325 million people will take a long time, this virus isnt just going to disappear on its own like people seem think it will.....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They don’t have to eradicate it before life begins to go back to normal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Says who?

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Says experts like DR Fauci. This social distancing is about getting ahead of the curve so hospitals can handle the flow of sick patients. Do you really think they can shut the economy down for over a year?

China took 2 months and have begun easing restrictions. You are also discounting the thousands of people who got it and have developed some immunity to it.

We’ll likely experience this in several more waves but none will be as severe as this time and will go smoother since we have been through it already. The key is testing, otherwise they are flying blind.

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    They havent tested enough people to even know how many people are infected, if they try to start up this economy again then the spread of this virus will really become a mass kiiling field of epic proportions.............

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They haven’t, they are way behind but doing a better job of it now. Still needs to be better. I’m just saying they don’t need a vaccine and to administer it to every person before they start easing restrictions.

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012

COVID-19 is an American catastrophe, a slow-motion disaster only now coming into view. When its true proportions have been measured, it will make the early government response look even more outrageous than it already seems. What’s happening here, in this country, was avoidable. Nearly every flaw in America’s response to the virus has one source: America did not test enough people for COVID-19.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    This is dead wrong.

15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    You have to think mini camps and all offseason team activities are off which then puts players at pretty good injury risk come training camp which also seems like a long shot. Ben will be 40 by the time this team plays ball again.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    OTA’s start in May usually. I don’t see that happening but maybe by June? The latest they could push it back and still start the season on time I would think would be July. They could shorten preseason to help offset the late start.

Longer than that, you’d be looking at having to start the season in October.

I doubt they will have to cancel the season. We are hopefully passed the worst of this by then.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Before we get to where stadium crowds will be allowed, I think we’re going to need to get things under control such that there’s no longer any community spread and/or there is a breakthrough in therapeutic treatments that dramatically reduce severe outcomes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a football season without fans in attendance.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    that might be more painful that watching wrestling lately. Empty arena, three people in the ring, folding chairs with caricatures on the backs that one of the wrestlers makes out with. Just a strange product to put on display, I flipped past it fairly quickly

20. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I don’t understand why owners would want games with no fans? TV royalties I suppose but seems like they would be losing a lot with no ticket revenue or concessions??

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, But that’s better than losing 100% of game day revenues. The TV money is big.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Television brings in a larger percentage of the NFL's revenue than game day revenues at the stadium. The NFL would certainly be taking a hit, but not nearly as much of one as they would losing an entire season.

23. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019

Empty stadiums would be Eerie. Let’s hope this thing slows down in the summer thus giving us (scientists) more time to figure something out. I live in upstate NY and have two little kids. Pretty much petrified to leave my house right now as the NYC victims are getting shipped up here.

somedays when I wake up I think it’s a bad dream. I’m also a Financial Advisor who can’t avoid the news completely and am reminded this hell is real and not going anywhere anytime soon.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They could do the whole thing via a massive Zoom conference instead.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Will they be allowing tv production crews in the stadiums to record the games? I could see a radio announcer because he flies mostly solo but a whole travelling crew who has been God knows where?