1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best super bowl winning team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Mar 25, 2020.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks for admitting you weren't wrong.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The '84 Niners team was damn good. 15-1. Guess who beat them? :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Mark Malone?

• Like Like x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    85’ Bears. Joe Montana’s bones would of been broken by halftime ala the Leonard Marshall hit. Just because they lost 1 game on MNF to a powerhouse offense doesn’t mean much. Didn’t every team besides Miami lose a game at some point? That D was completely dominant.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It wasn't Tomlin. Cowher might have pulled it off. :shrug:

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Terry didn't lose SBs. We had 2 receivers better than Gault. Without Payton nobody would have remembered da 85 Bears.

Buddy Ryan had them out for blood. Out of all the characters on that team, Buddy trumped them all in must see tv. Ditka, McMahon, Sweetness, the fridge, Singletary, fast Willie. Dude was Chicago's Bob Knight.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    For me, the thing with that team that sticks out to me most were Singletary's eyes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

The GM/owner's son in law messed up that Bears team by being cheap and not paying players like Gault and Marshall.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am relentlessly honest and I wasn't wrong. I never said the '85 49ers were better than the '85 Bears.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was living in New Orleans at the time, so all I ever saw from that game was the score and a few highlights. I have always wondered how the Steelers pulled that one off.

Edit: I couldn't find the full game online, but I did find this on YouTube with 16:26 of game clips.

The Steelers were dead in the water on a fourth-down incomplete pass with about three minutes left, but they were saved by a pass interference call. John Stallworth tied the game up a few plays later with an excellent touchdown catch.

Bryan Hinkle made a leaping interception and returned it to the five to set up the go-ahead field goal by Gary Anderson. Joe Montana drove the 49ers right back down the field with under two minutes and no time outs, but Ray Wershing missed a 37-yard field goal in the final seconds. I imagine there are still some 49ers fans who think that team should have been undefeated.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Who said the '85 49ers were better than the '85 Bears? No one. I wished you could have moved the goalposts for Boswell in 2018 like you have here.

Formerscribe, "Of course we'll never know, but the 49ers' West Coast offense was perfectly designed to take advantage of the Bears' 46 defense."

We kind of do know. You were wrong about the West Coast offense being perfectly designed to take advantage of the Bears' 46 defense. I gave you the facts of a Bears road game against defending Super Bowl champs and dominating. In fact, at the time the 46 defense was the perfect defense against the west coast offense. The west coast offense was built around a short passing game, but the Bears had so many players in the box, it made the offense ineffective for the ground game and short passes. Miami proved that to beat the Bears, protecting the QB and attacking the vacated blitzing areas was the key. The Bears still sacked Marino 3 times that game, but considering the number of blitzes he faced, Marino fared pretty well. Most of the time, I appreciate your posts because you give good insights. I was tending to agree with you until I researched the facts.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I moved around a lot for a period of time. I happened to be living in Chicago in 85. I watched the game downtown and afterwards there were more people there than the entire population of Pittsburgh. It was a mix between exhilarating and scarier than al crap. And colder than a witches tit.

Da Bears

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I wasn't wrong. Superior talent can overcome superior design in a single game. The Bears were better than the 49ers in '85.

Now put one of the all-time great 49ers teams, like the '89 squad, out there with the West Coast offense and you will see what that design can do when the teams are comparable.

The West Coast offense does allow for attacking vacated zones. The '89 49ers were also able to attack down the field. Imagine the damage Jerry Rice in his prime would have done against what was not a great Chicago secondary. Rice was on the '85 team, but that was his rookie year and he was erratic that season, nowhere near the player he would become.

The one wild card when you compare what those 49ers teams might have done and what the '85 Dolphins did do was Marino. Montana was the better overall quarterback, but Marino might have been the tougher matchup for the Bears because his release was so quick and he could fire the ball into tight spots better than anybody.

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

I do not know if there are any words that can describe the Steelers 1976 Defense. In that nine game span they gave up 28 points and recorded five shutouts as you probably know. That is Totally Unfathomable. It is unfortunate that our Bread and Butter Offense (Franco, Rocky and the running game) went down the week before in the playoff game against the Colts. Which by the way the Steelers annihilated them. Unfortunately, as you probably remember we went down to the Raiders the next week. Oh well, what could have been if we had them for that game. However, injuries are part of the game. Nonetheless, Greatest Defense of all-time IMO not just the Greatest Steelers' Defense ever.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That's odd - only a few months ago I was watching the same game on youtube.

I did another search just now and, ,like you say, it's gone.

There's a nice write up here, though: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111380-pittsburghs-forgotten-classics-steelers-vs-49ers-1984

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I go way back to Joe Namath and the NY Jets. I was a youngster and the older men folks of my family hated Namath and were sure he would take a pounding. They also hated their wives were swooning over him. I so enjoyed watching them ***** and moan the whole game.

Didn't understand thread. I have no idea what the Jets regular season was that season.

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Boswell attempts a field goal. He kicks. It is going wide left. Wait! Formerscribe moves the goal post, the field goal is good. Here's the last word if you want it: Zyzzyva ( look it up).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was always talking about the best 49ers teams against the best Bears teams. When you have two great teams, matchups become key. That is why I focus more on the '89 49ers because they weren't quite as reliant on the run as the '84 team. That is where the West Coast offense would give the 49ers the ability to take advantage of the Bears.

I dismissed your first post as an understandable misreading on your part. That you continue to repeat the incorrect information makes it a lie.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Noll. '84 was one of his best coaching years, IMO. 1989 too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    :beathorse:
    He's never wrong. Just ask him. It must be something wrong with you and your logic. No other explanation. ;)

• Like Like x 1